Marines and Guns in Boston Common

Walked through the Marine thing in Boston Common this afternoon, it was really cool. If you have a chance def stop in and check it out. They have lots of displays and "toys" you can play with.

I did hear a few anti's telling their kids to stay away from the guns but overall an interesting experience. I didn't see any proper gun handling, everyone with trigger fingers and waving the rifles around at people. [thinking]

Of course I had to take pictures, how many chances do you get to hold a fully auto rifle with a grenade launcher in Boston Common and not get arrested? [smile]

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Last edited:
This same deal was at the 4th of July at Devens 3-4 years ago.

I told one of the Marines that it was bad to," let kids handlle mlitary grade weapons of war.....because the kids would break them!" [wink]

"Marines could break them, but not kids." I was told.

Five minutes later my then 7 YO started a Humvee. [laugh]

My 7&8 year olds knew more about safe handlng....despite the lack of mags in the weapons, when a guy would point a rifle at his girl and say, "Hey! Take my picture!" it bothered me.....

Question on the M2 50 cal...."40 rounds / minute"?

Last edited:
Question on the M2 50 cal...."40 rounds / minute"?

Sustained, not [STRIKE]maximum[/STRIKE] cyclic... As in you can put an average of around 40 rounds per minute down range for a long time and nothing should melt or break...

(And yes - they are a lot of fun to shoot.) [mg]

Last edited:
You can run them harder... but once they get really hot you start running into timing issues, and the occasional stuck bolt. It's a lot of fun though :D

Mike

You can run them harder... but once they get really hot you start running into timing issues, and the occasional stuck bolt. It's a lot of fun though :D

Mike

Fun until the stupid LT decides to rack the bolt a few times on the stuck round, and then it cooks off with the bolt open.... that was my favorite machine gun too :(

Fun until the stupid LT decides to rack the bolt a few times on the stuck round, and then it cooks off with the bolt open.... that was my favorite machine gun too :(

Immediate action for the 50 cal: Gunner calls "Missfire!" waits 5 seconds for a hang fire "5, 4, 3, 2, 1." Gunner pulls the bolt to the rear looking for feeding and ejecting...

I don't know how it would cook off on an open bolt once it was out of that chamber... Possible the timing was FUBAR?

Gotta love the army:

And what actually happens when you screw it up:

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I went there for about 1/2 hour today and it was great!!! If you can make it to Boston Common go there! They have set out a table with every rifle they use. There are night scopes and day scopes and you can pick them up and look through them. The Marines are great and will talk to you about all they know! Four helicopters you can sit in, two tanks you can sit in and much more. I put on the armored vest they wear that weighs 32 lbs. It was hard to move in and I asked how the hell the move in this, The marine laughed and said, "when bullets are flying its not so heavy."

If you can get to Boston Common Get there!!!

God Bless Our Marine's

G'd it, I wish I knew this was going on today. I was in Boston for work today and ended up stuck in traffic on my way in and home. That sounds so cool.

The Drum & Bugle Corps and the Silent Drill Platoon will be performing at 5:00 pm on Saturday at Carson Beach. For anyone who has never seen the Silent Drill Platoon, they are amazing...not a show you are likely to ever forget.

I`m shocked the anti-gun liberal elites of Boston would allow such a show of firepower on Boston Common. Where`s Mumbles screaming about guns and inner city violence. The horror of it all.

I'd love to have the marines 24/7 in the commons, probably be safer. And curious if anyone slipped one of the guys a few bucks to go out and have some cold ones after their done on the commons.

I`m shocked the anti-gun liberal elites of Boston would allow such a show of firepower on Boston Common. Where`s Mumbles screaming about guns and inner city violence. The horror of it all.

Actually, it makes perfect sense....it's all desensitization....

After 9/11, when the MSP started carrying MP5s at Logan, there was some discussion.....

Then....remember the go-round about BPD having ARs in squad cars?

Now, people will get used to seeing the military, under arms, in the city....it's all good.

And with rents being so high, it would make sense to have them stay in private homes in the city for convenince's sake.

It's all good.....now, I'm off to get some more tinfoil....or was that take a trip to the range?

(Note: the above is intended to be ironic and all in good fun. Unless it happens, then, told ya so!)

"Of course I had to take pictures, how many chances do you get to hold a fully auto rifle with a grenade launcher in Boston Common and not get arrested? "

I used to carry one of those about every fourth day on duty. ( USAF police) M203 grenade launcher mounted on a m16. Fun to shoot also.

Holly S... to the 50 cal ? Man that is scary for a guy behind that 50 cal. Ever see a At4 Gone bad ?

This is not cool. After all i am going to boston common to see their stuff. suck that they don't have LAV, ALV with them :(.
ALSO... come to Carson Beach near JFK umass . they will demonstrate some sea landing , MCMAP training , and other stuff on Satursday. Be there at 0800.
hhoorrrahh!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! If it wasn't Mother's day this weekend, I'd make a trip up there.

The Drum & Bugle Corps and the Silent Drill Platoon will be performing at 5:00 pm on Saturday at Carson Beach. For anyone who has never seen the Silent Drill Platoon, they are amazing...not a show you are likely to ever forget.

They perform at the baseball field in Orleans every year, it certainly is a great show.

I loved the "Ma Duce" back in my reserve days. We had them mounted on our 113s. What a fun gun to shoot, that is except for worrying you got the head and space timing right so the bolt didn't blow up in your face.

hey guys. Just came back from the event.
IMG_0287.jpg

M16a4 made by FN company. Trijicon acog 4x32 Ta31rco.a4 model, Knights armament m5 RAS and PEQ 17.
IMG_0291.jpg

Having fun with the m82 haha.
IMG_0303.jpg

old MTV 35 lbs without mag , radio , frag. You don't want to run with this damn thing in 120 degrees heat.
IMG_0310.jpg

Lower Ar, upper m4. Knights armament ras m4. trijicon acog Ta31rco.m4 and NV/ thermal sight.
IMG_0316.jpg

I got 26 out of 30 shot.

Three Osprey's just flew over Kendall Square. I still think they should have bought conventional helicopters instead, but I can't deny the coolness factor...

Guess what, i will bring my own Eotech 511 to the event again and put it on the m16a4 rifle then take picture of it. Hahaha. Get some !!! They just moved it near to where i live too, so i can just walk there.

Hey they left the Boston Common today and moved the trucks and weapons to the USS Constitution. The will be there tomorrow from 9:00am to 8:00 pm.

Guess what, i will bring my own Eotech 511 to the event again and put it on the m16a4 rifle then take picture of it. Hahaha. Get some !!! They just moved it near to where i live too, so i can just walk there.

for??????

you should go green, get your FID (not sure how old you are) and join a gun club.... barbies, GI Joe, Bakugan and airsolf are for kids. ask my 10 year old son.

Back
Top Bottom