1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Maple Syrup

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tk421991, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I frighten myself how right I tend to be. Women fear me. Men want me. Fish wanna be me. Or something like that.

2. tk421991

tk421991

Since I posted about getting the RI syrup last month, I've went through about 2/3 of it. It's what I want in a syrup - thinner rather than thicker, sweet, flavorful and what I expect from a syrup:

http://charliessugarhouse.com/shop/

3. dhuze

dhuze NES Member

An island surrounded by land on three sides
    I grew up in NH right next to one of the biggest producers of Maple syrup in NH. We (all the neighborhood kids) helped him collect sap and stoke the fire all the time.
    I cannot and will not use any of that fake syrup flavored crap. I still go to NH to buy my syrup from a guy in Campton. I can drink that stuff like it's a glass of milk.

4. robjax

robjax NES Member

we had a couple from Zebs back in June. Just looked in the fridge and the only on in there is from the Old Country Store in Moultonboro...I don't see any more Zebs...I might need to take a ride......lol

We're buyers.....we don't make our own...

5. tk421991

tk421991

Tried a new RI syrup - has a smell of coffee, but tastes great. Dark and robust. Got it at Appleland Orchard in Smithfield, RI, off of Snake Hill Road and RI116. They also have very good donuts.

http://applelandorchardri.com/contact-us/

[​IMG]

6. yanici

yanici NES Member

I won a quart in a karma from roccoracer last year. Nice light colored and oh so good. If you need some this year give him a try, you'll be glad you did.

7. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

I bought a gallon. Hoarding it for the snowpocolypse French Toast.

8. Waher

Waher NES Member

Target sells their own Archer Farms brand in glass jars which is 100% pure Vermont maple syrup for half the cost of what a typical supermarket charges for "organic" pure maple syrup in a glass jar. It's good REAL stuff for the price of cheap corn based garbage masquerading as syrup most brands pass off as 'maple'.

9. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    The town's Cub Scouts (i.e. the involved dads) started making syrup a couple years ago. We have every scout in the town tap all their Maple trees and deliver the sap to the Pack Chair's home. We then spend a weekend using a home made evaporator reducing the sap. In the end, each scout ends up with a 6oz jar with a nice label that specifies the fact that it comes from the scouts and what year it was made.

We always keep a half dozen jars for local charity fundraisers. Last year, each bottle auctioned at $25 each. Two of the buyers were former auction winners and bought again as "it was the best syrup ever".

10. Ducttape4all

Ducttape4all NES Member

Parkers maple barn in Mason NH best I have ever had.

11. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

Make your own, it's easy. I do a gallon a year. Good excuse to hang out outside and drink beer.

smokey-seven and CosmicIrony like this.
  12. CosmicIrony

CosmicIrony NES Member

Harms Family Farm, in Brookfield. I have a gallon of grade B sitting, waiting for me to make a batch of maple mead.

13. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

How many trees do you tap to end up with a gallon? I just want to do it to have a little fun in the process, and to produce some for my families consumption

14. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

2-3 trees, that's it. I do it because I have good trees right next to the house. I dream of tapping more, and know a few people who do, but it seems like that crosses the line from a fun and tasty hobby to actual work!!

15. Dieseldog13

Dieseldog13

Be very, very careful! We all said the same thing, got addicted to the whole process, and ended up constantly expanding our operations. That said, it is a great way to help get through the late winter in New England.
    My first year I put out only three buckets and promised my wife that I would not let it expand like all of my other hobbies. I really meant it when I said it. It really is a great, seasonal hobby so give it a try.
    As to the the number of trees to make a gallon, that is hard to say because some trees are sap cows and other give little. It takes about 40 gallons of sap from a Sugar Maple and 50 gallons from a Red or Swamp Maple to make a gallon. Have fun!

16. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    It depends. It depends on the weather and the tree. So long as you get a cycle of freeze at night and warm during the day, each tap can produce a gallon + of sap per day. You can tap a full size Maple as many as three times. (Need at least 10" trunk for one tap) We have 6 Maples in our yard and we gathered 14 5 gallon buckets last year. Depending on the sugar level of the sap, that could produce anywhere from about a gallon to just over a gallon and a half. Since we mixed into the communal collection, I don't know what that collection yielded. For the highest sugar levels, about 40:1 is the ratio, but you can easily need double that. Likely it will be somewhere in between.

