Marines don't *Need* Machine Guns

What the f***?

All I know is that we needed belt fed systems on convoy protection platforms in Iraq. It's called suppressive fire. Keeps hajis heads down quite well. It's tough to sack up and return fire when 50 cal And 30 cal rounds are impacting in your general direction lol

Last edited:
The article smells very fuddly to me..

Initial contact, fire suppression during movement and breaking contact would come to mind.

Stick to writing those trap/skeet articles and one's on how the second amendment was about hunting firearms only.

This guy is clearly a fudd, civilian only "gun owner"!

Last edited:
This is the kind of talk you get when you have Arty and Air on constant call.

Takes time to call it in, and even more time for the air cover to get there. Plus you can always end up having the rounds dropped in the wrong place and have to adjust fire.

So, I think everyone should have machine guns!

When you have to go up against one of these—-

View attachment 308923
Maschinengewehr 42

All you need is a stick.
2dd.jpg

So if the AR15 is a weapon of war, what the hell is the M4? Jack.

A metric screw.
A performance model BMW.
Holy hell I can’t stand what I just read for a mentality. Next thing you know they’ll say marines only need 10 rounds because civilians only need that and that’ll be their workaround to this whole capacity issue.

Let's go back to muskets. I think we can all agree that we'd be safer world-wide if the US got rid of everything BUT muskets, right? You can't argue with that. ;)

The Army/Marines resisted going to bolt action rifles w/a magazine because they were convinced Soldiers would waste their rounds. Spanish/Amerocan War changed their minds. Remember, at the beginning of WWII the Marines were still using the 03 until they saw the Army Troops replacing them on Guadalcanal w/their Garands.

When you have to go up against one of these—-

View attachment 308923
Maschinengewehr 42

All you need is a stick.
Yup, Hitler's buzz saw. 1,300 rounds per minute. Fired one at a class 3 shoot in Louisiana. Belonged to one of my wife's relatives. I went through a 200 round belt in the blink of an eye. Might be old, but I sure as hell would not be facing the business end of it!

How is it more likely that you will ND in burst mode rather than semi? I honestly don't get this point...
I do get the trigger happy part, but folks learn to control that. I have seen folks shoot a full auto gun in the civilian world and yes they dump the mag. Soldiers learn not to do that in training. The fact you have the ability to suppress enemy fire with full auto and move troops as required is key to winning. So do these folks want our troops to lose?

1. They can get trigger happy. (the result of poor training and supervision. Taking away the capability is not the answer.)

2. Negligent discharges can be worse. (the result of poor training and supervision. Taking away the capability is not the answer.)

3. Barrel changes. (correct employment and tactics of the machine gun squad (two machine gun teams) means that both guns are not changing barrels at the same time; see the above comments about training and supervision. A well trained machine gun team can execute the change barrel drill in a very short time. The ability to change barrels at scheduled intervals means that suppressive fire can continue for a longer time period, allowing the maneuver units to get closer to the objective.)

4. It can lower accuracy. (the correct use of the bipod or tripod with traversing & elevation mechanism means the beaten zone of the machine gun is greatly reduced; see the above comments about training and supervision.)

Seems as if 3/5 had some leadership issues with regard to machine gun training before and with employment during their 2010 deployment.
The art & science of machine gunnery has certainly depreciated in the last decade or so as evidenced in many of the videos available on the inter-web.

Back
Top Bottom