Market in the toilet who’s buying?

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How does an multi apartment owner make money now? The tenants don't have jobs so they are no longer paying rent.
My tenants are still employed, still paying rent.

It doesnt matter bro, landlords are like so rich, they are the 1%. Those greedy bastards charge too much.
I dunno about that. I own my rental prop outright. My rent prices are at average for the location. After maintenance, routine repairs and replacements, taxes, heating (I pay the heat) electrical for common spaces, insurance, grounds keeping, snow removal and normal painting, I cleared $3K. Remember that is without a mortgage and interest payments. I cannot fathom how people can pay a mortgage and stay above the red line.

I put more than 4K a year into property updates. I have to replace 11 double hung single pane windows this year. It's an old exterior porch converted to unheated interior in the 50's. Price 11 thermopane windows and replacement costs. And that's just this years scheduled updates.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My tenants are still employed, still paying rent.

I dunno about that. I own my rental prop outright. My rent prices are at average for the location. After maintenance, routine repairs and replacements, taxes, heating (I pay the heat) electrical for common spaces, insurance, grounds keeping, snow removal and normal painting, I cleared $3K. Remember that is without a mortgage and interest payments. I cannot fathom how people can pay a mortgage and stay above the red line.

I put more than 4K a year into property updates. I have to replace 11 double hung single pane windows this year. It's an old exterior porch converted to unheated interior in the 50's. Price 11 thermopane windows and replacement costs. And that's just this years scheduled updates.

You missed the most important part if my post "[/liberal]"

I know the expenses and risks a landlord has to put up with.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Fed announced a $27 trillion per year bond buying program, and stocks staged a 10% turnaround.

this is the last round in the Fed's arsenal, until Congress changes the law and allows them to buy stocks.

67ray

NES Member
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Fed announced a $27 trillion per year bond buying program, and stocks staged a 10% turnaround.

this is the last round in the Fed's arsenal, until Congress changes the law and allows them to buy stocks.
Not quite. They still can manipulate M1/M2 money through quantitative easing

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
My buddy has been suggesting to choose from visa, Microsoft, Voo, Apple, Berkshire Hathaway class b, Union Pacific and Shell among a few others I can’t remember.
But seems like I should wait a little longer. And I’m not sold on the stocks he mentioned aside from visa, shell, Apple and Microsoft.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sounds like I should hold off on buying some stocks...
For 10 years, buying every dip worked beautifully. It's hard for investors to shake off that habit engrained in their brains. The smart money is handing their shares to the dumb money. My wife has been buying - sure sign we will go much lower.

I'm gonna buy when we go down another 8% or so, but only as a short-term trade. Long term buyers should wait for a 70% drop from the high (Dow 10k, S&P500 1200). Or start trickling into the market on the way down if you have the stomach for that.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My buddy has been suggesting to choose from visa, Microsoft, Voo, Apple, Berkshire Hathaway class b, Union Pacific and Shell among a few others I can’t remember.
But seems like I should wait a little longer. And I’m not sold on the stocks he mentioned aside from visa, shell, Apple and Microsoft.
Buy them when your buddy sells.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Buy them when your buddy sells.
He doesn’t sell often from what he told me. He buys stocks for a longer term investment/retirement etc. Which is what I’d like to do. Don’t want to have to rely only on my pension in 30 years. My 457b plan is hurting right now but I ain’t touching it until I retire so I’ve got time to build it back up.

Last edited:

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
He doesn’t sell often from what he told me. He buys stocks for a longer term investment/retirement etc. Which is what I’d like to do. Don’t want to have to rely only on my pension in 30 years. My 457b plan is hurting right now but I ain’t touching it until I retire so I’ve got time to build it back up.
Not talking about him cause I don't know him, but many investors when their entire nest egg is down 70% and they think it's going down 100%, they will sell. It's human nature. People rushing to buy now can't conceive of it being down 70% in another week, so they're not mentally prepared for it.

