Manufacturer License

Producer

NES Member
I was looking at the ATF site and it says

Type 07 -
MANUFACTURER OF FIREARMS other than destructive devices.

18 U.S.C 923(a)(1)(B)

Fee:

$ 150 for three (3) years.
Application: ATF Form 7 (5310.12)

I have my C&R already but is it easy to get this? Do i need another license to get this one? I assume SOT (Special Occupational Tax) is involved here. I have read its $500 per year on July 1st for people making less then $500,000.

Any info would be appreciated. its tough to find a laid out step by step process.

Talk to folks such as Jim Sheppard at ZHA or Adam at InfiniteArms (at the NES Car Shoot next month). Both are SOT and Mfrs.

I would think you'd need a commercial business location as a first step.

Talk to folks such as Jim Sheppard at ZHA or Adam at InfiniteArms (at the NES Car Shoot next month). Both are SOT and Mfrs.

Sure sounds that way...

Does the law regulate who can be in the business? [Top]

Yes. The Gun Control Act (GCA), administered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) of the United States Department of Justice, contains Federal licensing standards for various firearms businesses (manufacturers, importers, and dealers). An example of these standards is that the applicant must have a business premises.

[18 U.S.C. 923(d), 27 CFR 478.47]

Who can get a license? [Top]

ATF will approve the application if the applicant:

* Is 21 years or more of age;
* Is not prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition;
* Has not willfully violated the GCA or its regulations;
* Has not willfully failed to disclose material information or willfully made false statements concerning material facts in connection with his application;
* Has premises for conducting business or collecting; and,

The applicant certifies that--

(1) the business to be conducted under the license is not prohibited by State or local law at the place where the licensed premise is located to include compliance with zoning ordinances;

(2) within 30 days after the application is approved the business will comply with the requirements of State and local law applicable to the conduct of the business;

(3) business will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of State and local law applicable to the business have been met;

(4) a completed copy of the application has been has been sent or delivered to the chief law enforcement officer of the locality in which the premises is located; and,.

(5) secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place in which firearms are sold under the license to persons who are not licensees ("secure gun storage or safety defined in 18 U.S.C. 921 (a) (34) ) .

Editor's Note

The requirement to certify to the availability of gun storage or safety devices was enacted on October 22, 1998, by Public Law 105-277. The requirement is codified in section 923 (d (1) (G) of the GCA and became effective 180 days after the date of enactment.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/fflc/ffl/faqs_genques.htm

Yep I believe per Mass State law a manufacturing or gunsmithing business can't be on residential property at all. Your business must be on commercial property. It might be different if you have a house on a commercial zone, I'm not sure.

You also might want to consult with the town/city you plan on having your manufacturing business. Some towns do not want anything "gun" in their town and can work to shut you down.

my 2 cents

A friend in Texas turned his in after a short time. It wasn't worth the trouble to keep. He now just provides services on customers rifles and supplied receivers.

You need to have a business to make it worthwhile. Not only is it
an ATF requirement it's also a practical one. You also need
political tie ins with CLEOs to make it worthwhile. (After all, you
need Friendly Sheriff Bob or whoever to be able to sign off on those
Post-86 MG demo letters, otherwise what's the point of becoming a
full blown SOT taxpayer? [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom