• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marines Replacing SAW`S

I dont see how a 30 round magazine rifle is going to replace a 200 round belted machine gun that has quick swap barrels, but ok.

Essentially they are replacing a light machine gun with an automatic rifle.

They had this on future weapons a year or so again. I was totally horrified when they were trying to explain what it was intended to replace.

They've been making noise about using the HK IAR for like 2 years now.

This is like the "the military is going to replace the M9" thing heard in gunshops annually that never actually happens.

-Mike

I saw that on Future Weapons also." The best thing about it is you can use up your other squad members ammo also" . Paraphrasing from the show. I dont see the benefits from this but Im not too intelligent either so.....

I dont see how a 30 round magazine rifle is going to replace a 200 round belted machine gun that has quick swap barrels, but ok.

Essentially they are replacing a light machine gun with an automatic rifle.

They had this on future weapons a year or so again. I was totally horrified when they were trying to explain what it was intended to replace.

Now a Marine can carry 2 M27's and throw one away when the barrel wears out.

There is an Army Times article out there about replacing some SAW's with the IAR. I think one per squad or some such thing. I think the Marines are taking the "Rifleman" thing one step too far on this one. It may also be a rear door way to start replacing the M16/M4. Not sure - but someone in H&K's lobby probably got a good paycheck on that one.

my understanding is its not going to replace but supplement the M249.
Marine infantry squads will replace their M249 light machine gun with a highly accurate, auto rifle geared for fast-moving assaults. In late May, Gen. James Amos, commandant of the Marine Corps, approved a plan to field the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle to all Marine infantry battalions.

The lightweight auto rifle, made by Heckler & Koch, is a variant of the 5.56mm H&K 416. It weighs just under eight pounds unloaded -- almost 10 pounds less than the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon.

The decision comes after the Corps fielded 458 M27s to five battalions as they prepared for upcoming deployments to Afghanistan.

"We wanted to get through the limited fielding and get the feedback before we moved ahead with the full fielding," said Charles Clark III, who oversees infantry weapons requirements at the Corps' Combat Development and Integration office in Quantico, Va.

"The decision is made. It's happening," Clark said.

Wouldn't it be helpful in the event of a prolonged battle? It uses the same mags as all of the other infantry rifles on the field, so it's not dead weight when the machine gunner runs out of ammo.

Wouldn't it be helpful in the event of a prolonged battle? It uses the same mags as all of the other infantry rifles on the field, so it's not dead weight when the machine gunner runs out of ammo.

SAW gunners carry 800ish rounds of ammo on them.

You can delink ammo (although its a pain) and use it in a mag. The SAW also takes M16/M4 magazines, although unreliably.

SAW gunners carry 800ish rounds of ammo on them.

You can delink ammo (although its a pain) and use it in a mag. The SAW also takes M16/M4 magazines, although unreliably.
You are correct.
If I was still a Squad leader I wouldn`t be happy losing my belt fed weapon. There`s no way you can replace the suppressive fire of a belt fed weapon,w/a spare barrel, w/a mag fed weapon. The rate of fire is not even close.

im glad the army isnt ditching the SAWs. I carried one for 6 months, found it very reliable, and with a short barrel and collapsible stock it was just as small as a M-4. Toss a CCO or ACOG on there and your good to go. I would hate to be in a firefight and have to change 30 round mags very quick instead of have a sustained rate of fire for 200 rounds. As a PL now this sounds like a nightmare, and I don't really see the point.

I was reading through the comments and someone made an interesting point. The article said that they are going to be keeping the SAWs around just in case they find themselves needing a lot more firepower. It could be that this is kind of a back door way to replacing the M4s without all the political BS.

ETA: Anyone think that they could end up carrying some of those Beta-C 100-round mags instead of 30-rounders, they would actually be able to keep up a somewhat sustained rate of fire.

Last edited:
ETA: Anyone think that they could end up carrying some of those Beta-C 100-round mags instead of 30-rounders, they would actually be able to keep up a somewhat sustained rate of fire.

IIRC those things aren't very reliable under duress. Not something I would trust my life to. They're a range toy, at best.

-Mike

the only issue with the SAW and the 240B is the weight. i could that as a logic to replace it with a lighter MG.

when i was with the infantry, my most frequent flyers in the field were the gun teams (M60, later M240B), the 60mm mortarmen and the SAW gunners.

that stuff is heavy, even if your the AG / ammo bi***. [laugh]

IIRC, the "sustained" rate of fire was 6 to 9 round bursts on both. so swapping out the SAWs for a lighter MG with 100rd drums would NOT affect that capability too much.

story also states they are going to A-stan... so it makes sense. keep the saws for mounted patrols and ready. for extended dismounted patrols - it's a great option... depending on air assets and threat

Back
Top Bottom