Tapping isn't that hard. There are simple plastic taps that we use with the scouts. Usually they are good for only one year, but with care they can last. You can use pretty much any food safe container. We tell the scouts to use either 2 liter soda bottles or milk jugs. You cut a hole near the top that can fit over the tap's flange and you just hang it on the tree. Checking it first thing in the morning, as soon as home from school, and then again a few hours after dark helps prevent overflow. With soda bottles, you might need to check at noon when it is really flowing.

We have one family with a lot of trees that uses several huge coolers tied to a trailer to transport their sap. You can collect a LOT.

This is the demonstration we give the scouts on how to tap the tree. You can get the plastic taps at a lot of places on-line.

I will warn you that the window is usually very narrow. Tap early and you don't see much until the weather gets right. Tap late and you miss it. I've had times where it flows great for 3-4 days and then the nights don't get cold enough, but just wait a week and you get another 3-4 good days. Don't tap too early or the tree starts to heal and will close off the tap area. When you tap another year, be sure you are at least 2-3 inches away from a previous tap.

Also be careful not to use Norway Maples. You can tell these by pulling a leaf off the tree about this time of year and look at the end of the stem where it attached to the tree. If the liquid is clear, tap it. If it is at all milky, don't.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017
    mibro likes this.
  17. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

Just remember you have to boil it down at least 40:1. Yeah, 40+ gallons of sap for 1 gallon of syrup. Good trees will produce a gallon a day. Great ones will do 2 gallons a day. Don't boil it in your kitchen. The flys and ants will spend the summer licking your kitchen walls[laugh]. It's a lot of fun and my family really likes the home made stuff with our mostly non-sugar maple trees. It's dark and more flavorful (gamey?) than the store bought Vermont stuff.

18. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

thanks guys! I was aware that the ratio was quite low, just wanted to gauge how many I should do. I have about 5-6 reds in my yard that I can tap.

19. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

20. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

21. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

Bought my last quart from a grizzled old dude in Woodstock NH at Faddens country store. Boils it in the parking lot out back. Good stuff.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    AntiHippie likes this.
  22. PatMcD

PatMcD NES Member

From New England and buying Canadian maple syrup from Costco?
    That's like living in Florida and buying Guatemalan oranges.

And RI syrup?? What are they tapping? Phone poles?

23. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell

I have had RI, NH, Maine, VT, and generic syrup. RI is the richest, darkest, and has a roast flavor like coffee out of all the normal store available syrups out there regardless of the RI producer. You're not going to find it outside of the state in all likelihood because production is limited to the strip of the state from about Hopkinton to Burrillville.

Maine, actually, was the worst that I've had.

24. Mxracer239y

Mxracer239y NES Member

25. PatMcD

PatMcD NES Member

I'm not saying one state's syrup (or Canada) taste's any better or worse than another's. Sugar content is sugar content: it's all in how long you boil it down. Maybe down in RI they throw a handfull of coffee beans in it while it's on the boil. Why not? sounds like a good idea to me. You can do a blind taste-test on syrup to determine which one tastes better to you, but it's all about the individual sugar house and their method, not the state it came from.
    My RI comment in my previous post was more of a lame joke reflecting on how small the state is, lack of woodlands, etc.. Yes? No?

fencer likes this.
  26. dhuze

dhuze NES Member

An island surrounded by land on three sides
    I have never seen a Sugar Maple here. There are some, but they are fairly uncommon.
    There is a lot of woodland in RI. Especially the western and southern areas.

I moved down here from central New Hampshire where sapping was something I did with my neighbor when I was a little kid. He was one of the biggest producers of maple syrup in New Hampshire back then and had one of the two biggest boilers in the state.
    No I go to New Hampton NH and buy mine from a guy there.

27. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger NES Member

On a warm day several weeks ago, Mrs. Knuckle Dragger and I visited Baird Farm in Chittenden, VT. Great people and great syrup. The sap was running hard that day, so they even let us tap a couple of trees. We'll be back next weekend for their open house.

BTW - syrup 'grades' are all based on preference.

28. dragonballzz

dragonballzz

WHAT. You may like thin, watery syrup and I may like thicc, sweet syrup and they both can be labeled Grade A??

29. arsco

arsco NES Member

Regionally flavor may change due to the mineral content.

30. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    A few (OK, more than a few) years ago, there was a business (Gas station?) that had a bucket on a phone pole outside the business. "Polish Sap Bucket." it said.

Some passerby complained to the town. Town said, "It' not our pole...call the utility." Utility said, "We can't deal with this, call the bucket owner." Owner of the business said, "It's a joke."

Complainant said, "I'm offended, I'm Polish"

Owner said, "I'm Polish, too." [laugh]

I think the bucket stayed.