• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Map preservation

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
We have a WWII Esso map of the Pacific. It is marked with dates and locations corresponding to the movement of a capital ship during WWII, and even some references to task force numbers.

The map is now coming apart at the folds and yellowing. Can we do anything to restore it?

Could it be copied without causing more damage?

I doubt a ship or naval museum would be interested, since the official deck logs are now public information. But interesting in itself.

Attachments

• AE0D7D9B-C622-4F3C-BBA5-F34FF9EFB1FB.jpeg
    AE0D7D9B-C622-4F3C-BBA5-F34FF9EFB1FB.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 57
just nosing around at this esso map series. there is an antique map dealer with the second volume of war maps listed for $45. the 3rd one that you have was sold with no price listed.

I had a couple of paintings restored and varnished by a guy who does work for the MFA, it wasn't that expensive. I think the pros all travel in the same circles, so any museum curator would probably be happy to refer you to a cartography expert. Surroundings Gallery in Gardner gave me some good referrals.

Talk to your local librarian. They tend to be knowledgeable about how to restore documents and/or who to refer you to.

Back
Top Bottom