• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marijuana Users In Mass. Can't Buy Guns

the handful of people I know with pot cards and caretaker registration did not bat a eye when they found out they could/would loose their gun permits and buying privileges. most already sold off their stuff to fund their needs. out of the 7 I know 4 just let their LTC expire 2 tried to renew and where denied 1 got popped for DUI so its a non issue now.
I was at a gun shop when the pot cards first came into use. The customer was bitching to the owner. The owner basically refused to sell him a rifle because he knew he lied on the fed form about pot use. the gunshop owner said. "you have a medical card, your a user in the eyes of the feds" Fun stuff ahead

Marijuana Users In Mass. Can't Buy Guns

I know it's not news per se, but this article includes the ATF weighing in WRT MA pot law. It hasn't come to a head yet, but there needs to be a resolution between state law and federal law on this subject. It is ridiculous that a right granted at the federal level is in jeopardy for someone who does something legal at the state level--especially because there is rarely, if ever, federal enforcement at the personal level.

This subject continues to come up and will happen more and more as states legalize.
does the state have access to the info that you have a mj card when you apply for a ltc; are not medical prescriptions private information?

does the state have access to the info that you have a mj card when you apply for a ltc; are not medical prescriptions private information?
Why the hell would you get a medical card anyway ? Isn't it taxed to shit,besides local cultivars I'm sure would be MUCH cheaper and just as good .

My DR. Asked me if I wanted a medical card for back pain,I said NOPE I own firearms - that was the end of the discussion

Why the hell would you get a medical card anyway ? Isn't it taxed to shit,besides local cultivars I'm sure would be MUCH cheaper and just as good .

My DR. Asked me if I wanted a medical card for back pain,I said NOPE I own firearms - that was the end of the discussion
we are supposed to not need a card by now is it not 100 legal to buy in a store

oxygen users are banned too.
oh oh [laugh]

I don't see any reason to get a card, it's not like insurance is going to kick in. doesn't matter anymore, no benefit, right? I don't know if hippa protects the individual, say on a new ltc application. can they do a basic check to see if one has "the card."

Who issues the card? IIRC it is issued by the state, so they have a database. Cross checking all the databases (are you late on child support payments, taxes, etc.) is all part of their background checks.

oh oh [laugh]

I don't see any reason to get a card, it's not like insurance is going to kick in. doesn't matter anymore, no benefit, right? I don't know if hippa protects the individual, say on a new ltc application. can they do a basic check to see if one has "the card."

There are "exemptions" in HIPAA and I doubt that it is illegal for the state to access the MJ card info database when issuing another license. Besides which, when was the last time that the state of commiechusetts abided by some law prohibiting them from doing something or specifying that they have to do something within a specific timeframe (e.g. issue LTCs within 40 days)?

Confiscation is the end game for the anti gun crowd, the more info they have on you the easier it makes their job.

So very true.

Perhaps I should further clarify my statement above. He was denied an Instructor certification, not an LTC.
Was he denied by his NRA Training Counselor or the state of MA?

If he was denied by the state of MA, did they find out about his MJ card or did he volunteer the info?

More details are needed to fully understand WTF happened.

With the medical card I believe you do not pay the retail tax and you have access to edibles with higher doses in them.

Wrong again friend.....you need to do some serious and lengthy reading and get up to speed.

Not wrong, I'm saying 2A should preempt all firearm laws, especially state-level ones. PM me or start another thread if you want to talk about the semantics and general meaning of 2A, we're talking about 2A WRT pot law.

This is why ANYONE, regardless of whether or not they own guns, was a moron for applying for a MMJ card. Talk about unnecessary and avoidable government oversight in your personal life... You don't tell the government when you buy a bottle of liquor or a pack of smokes, do ya? Stupid.

I am from Ohio, where my Dad still lives. He has illnesses which would legitimately be alleviated by marijuana, yet like me, he is a firearm owner. Ohio has a brand-new medical marijuana program but no full legalization like MA. Therefore my Dad doesn't have the ability to buy marijuana outside of the MMJ program, but Ohio has stated that MMJ licensees are ineligible to also be CCW licensees. So there is an impasse. If he were to get an MMJ card, he would probably lose his CCW, but it is ambiguous as to whether the state would also seek to seize his weapons altogether, since Ohio does not have the concept of an FID or gun registration.

In short, it's all a big mess.

Not wrong, I'm saying 2A should preempt all firearm laws, especially state-level ones. PM me or start another thread if you want to talk about the semantics and general meaning of 2A, we're talking about 2A WRT pot law.

I am from Ohio, where my Dad still lives. He has illnesses which would legitimately be alleviated by marijuana, yet like me, he is a firearm owner. Ohio has a brand-new medical marijuana program but no full legalization like MA. Therefore my Dad doesn't have the ability to buy marijuana outside of the MMJ program, but Ohio has stated that MMJ licensees are ineligible to also be CCW licensees. So there is an impasse. If he were to get an MMJ card, he would probably lose his CCW, but it is ambiguous as to whether the state would also seek to seize his weapons altogether, since Ohio does not have the concept of an FID or gun registration.

In short, it's all a big mess.

There is a whole market where you pay cash and get whatever you want on any given street corner. No permission slip, nothing. Cash & carry. My girlfriend is originally from OH and has family members there still, some of whom smoke. They don't have cards and have no problem getting their stuff.

i don't care if they support it or not. it's my god-given right.

people have been getting high since the beginning of time...they can do that without the government getting involved.

you wanted pot to be legal...with legality comes regulation and inevitable taxation. you get what you pay for, just like we do as gun owners...some suspender wearing schmuck up on beacon hill telling you what to do with things that are as natural as breathing.

It doesn't. HIPAA applies only to medical records and only for providers who bill for their services. It's not a general patient privacy law and deals primarily with the electronic transmission of billing and medical records. Before people start bandying about HIPAA, they need to do two things. 1) Spell it correctly. 2) Know a bit about it's provisions.

oh oh [laugh]

Before people start bandying about HIPAA, they need to do two things. 1) Spell it correctly. 2) Know a bit about it's provisions.
(raising right hand) i promise never to bandy about again. i also promise to get acronyms correct and to learn their provisions. (i am backing away now, bowing deeply from the waist)

The state only cares about the federal laws it likes.
They go after gun owners who smoke weed because the hate guns and weed is how they get you.
Yet, the state does not like federal immigration laws and lets illegals stay here.

It doesn't. HIPAA applies only to medical records and only for providers who bill for their services. It's not a general patient privacy law and deals primarily with the electronic transmission of billing and medical records. Before people start bandying about HIPAA, they need to do two things. 1) Spell it correctly. 2) Know a bit about it's provisions.

*its

Back
Top Bottom