• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marijuana License's In Mass While Having A LTC

This topic has become a HUGE debate among people I know with licenses to carry. Especially were they just announced multiple dispensaries opening in the city of Brockton. What is going to be the legality of this?? Will having a marijuana license appear on a background check of a individual?? Better yet how can you have in possession a firearm and a federally prohibited substance, If you were arrested with a firearm and weed that the state says is ok to have couldn't they just federally charge you in which case you'd be charged with a firearms violation?

O I completely hear you on that and personally I don't smoke not a fan. But it going to be interesting to see how this plays out especially getting that first cop who is in a bad mood.

Sorry didn't see a thread on it just brought it up cause front page the newspaper talking about the dispensaries coming to Brockton were I live. So what your saying is if you have a medical marijuana card you are unable to obtain a LTC??

Sorry didn't see a thread on it just brought it up cause front page the newspaper talking about the dispensaries coming to Brockton were I live. So what your saying is if you have a medical marijuana card you are unable to obtain a LTC??

Sounds about right in our backwards state & messed up laws.

They state is able to tell the FED to back off within the state. BUT, where they actually have FED jurisdiction (i.e Guns) the STATE is just a middleman/paper pusher.

No even better, the Feds consider you a Prohibited Person and you can not own or touch a gun anywhere in the United States for the rest of your life.

Since the Feds consider a medical marijuana card holder a Prohibited Person, possession of a gun by a card holder is a federal felony regardless of having an LTc or not.

That's unreal so basically its keep your LTC and say screw a marijuana card or get ya marijuana card and either have ya LTC revoked or play the game of Russian roulette (no pun intended) with your firearm and weed and risk multiple felonies.

Since the Feds consider a medical marijuana card holder a Prohibited Person, possession of a gun by a card holder is a federal felony regardless of having an LTc or not.

This! There is no debate. From the ATF directly:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370187566764.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370187566764.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 271
Ok so way it seems your only prohibited during the period of having a medical marijuana card so from what I know about it a medical marijuana card is only valid for a year so after it expires you can then apply for a LTC????

Ot maybe you can see medical marijuana is a scam, and a backdoor way to legalization by the hippies longing for the 60's to return.

Ot maybe you can see medical marijuana is a scam, and a backdoor way to legalization by the hippies longing for the 60's to return.

Tell that to a stage 4 cancer victim that is dying.

I'm not a smoker myself, but even I can see the benefits for some people that medical pot brings to the table.

Will many use it as an excuse to get legal dope? Of course, just like there are many people that abuse welfare and SSI.

Don't be the test case, especially if it's optional for your situation. The feds are going to come down on folks.

Also, I haven't checked the recently passed bill but I know from speaking with a rep that linsky's office wrote that bill. I do know that there was an effort to make it neutral with LTCs, which means it doesn't mention anything about them, so I doubt suitability will be waived in the bill or any strong statement about licensing will be made.

Don't be the test case, especially if it's optional for your situation. The feds are going to come down on folks.

Also, I haven't checked the recently passed bill but I know from speaking with a rep that linsky's office wrote that bill. I do know that there was an effort to make it neutral with LTCs, which means it doesn't mention anything about them, so I doubt suitability will be waived in the bill or any strong statement about licensing will be made.

And even if Linsky's bill does contain such exceptions...the Feds can still nail you. (You mentioned it but I wanted to drive that point home)

O I definitely agree with just playing it safe and choosing one or the other. Someone shouldn't put themselves in middle of a already heated debate and risk losing not just there LTC but picking up a lengthy set of charges.

So say a person with no medical card gets caught with a small amount of weed. It's basically just a ticket, but would your LTC get yanked?

Tell that to a stage 4 cancer victim that is dying.

I'm not a smoker myself, but even I can see the benefits for some people that medical pot brings to the table.

Will many use it as an excuse to get legal dope? Of course, just like there are many people that abuse welfare and SSI.
My thoughts exactly except I was thinking more along the lines of my wife for the days her Multiple scleroses is flaring up!

It’s pretty damned easy to speak badly about pain remedies when one does not live in constant pain. I live in constant pain and I would LOVE it if anything could give me a moment’s rest from my pain. After 14 major leg operations including bone grafts, skin grafts, two knee replacements, metal plate installed, the stitching of many fully-blown tendons including the Achilles tendon and a bunch of other operations, I would like to try and see if pot will take an edge off my pain. I don’t expect it to cure my pain… just take the edge off. To sit back cavalierly badmouthing a possible cure shows a general lack common decency. If this describes you, don’t blame me… look in the mirror.

I don't see what difference it makes, if you're on Oxycodone for pain you're not going to jump into your car with a gun and head to the range. Oxycodone is also illegal if you don't have a prescription. Legal if a doctor has prescribed it to you. So if a doctor prescribes you marijuana what's the difference? It's illegal to possess a firearm if you're under the influence of alcohol as well. The moral of the story is all these things are kept away from firearm related activities.

Exactly Kurtz think it should come down to responsibility. I personally got nothing against marijuana I'd rather see someone who uses it for medicinal purposes then chewing pain pills.

But you can smoke cigarettes and take Oxycontin under medical Rx and still have a firearm license. Nobody cares about that.

Mind you. I am not a pot head and for the most part I'm not interested in the weed. But I think it's ludicrous that you can have a prescription for opioids (Oxycontin) and still keep you license. Nobody notifies the CoP that you are on opioids but if you have a weed card you're toast.

No even better, the Feds consider you a Prohibited Person and you can not own or touch a gun anywhere in the United States for the rest of your life.

The prohibition on drugs users is for "users", not "users or former users", so the prohibition does not latch on irreversibly like a felony conviction.

I'll grant the fact that it might help some people suffering with continuous pain, however the Feds have MJ on a "prohibited illegal drug" list and no doctor's Rx is going to make it legal to possess as far as the Feds are concerned. As posted above BATFE has "spoken" (in writing) that anyone possessing the card is a PP and subject to a felony conviction and time in Club Fed. They are looking for an opportunity to "make a statement" and convict some folks to put a stop to a movement in states to legalize it.

That is the true current status of the situation, regardless of which side you are on . . . the Feds carry the big clubs.

Back
Top Bottom