Marines Plan to Retool to Meet China Threat

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Most sweeping transformation in decades will shift focus from fighting insurgents in Middle East to preparing for conflict in western Pacific
The Marine Corps is undertaking its most sweeping transformation in decades, pivoting from a focus on fighting insurgents in the Middle East to developing the ability to hop from island to island in the western Pacific to bottle up the Chinese fleet.

The 10-year plan to revamp the Corps, scheduled to be unveiled this week, follows years of classified U.S. wargames that revealed China’s missile and naval forces to be eroding American military advantages in the region.
“China, in terms of military capability, is the pacing threat,” Gen. David Berger, the Marine Corps commandant, said in an interview. “If we did nothing, we would be passed.”
To reinvent themselves as a naval expeditionary force within budget limits, the Marines plan to get rid of all of their tanks, cut back on their aircraft and shrink in total numbers from 189,000 to as few as 170,000, Gen. Berger said.

“I have come to the conclusion that we need to contract the size of the Marine Corps to get quality,” he said.

The changes are part of a broad shift by all branches of the armed forces, which are honing new fighting concepts and planning to spend billions of dollars on what the Pentagon projects will be an era of intensified competition with China and Russia.

Among an array of new high-tech programs, the Air Force is developing a hypersonic missile that would travel five times the speed of sound, and has been experimenting with the “loyal wingman,” an unmanned aircraft that would carry bombs and fly in formations with piloted planes.

The Army, which has established a Futures Command to oversee its transformation, tested a cannon at the Yuma Proving Ground earlier this month that fired shells about 40 miles—roughly twice the range of current systems. The Navy, for its part, has been developing tactics to disperse aircraft carrier battle groups to make them a less inviting target for Chinese medium-range missiles, and it is pursuing the development of unmanned submarines and ships.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it would be NICE to re-institute strategic materials thinking too. Like find and lock up our OWN sources of rare metals, re-invigorate our own steel industry, and so on.

It would be pretty simple if they only made an edict, like "all federal monies for infrastructure projects will require US Steel in them, US concrete in them, US electronic technology...)

76Too

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
This has been in the works for at least 3 or 4 years. Bringing the Marine Corps back to its roots of amphibious assault tactics has been metioned in the birthday message since about 2017 if my memory serves me correctly.

The base level training won’t change THAT much, but the big picture will.

SgtHal75

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most sweeping transformation in decades will shift focus from fighting insurgents in Middle East to preparing for conflict in western Pacific
The Marine Corps is undertaking its most sweeping transformation in decades, pivoting from a focus on fighting insurgents in the Middle East to developing the ability to hop from island to island in the western Pacific to bottle up the Chinese fleet.

The 10-year plan to revamp the Corps, scheduled to be unveiled this week, follows years of classified U.S. wargames that revealed China’s missile and naval forces to be eroding American military advantages in the region.
“China, in terms of military capability, is the pacing threat,” Gen. David Berger, the Marine Corps commandant, said in an interview. “If we did nothing, we would be passed.”
To reinvent themselves as a naval expeditionary force within budget limits, the Marines plan to get rid of all of their tanks, cut back on their aircraft and shrink in total numbers from 189,000 to as few as 170,000, Gen. Berger said.

“I have come to the conclusion that we need to contract the size of the Marine Corps to get quality,” he said.

The changes are part of a broad shift by all branches of the armed forces, which are honing new fighting concepts and planning to spend billions of dollars on what the Pentagon projects will be an era of intensified competition with China and Russia.

Among an array of new high-tech programs, the Air Force is developing a hypersonic missile that would travel five times the speed of sound, and has been experimenting with the “loyal wingman,” an unmanned aircraft that would carry bombs and fly in formations with piloted planes.