Buy when it makes you sick to your stomach to buy. Not when you're excited to buy.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Not talking about him cause I don't know him, but many investors when their entire nest egg is down 70% and they think it's going down 100%, they will sell. It's human nature. People rushing to buy now can't conceive of it being down 70% in another week, so they're not mentally prepared for it.

Buy when it makes you sick to your stomach to buy. Not when you're excited to buy.
Ohh gotcha. That makes sense for sure. If I had tens of thousands of dollars in stocks being lost daily, I would definitely feel compelled to bail before it’s too late.

boiler_eng

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked VTI over VOO (total market vs. sp500) in my personal portfolio.

I am currently looking at MNR (Monmouth Real Estate Investment Corporation – At Monmouth, we are not striving to be the largest Company. Our goal is to be a better Company. Our focus is always on the long term, for that which is of lasting value takes time.)

I am looking at putting more in COR ( Secure, Reliable, High-performance Interconnection, Cloud and Colocation Solutions | CoreSite)

The only one I can confidently promote is VTI as it is an index fund and less apt to be a bad pick from my imperfect judgement.

boiler_eng

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked VTI over VOO (total market vs. sp500) in my personal portfolio.

I am currently looking at MNR (Monmouth Real Estate Investment Corporation – At Monmouth, we are not striving to be the largest Company. Our goal is to be a better Company. Our focus is always on the long term, for that which is of lasting value takes time.)

I am looking at putting more in COR ( Secure, Reliable, High-performance Interconnection, Cloud and Colocation Solutions | CoreSite)

The only one I can confidently promote is VTI as it is an index fund and less apt to be a bad pick from my imperfect judgement.
Just traded some VNQ for MNR C

Bought another round of COR

So I waste my money on my own advice.

I am happy with both, fairly confident in their health, but never listen to me because I have lost a small pile of money on the stocks I have bought in the last few weeks.

[flame]

boiler_eng

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please NESrs hold onto your money. Financial markets are in unchartered waters. You will have an opportunity to buy!
Fair point, though that hasn't stopped me.

I would say that now is the time to start reading previous disclosures by the companies you are interested in and then look at their reports after Q1 is over. That will provide some good context for explaining the WHY of if and how they will weather Q2 better than others.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I bought a whole bunch of stocks this past week, I staged them all around 15-25% lower of their market price at the time (some sat all week until executed). All orders except 3 executed. Now they are all up 15-22% ... and SOLD.

I dont do day trading, but in this market it isnt hard.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
How does an multi apartment owner make money now?

The tenants don't have jobs so they are no longer paying rent.

The landlord still has to pay for water and other utilities and taxes.

What are they going to do now?
I've been calling it "trickle-up economics." As lower income folks can't pay, it doesn't make sense for landlords (commercial and residential) to chuck everyone on the street. Everyone is going to just have to wait a little bit to get things back to normal. It isn't just the "little guy" that is going to feel the effects. Thing will ripple to hit everyone in the business community.

Yep its possible. 10k sounds like the end of the world but when its put into historical context, 30k to 10k is just a blip. Looking at that chart if it happens over a period of years its just a normal pullback.
Just a blip. And doing heart surgery via your anus is just a minor medical procedure. ROFL!

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I bought a whole bunch of stocks this past week, I staged them all around 15-25% lower of their market price at the time (some sat all week until executed). All orders except 3 executed. Now they are all up 15-22% ... and SOLD.

I dont do day trading, but in this market it isnt hard.
Did you use extended hours? I forget to use that cause most of what I've been buying is OTC which you can't use extended on.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Did you use extended hours? I forget to use that cause most of what I've been buying is OTC which you can't use extended on.
No.

I make it easy ... let's say STOCK A is trading at $12 today and I think it will go down to $10.

I place a buy order for $10 and make it good until cancelled.

When the stock hits $10, it gets executed.

You can do the same for sales. So you can stage the sale at $12 and not worry about being infront of your computer.

I use Merrill. I dont know what other brokerage platforms allow you to do. I would Imagine that the big ones allow you to do that, it is fairly basic.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Nice list of stocks in the article.
I'm in a holding pattern, TD Ameritrade account with cash ready on the sideline.

Top Bottom