Marine who led WWII charge up Mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima dies

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
8594897_orig.jpg

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2016/02/17/marine-who-led-iwo-jima-charge-dies/80502730/

John Keith Wells was born on February 5, 1922 in Lake View, Texas. He attended Texas A&M College from 1940 to 1942 and joined the U.S. Marine Corps in March 1942. He was selected for Officer Candidate School (OCS) shortly thereafter.

Upon completion of OCS, Wells completed Marine Parachute Training School in August 1943. Lt. Wells was then deployed to Guadalcanal with the 1st Marine Regiment in December 1943. After his return from Guadalcanal, Wells was given command of 3rd Platoon, Easy Company, 28th Marines, 5th Marine Division. He is quoted as saying, "Give me 50 Marines not afraid to die and I can take any position."

He landed on the island of Iwo Jima on February 19, 1945 and was quickly given the task of leading an assault at the base of Mt. Suribachi. It was during this attack that Wells was awarded the Navy Cross.

Part of his citation would read: "by his leadership and indomitable fighting spirit, 1st Lt Wells contributed materially to the destruction of at least twenty-five Japanese emplacements". During this attack Wells was wounded and evacuated to a hospital ship where he would later escape by convincing a corpsman to supply with him sulfa powder and morphine so he could join his platoon. Once Wells reached the base of Mt. Suribachi he was helped to the summit by one of the flag raisers, Charles Lindberg. When his commanding officer, Lt. Col. Chandler Johnson, learned of this, he ordered Wells to relinquish command of the platoon and return to the aid station. Command was then passed to Sgt. Ernest "Boots" Thomas who would be KIA several days later. Wells remained on the island, although unable to lead his troops, until the island was declared secure. After World War II, Wells returned to Texas and enrolled at Texas Tech College and obtained a degree in Petroleum Geology. In 1959, 1st Lt. Wells was honorarily retired as a Major in the Marine Reserves.

http://www.5thmarinedivision.com/legends.html

He escaped a hospital ship....JFC, I hope they're going to bury his wheelbarrow with honors as well. You know, the one he used to carry his balls around...

RIP Marine, To a good life lived.

Imagine the order coming down for the assault up the mountain?

I picture it coming from a Major Lumbergh......" Yeahhhhhh John, Im gonna need you to go ahead and run up this mountain, killing all the bad guys on the way, mmmmmmmkay?"

RIP Marine, you earned it.

I wanted to read his book published in 1995 about Iwo Jima, Give Me 50 Marines Not Afraid to Die,” but in paperback, the cost is $119.50. I wonder why it costs so much?

Anyway, thank you for your service, sir! RIP

That was a bargain @ $119.50...... did you see the one below it?

Give Me Fifty Marines Not Afraid to Die: Iwo Jima Paperback February 1, 1995 1605
by Wells, John K., Macdonald, Bradley T., Clayton, Lawrence R.,
Paperback
$1,805.44 used & new(9 offers)

Back
Top Bottom