• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

March campout.

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
Managed to get out one more time this winter and stayed closer to home.

It was a quick one; Friday afternoon until Sunday morning.

It was actually last weekend and I am only posting now after consolidating photos from others. I had forgot my camera! D-oh! [rolleyes]

This time we went to Stoddard, NH near the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway.

My buddy Robbie, who normally brings enough gear, equipment and food for three men managed to pare down his load to support only two.

The hike in was short, only taking about ten minutes.

The trail was well packed due to an adventure race the weekend prior.

It was easy going; no need for snow shoes or micro spikes.

Because of the thaw just before the trip, establishing a firm, flat base for the tipi was a challenge.

While the trail in was firmly packed, the lesser traveled areas still caused us to post-hole.

The adventure racers had left many small depressions around the area from their snow shoes - it looked almost like the moon might.

We debated about simply leveling the spot we wanted or digging down to make the surface flat.

Normally we can just stomp down the area and wait for it to set up, but in this case, with snow shoes on, you made barely a mark, yet without them you sank in 18".

Even after breaking up the surface of the snow with shovels, it would not pack down with snow shoes. We decided to go with with leveling.

After leveling the the high side over to the low side, we found that we still needed to build up a little to get the area we needed.

After erecting the tipi it was time to go gather wood.

The property was a woodlot and finding standing dead wood was a challenge. Most of the trees were young growth and healthy.

Most of the stuff on the ground was covered in snow or had been soaked during the recent thaw.

While out searching for wood, we ran across a pine tree which had been ravaged by a porcupine.

Maybe this will be dry wood next year?

The porcupine certaily ate his fill as there was scat all over the place.

The host brought out his "big puppy" for everyone to enjoy.

The property owner had a Yurt on the land and it was a nice place to gather that would hold everyone who came out for the weekend.

We spent the afternoon hanging targets and greeting others as they made their way into camp.

The next morning (as forcasted) it began to rain. Between the beginning bands of rain, we went out to gather another load of wood - I'm glad we did!

As the day progressed the rain became heavier and more steady. Not a downpour, but enough where I didn't feel like going outside and getting wet.

Others in the camp did do some hiking around the area and seemed to enjoy themselves.

A few of us stayed behind and cooked, discussed gear and kept up with the daily chores.

For one, we dug down a little bit to make the inside of the tipi more comfortable.

There were a few guns around. We spent some time with them fielding Q&As. Even after hanging the targets, no one wanted to go shooting in the rain.

The day(s) began to run together and I can't recall who cooked what when, but there was the typical sausage.

A warm drink on a cold wet day is a must.

And at some point John cooked up a nice batch of pancakes with chocolate pieces.

Despite being a short, wet weekend, I believed everyone had a good time.

I didn't personally practice any additional field-craft skills or do any shooting, but if nothing else the time spent practicing the bivouac routine tasks and visiting with friends was worth it.

Last edited:
Nice, it looks like fun. I had snowshoes on for the first time in 4 years a couple of weeks ago. BTW, it's time to talk turkey about the 4th.

Tipis are the real tent, very nice ...hehehe. I wasn't aware that it was yours. I remember a very cold weekend with a vicious wind for a stretch during an event at the Club, and that tipi stood strong day and night.

Last edited:
I have followed your camp threads and enjoy checking them out, good stuff having a core group of buddies to do this with.

Thanks for the great thread

this thread inspired me to do my own little camp out a few weeks ago. i rucked out with my dogs, intended to stay two nights but i ended up coming home early on the second day. I was out for 36 hours or so, the temp got down to around 30 at night but i was pretty comfy in my tarp with 2 less than optimal sleeping bags and 140lbs worth of dog blanket. I need a ECWSS bag.

Nicely done.

Glad to see others getting out there and reporting on their trips.

What did you eat? Did you cook over the fire?

I can see a small lantern and an and ax - did they get much use?

Nicely done.

Glad to see others getting out there and reporting on their trips.

What did you eat? Did you cook over the fire?

I can see a small lantern and an and ax - did they get much use?

Thanks dude. Its a blast to do, ive always loved camping but never did it with bare bones out of the backpack gear like this before, making my own shelter, etc.

I have a cheap military surplus cooking set I used to make a can of baked beans and some hotdogs. Dogs had some of that plus I packed a zip lok with some of their regular food.