The Army, which has established a Futures Command to oversee its transformation, tested a cannon at the Yuma Proving Ground earlier this month that fired shells about 40 miles—roughly twice the range of current systems. The Navy, for its part, has been developing tactics to disperse aircraft carrier battle groups to make them a less inviting target for Chinese medium-range missiles, and it is pursuing the development of unmanned submarines and ships.

Time to get back to our Roots!!!! Going Old School!!!! Ain’t seen island hopping in about a minute!!!!! Insert any modern gangsta ass saying u want...all I know is it’s about time we square off with these Lil commie bastards!!!!!

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
it would be NICE to re-institute strategic materials thinking too. Like find and lock up our OWN sources of rare metals, re-invigorate our own steel industry, and so on.

It would be pretty simple if they only made an edict, like "all federal monies for infrastructure projects will require US Steel in them, US concrete in them, US electronic technology...)
Amen to that! Hopefully the wake of call of the day (virus) will reinforce this. Some may disagree, but strategic materials may be worth partially subsidizing. It's difficult to mine and refine rare earth oxides and metals and compete with near slave labor, no EHS, and overproduction followed by price dumping. Also China produces as much steel as the rest of the world combined.

Glad the Corps is getting back to its core.

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don't see it as a return to anything (roots, core, old school) if they are getting rid of all the tanks, reducing Infantry, artillery, and attack helicopter units.
These assets should be beefed up to confront potential enemies.

M60

NES Member
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I don't see it as a return to anything (roots, core, old school) if they are getting rid of all the tanks, reducing Infantry, artillery, and attack helicopter units.
Ok. What. Wait. The Corps. without choppers isn't even funny to talk about. Marines gotta Marine with choppers.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Ok. What. Wait. The Corps. without choppers isn't even funny to talk about. Marines gotta Marine with choppers.
Seems like they are only scaling back partially on the choppers (more for the tanks) in order to provide more hi tech and unmanned equipment. There are 30 squadrons including the tilt rotor squadrons and HMX-1 that hauls POTUS around.

I think there are some good possibilities with this concept. Imagine unmanned choppers or drones coming in first and providing cover fire for the piloted choppers to do their work. Or just send in the unmanned equipment in case of potential FUBAR scenarios. The Sci Fi stuff of our childhood is actually becoming the reality of today's and tomorrow's battlefields. Remember when the Marines were typically outfitted with hand-me-downs?

M60

NES Member
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Seems like they are only scaling back partially on the choppers (more for the tanks) in order to provide more hi tech and unmanned equipment. There are 30 squadrons including the tilt rotor squadrons and HMX-1 that hauls POTUS around.

I think there are some good possibilities with this concept. Imagine unmanned choppers or drones coming in first and providing cover fire for the piloted choppers to do their work. Or just send in the unmanned equipment in case of potential FUBAR scenarios. The Sci Fi stuff of our childhood is actually becoming the reality of today's and tomorrow's battlefields. Remember when the Marines were typically outfitted with hand-me-downs?
Lol. Even my 782 gear. My 45acp mag pouches, leather holster, aluminum canteen and pouch, and web belt were all WW11 hand me downs and the so were the C rations. The C Rat cans were dated 1941.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Lol. Even my 782 gear. My 45acp mag pouches, leather holster, aluminum canteen and pouch, and web belt were all WW11 hand me downs and the so were the C rations. The C Rat cans were dated 1941.

LOL, holy crap!

My Dad was a Marine aviator in Vietnam. Flew a variety of stuff before shipping out and then UH-34's in combat- basically Korean war hardware. As a pilot he had a S&W .38 (WWII tech) and a Thompson (older than WWII, LOL). Actually he loved the Thompson and always wished he had buried it in a bag or something and shipped it back. The UH-34's could take a hell of a beating and many returned to base looking like swiss cheese. I have a pic or slide of this somewhere.

M60

NES Member
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
LOL, holy crap!

