Market in the toilet who’s buying?

boiler_eng

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each his own. All I can tell you is that I retired in my 40s and my ability to do so had nothing to do with stocks and almost everything to do with real estate.
Ive helped steer most of my family and friends into buying proerty. For example, when my son and his coworkers each received their profit sharing checks all of them but my son put their money into their stock portfolios. My son used his for a down payment on a laundromat with an apartment above. My son's property earns a net $1800 a month. His coworkers bonuses stayed flat after some gains, some losses and fees. I wonder how they look today.
That was a little over three years ago. So he's had three years of positive cash flow and the equity in his property has increased by almost $65,000 according to his latest market evaluation. And if he wants to improve the value of his property he can make investments in paint, siding, newer washers, etc, and then he can have the unit reappraised and draw off the equity cash tax free. Try that move with your stock fund.
Sounds great, something I should aspire to. Don't have the funds to do that at the moment so locating REITs that are giving 4-10% dividends where they are buying properties,taking the lease money, professionally managing them, and paying myself and the other shareholders.

Will settle for that till I figure sourcing the rest of the money to buy directly.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
How does an multi apartment owner make money now?

The tenants don't have jobs so they are no longer paying rent.

The landlord still has to pay for water and other utilities and taxes.

What are they going to do now?

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0

Ultimately, we'll get to a point where the only landlords are the government and/or large corporations who work with the government.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
To each his own. All I can tell you is that I retired in my 40s and my ability to do so had nothing to do with stocks and almost everything to do with real estate.
Ive helped steer most of my family and friends into buying proerty. For example, when my son and his coworkers each received their profit sharing checks all of them but my son put their money into their stock portfolios. My son used his for a down payment on a laundromat with an apartment above. My son's property earns a net $1800 a month. His coworkers bonuses stayed flat after some gains, some losses and fees. I wonder how they look today.
That was a little over three years ago. So he's had three years of positive cash flow and the equity in his property has increased by almost $65,000 according to his latest market evaluation. And if he wants to improve the value of his property he can make investments in paint, siding, newer washers, etc, and then he can have the unit reappraised and draw off the equity cash tax free. Try that move with your stock fund.
Most all really rich people I know are property owners, owning duplex's, etc. I've watched and learned its not for everyone, it's almost like it's a total success or total failure for those I see. If you can figure the in's and out's of being a landlord, the reward is much greater than the risk.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
1500 is not unreasonable. In '00 and '07 we peaked around there. We broke above that level in '13. Hopefully it acts as support on the way back down.
This is the Dow but looks like 10,000 at least. At Dow 19k we've only given up the gains we got AFTER the market became a ridiculous bubble.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
yea, I wrote down some buy-limit prices on stocks I wanted last night. All my prices were around 2012 low market prices, numbers that the average person would probably laugh at, saying it will never go that low again, but looking at this chart it looks entirely possible, especially with the state of things today.

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
This is the Dow but looks like 10,000 at least. At Dow 19k we've only given up the gains we got AFTER the market became a ridiculous bubble.

Yep its possible. 10k sounds like the end of the world but when its put into historical context, 30k to 10k is just a blip. Looking at that chart if it happens over a period of years its just a normal pullback.

Spartan65

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Personally I am in this situation. Reserves will fill the gap hopefully the sting is not more than I can handle. I’m upset about it but it has been a great decade for my business. I won’t qualify for any government assistance and tenants will complain down the road when we have to raise rents to make up the loss. The only silver lining would be if market prices come down and we can increase our holdings. But I am not holding my breath on that.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

That was a huge fear of mine, one of my tenants is a manager of stop and shop and is busier than ever and the other was told to work from home with pay. Not sure what I would have done if not I would have to work something out with them they are great tenants.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Some of you will laugh at the prices I'm looking for (some may be repeats from above):
Opinions wanted please.
Roku - 20
MO 20
Uber 15 to 10
AMZN 500 to 200
BAC 10 to 5
PFE 20
ABBV 50
SO 40
CVX 40-20
XOM 30
AEP 40 to 30
INTC 25
Googl 500
MMM 50

NickLeduc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Screw stocks. Buy land.
Buying land and buying rental properties are tow different animals.

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Some of you will laugh at the prices I'm looking for (some may be repeats from above):
Opinions wanted please.
Roku - 20
MO 20
Uber 15 to 10
AMZN 500 to 200
BAC 10 to 5
PFE 20
ABBV 50
SO 40
CVX 40-20
XOM 30
AEP 40 to 30
INTC 25
Googl 500
MMM 50
Im a nobody but the couple of names that jump out at me are MMM and AMZN. Thinking they probably go lower with everything else, but the decline may be a bit muted due to them benefiting from the current situation. 3M making masks and protective gear, Amazon shipping stuff like crazy, people ordering stuff to keep out of stores or to get stuff that isnt available locally.

Wouldnt be surprised if they drop with everything else, just not sure they will get down to deep discount levels.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Im a nobody but the couple of names that jump out at me are MMM and AMZN. Thinking they probably go lower with everything else, but the decline may be a bit muted due to them benefiting from the current situation. 3M making masks and protective gear, Amazon shipping stuff like crazy, people ordering stuff to keep out of stores or to get stuff that isnt available locally.

Wouldnt be surprised if they drop with everything else, just not sure they will get down to deep discount levels.
Amazon would be a safe bet but it's not gonna be a 10 bagger.

it's so hard to predict where this will bottom, cause if the Dow goes to 10k, will there be any pensions or banks left standing?

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Amazon would be a safe bet but it's not gonna be a 10 bagger.

it's so hard to predict where this will bottom, cause if the Dow goes to 10k, will there be any pensions or banks left standing?
No. More of a defensive stock. They have been shipping a shit ton of stuff. May soften the blow.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

It doesnt matter bro, landlords are like so rich, they are the 1%. Those greedy bastards charge too much.

[/Liberal].

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Opinions wanted please.
Roku - 20
MO 20
Uber 15 to 10
AMZN 500 to 200
BAC 10 to 5
PFE 20
ABBV 50
SO 40
CVX 40-20
XOM 30
AEP 40 to 30
INTC 25
Googl 500
MMM 50
I don't know much about those specific stocks but I like the stink bid strategy, I use that for mining stocks.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not at all. Land with a building on it or land without a building on it is still the best investment on the planet.
Being a landlord is not for us but agree it's one of the best ways to build wealth, if not the best. Even the best can get creamed in stocks, look at Ray Dalio.

Also with the trillions of Fed printing announced in the last week, you really want to own real estate, gold and other hard assets. The 1% have been buying up hard assets like land and art, long before this crash.

Cash is good short term but long term the dollar is doomed by the Fed.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
AMZN is at 1800 right now.
It traded at 550 as recently as Feb of 2016.
I think this crap going on now is worse than what was going on then, this is why I think it can reach those levels again.
🤓

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
AMZN is at 1800 right now.
It traded at 550 as recently as Feb of 2016.
I think this crap going on now is worse than what was going on then, this is why I think it can reach those levels again.
🤓
If you follow Amazon, check out MELI in Latam. It is a good buy now. They are a mix of Amazon and Ebay and they just got approval to start processing their own Credit Card.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Dow futures down 954 right now.
Looks to be another day of carnage.
The media are running a fear-spreading psychology campaign that would make the CIA proud. Telling young people they're at just as high risk, saying babies are getting it. I guess they want Trump to lose so badly they'll crash the economy, markets and terrify pregnant moms - all for a good cause.

Top Bottom