The lantern I'm glad I brought because I had to get up and feed the fire several times through the night to avoid freezing. The Axe actually got less use than a small handsaw I keep in my ruck, that was a gem for cutting down several small pine trees for firewood and insulation for my tarp.

Managed to get out one more time this winter and stayed closer to home.

It was a quick one; Friday afternoon until Sunday morning.

It was actually last weekend and I am only posting now after consolidating photos from others. I had forgot my camera! D-oh! [rolleyes]

This time we went to Stoddard, NH near the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway.

My buddy Robbie, who normally brings enough gear, equipment and food for three men managed to pare down his load to support only two.

Despite being a short, wet weekend, I believed everyone had a good time.

I didn't personally practice any additional field-craft skills or do any shooting, but if nothing else the time spent practicing the bivouac routine tasks and visiting with friends was worth it.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing

this thread inspired me to do my own little camp out a few weeks ago. i rucked out with my dogs ...<snip>

A question and a comment. Did the dogs ever alert you to anything overnight? And, a few years back here on NES I participated in a group buy for a Woodsman's Pal (machete). It beats the heck out of a camp saw or hatchet in my book. It's solid, rugged, has a root hook, knuckle-guard and heavy leather scabbard with a belt loop for easy and comfortable carry for quick access and less stowage. You can clear brush and chop small trees down with ease with this puppy. They are manufactured in PA I do believe, have a U.S. Military pedigree, and I wouldn't go deep into the woods on a bivouac without it. I even got a certain April 19th day engraved on the blade with the buy.

If you search, you can probably find the thread ...nickortizzle ran the buy. I haven't seen him post in a while.

In any case, if sitting out in the woods at 4:30AM counts over the last few days ...then I've been camping recently too ...hehehe.

A question and a comment. Did the dogs ever alert you to anything overnight? And, a few years back here on NES I participated in a group buy for a Woodsman's Pal (machete). It beats the heck out of a camp saw or hatchet in my book. It's solid, rugged, has a root hook, knuckle-guard and heavy leather scabbard with a belt loop for easy and comfortable carry for quick access and less stowage. You can clear brush and chop small trees down with ease with this puppy. They are manufactured in PA I do believe, have a U.S. Military pedigree, and I wouldn't go deep into the woods on a bivouac without it. I even got a certain April 19th day engraved on the blade with the buy.

If you search, you can probably find the thread ...nickortizzle ran the buy. I haven't seen him post in a while.

In any case, if sitting out in the woods at 4:30AM counts over the last few days ...then I've been camping recently too ...hehehe.

All night, they aren't used to being out overnight. They were definitely a little skittish.

Camping with dogs reminds me of a night backpacking trip I did in college.

I wanted do to a night backpacking trip for some dumb reason, so I hiked up Mt. Wachusett, starting a little after dark. Getting to the top didn't take long so I explored some of the other trails and came to the top a different way. Around 3:30am I decided to get some sleep so I just layed my poncho and sleeping bag right beside the trail. After about an hour I wake to the feeling of a WET NOSE ON MY FOREHEAD!!!!! No sh1t! There I am, trussed up and helpless in my mummy bag, with the string tight closing the opening around my face, I'm all alone in the woods and I have a wet nose poking my forehead.[shocked]. It turned out to be a friendly dog that stayed with me for the rest of the night and most of the next day [grin]. Fortunately I didn't need the spare underware I packed, but for a minute there I figured I had a really, really serious problem.

I met some great people (including Andy) at a wilderness camp out led by Boghog on a farm in Boscawen NH. Andy posted pics on that thread. I believe it was titled wilderness camp out.

Wilderness survival camp out. If i was skilled, i would link to it but im not.

I met some great people (including Andy) at a wilderness camp out led by Boghog on a farm in Boscawen NH. Andy posted pics on that thread. I believe it was titled wilderness camp out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.
Here is a video from a trip last February:
Kifaru East Coast Rendezvous 2018

i might be heading to that this year, do you know kevin estella? ive hosted him and some of his other bushcraft instructor friends on my property down here for classes, its been a ton of fun. he just messaged me when he found out i was looking at the sawtooth and invited me to the rendezvous to try one of before i inevitably take it home.

im highly considering grabbing myself a sawtooth.

I don't think I've met Kevin.
Has he been to the ECR before?
If I didn't already have a Kifaru Para Tarp, Super Tarp, and 8-man Tepee I'd get a Sawtooth.

Back
Top Bottom