MantisX NES Group - Dry/Live Fire Trainer Device

MaverickNH

NES Member
MantisX - High-tech firearms training system

I have started an NES group on the MantisX website/app for anyone who buys the device and wants to join. It’s a closed group but visible. Use your NES name to request add, PM me you’ve requested an add, and I’ll add you. I won’t look every day so be patient.

I just got the unit today. It’s basically an accelerometer in a unit that’s the size of a mini-laser you slide on a rail. It pairs with an app and detects a dry fire or live fire “shot” and plots data a bit before and after the “shot” to determine how your muzzle deflects during the trigger pull to time of shot and a bit after.

I have a RMR Red Dot on my G19 Longslide (G19 frame with G17 slide and barrel) and did 50 shots dry fire around the house today. As I varied my grip based on sets of 10 shots, I could see changes in patterns of errors. But I still have errors! Live fire maybe next week at MFL to see if the unit survives...

Awesome, I just picked one of these up.
I’ve only dryfired as well but it makes correcting errors so much easier.
Looking forward to checking it out at range on pistol and ar.
Cool piece of kit and it sounds like the current software is just the start, with a lot more coming (all compatible with current gen hardware, the updates are on app side.)

Got one of these for myself for christmas but I havent taken it out of the box yet! I hear nothing but good things!

Anyway, i’ll probably dry fire and live fire more ‘cause I got one. Hopefully the placebo device gets credit for that at least!

I love dry fire. My increase in centerfire pistol skill can be directly attributed to this. So when I see promising product being kneecapped while walking out the convention door I feel compelled to rebuke.

First lets assume how this product functions. The device is activated when the firing pin gets struck then takes a period of time before and after that point to build a simulated shot pattern from recorded movement. Pretty simple. Also explains why striker fires like Glock are less reliable. Less shock from the firing pin action to sense and record a trigger pull.

So now on to the reviewers single paragraph "Die in a fire" synopsis of said product. He shows a single target with a rather crappy grouping to justify that the app recording does not match. Just because a few hits were sensed to have hit high or to the left when all paper hits ended up below means nothing as far as being inaccurately recorded. It probably just means his aim point was a little low during these and actually did have some recorded upper and/or left movement.

I bet this product is both sensitive and accurate as designed so once its limitations are realized and the magic behind what it actually does are erased one can actually benefit greatly from its use in both dry and live fire training.

Just received a MantisX. Will give it a workout and some range time to see if it works for me. I've read both positive and negative reviews with different pistols, different people, and lot's of different variables.

I'll be running it on a Beretta 92FS w/Tactical & Rescue Gear's Tick rail attachment device and a S&W M&P 9C which has a rail.

Joined MaverickNH's MantisX group and will be curios to compare my results with others.

Jay

Anyone pick up a Mantis x10 yet. Was thinking of the X3, but honestly I want to work on my rifle skills a bit more than pistol. That and the x10 also works with archery

Beyond the rifle and archery, it just seems to have way more options for training and feedback

Anyone pick up a Mantis x10 yet. Was thinking of the X3, but honestly I want to work on my rifle skills a bit more than pistol. That and the x10 also works with archery

Beyond the rifle and archery, it just seems to have way more options for training and feedback
I have had the x1o for a few months. I use it exclusively for pistol. I make an effort to use it every day for a minimum of 20 shots. I would absolutely put myself in the amateur category.
I have seen huge improvements in the shooting!! My competition career consists of 4 steel matches! Ha. But, my total time from my last match a few weeks ago up until today's mat h has decreased. I had a total of 250 seconds last match and finished with 163 seconds today. That was strictly dryfire from last months match until today.
Just my experience, bit definitely not regretting the investment. Especially with the ammo prices!!

MantisX - High-tech firearms training system

I have started an NES group on the MantisX website/app for anyone who buys the device and wants to join. It’s a closed group but visible. Use your NES name to request add, PM me you’ve requested an add, and I’ll add you. I won’t look every day so be patient.

I just got the unit today. It’s basically an accelerometer in a unit that’s the size of a mini-laser you slide on a rail. It pairs with an app and detects a dry fire or live fire “shot” and plots data a bit before and after the “shot” to determine how your muzzle deflects during the trigger pull to time of shot and a bit after.

I have a RMR Red Dot on my G19 Longslide (G19 frame with G17 slide and barrel) and did 50 shots dry fire around the house today. As I varied my grip based on sets of 10 shots, I could see changes in patterns of errors. But I still have errors! Live fire maybe next week at MFL to see if the unit survives...
I wish they had a way if attaching one to revolvers that don't have a rail. :(

How does it know where your shots are hitting? Does it have a camera?

Edit: I just saw the adapter. I will have to see if that will work with the revolver I shoot all the time.

Last edited:
I wish they had a way if attaching one to revolvers that don't have a rail. :(

How does it know where your shots are hitting? Does it have a camera?

Edit: I just saw the adapter. I will have to see if that will work with the revolver I shoot all the time.
I use the adapter on the base of my magazine for holster work. I can use the same holster that I use for steel matches. Works well.
As far as how it tracks shots...its magic!! Lol.

Need some opinions on a dry fire training system.

I’m leaning towards the MantisX as the app seems to provide much better analysis than the typical laser cartridge systems (unless there is a good one out there folks recommend)

edit: bought the mantisX dry-live version

Last edited:
Need some opinions on a dry fire training system.

I’m leaning towards the MantisX as the app seems to provide much better analysis than the typical laser cartridge systems (unless there is a good one out there folks recommend)

Do or should you use something in conjunction with the MantisX to protect the firing pin?

I think that a quality replica airsoft gun of what you carry is better investment. That being said... I have both. The Mantis X provides value across dry and live fire, but is WAY more valuable for live fire (because that's where your flinch/whatever shows up.

I’ll admit I most often pick up my SIRT trainer and do a dozen trigger presses in the upstairs hallway. My wife has a little Buddha statue paperweight on a desk and I sight in on that 30ft away and work the trigger press. While not a scientific fact, someone at SIG said they thought that good marksmanship practice was up to 80% transferable gun-to-gun. That said, any good practice is better than no practice.

Back
Top Bottom