My Dad was a Marine aviator in Vietnam. Flew a variety of stuff before shipping out and then UH-34's in combat- basically Korean war hardware. As a pilot he had a S&W .38 (WWII tech) and a Thompson (older than WWII, LOL). Actually he loved the Thompson and always wished he had buried it in a bag or something and shipped it back. The UH-34's could take a hell of a beating and many returned to base looking like swiss cheese. I have a pic or slide of this somewhere.
Maybe your dad gave me a ride of two. Swiss cheese choppers were pretty common. Pretty hard to drop into a hot LZ without getting ventilated to some degree. Lots of pilots had 38's. I never understood why they didn't choose a .45acp.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Maybe your dad gave me a ride of two. Swiss cheese choppers were pretty common. Pretty hard to drop into a hot LZ without getting ventilated to some degree. Lots of pilots had 38's. I never understood why they didn't choose a .45acp.
'65-'67 HMM-364 Purple Foxes. Lots of Marines remember the mascot and their motto:

Reactions: M60

Dench

NES Member
Rating - 100%
99   0   0

It would be a great step. The problem is the nature of our businesses have gotten real used to skimping every penny off the costs so the profits are maximized and paid out to management, who subsequently remove that liquid cash from our economy. That's what needs to stop. To many of our large corporation have massive obsession with cash hoarding on personal levels which forces them to outsource every possible thing.

China without a doubt needs to be heavily reigned in in regards to trade. The West is funding its own enemy with it's current trade practices. The people making profit off it don't give a shit about strategic interests or anything close to patriotism.

There has been a hard core push from a lot of people to whittle the armor forces down. I'm not exactly sure why this is a thing, but it has been for a few decades. It is true that ATGM systems are very powerful, however, one would think countermeasures would/can/could be developed to stop things like modern Russian systems. Armor is going to have a roll for at least a few more decades. In the meantime no one has a clue what to replace the M1 (1970's) with, nor the Bradly (1980's), nor the M113 (1960's) nor the amtrac (1970's).

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
It would be a great step. The problem is the nature of our businesses have gotten real used to skimping every penny off the costs so the profits are maximized and paid out to management, who subsequently remove that liquid cash from our economy. That's what needs to stop. To many of our large corporation have massive obsession with cash hoarding on personal levels which forces them to outsource every possible thing.

China without a doubt needs to be heavily reigned in in regards to trade. The West is funding its own enemy with it's current trade practices. The people making profit off it don't give a shit about strategic interests or anything close to patriotism.
Bingo. I work for a very large global industrial company. Cash flow is king. What that really means is get cash as quickly as possible and keep it.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yes. But they need to work within the federal
rules. A rule like “70% of the material content of a drug needs to be originated in the USA”, and so on

Dench

NES Member
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Bingo. I work for a very large global industrial company. Cash flow is king. What that really means is get cash as quickly as possible and keep it.
I know that conservatives hold the free market near and dear and dislike any criticism of bashing greedy policy or leadership, however, greedy leadership and management is basically the reason why the PRC is in the position it is today both economically and militarily.

We've made some people incredibly rich, and in the process gutted our local heavy industry and funded the 4th Reich.

It's one of the many reasons I've moved far, far away of not having critiques of the ultra rich. They are like that for a reason and a shit ton of stuff was sacrifice to put them in that position. Is it worth it in the short, mid or long term? No to all 3. It completely blows, actually.

Yes. But they need to work within the federal
rules. A rule like “70% of the material content of a drug needs to be originated in the USA”, and so on
I'd be thrilled to see it at 100%. Why the f*** are we propping up the PRCs economy to save money?

bigben111435

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha a GT score minimum of 100 for 0311s?
And more parental leave?
Not one item in the planning guidance from CMC involves warfighting.
We need more guys like Generals Hagee, Krulak and Jones. These men mostly focused on improving the Marine Corps on the battlefield.
General Berger is a 21st century commandant for sure.
Then again, so was General Neller.
I see a trend here........and it is soft.

Top Bottom