Mansfield (MA) F&G Protective Assn

Is the indoor range still 'under construction'? Still one of the closest clubs to my house, but an indoor range with 24/7 access is a must for me, unfortunately.

Is the indoor range still 'under construction'? Still one of the closest clubs to my house, but an indoor range with 24/7 access is a must for me, unfortunately.

Realistically the money we have is going into getting the building itself finished so we can regain an occupancy permit from the town.

Wrt the indoor range my non-expert opinion (I am NOT on the building committee and not privy to any inside info) is that if we are able to put ventilation and lighting inside the indoor range, we might be able to use it prior to putting in a more fancy range (shooting bays) whenever we get the money back in the treasury to do so.

The short answer is that the indoor range isn't likely to be usable this year.

If that is your criteria, take a look at Holbrook, Braintree or Taunton depending on what is a reasonable distance for you.

Someone left a nice pair of sunglasses on the yellow gate post. I put them on one of the tables on the outdoor 50 yard range in a safe spot.

If your thinking about joining mansfield fish and game. Save your time and money i joined 8 months ago, and you dont get your moneys worth. There are classes being held every time i wanna shoot witch is a pain in the butt, and the students are unsafe. On top of that i had problems with 8 - 10 members who went out of there way to piss me off. I go to the range to relax and have fun, and i stick to myself and im quiet. There is a COUPLE good guys there but the rest can be losers. I joined mfg because i heard they were more relaxed than angle tree, but i NEVER had problems at angle tree. But after dealing with classes every time i want to shoot, and members that are aholes i canceled my membership at mfg and will never return. Save your time and money and find a club that is worth the membership fees.

If your thinking about joining mansfield fish and game. Save your time and money i joined 8 months ago, and you dont get your moneys worth. There are classes being held every time i wanna shoot witch is a pain in the butt, and the students are unsafe. On top of that i had problems with 8 - 10 members who went out of there way to piss me off. I go to the range to relax and have fun, and i stick to myself and im quiet. There is a COUPLE good guys there but the rest can be losers. I joined mfg because i heard they were more relaxed than angle tree, but i NEVER had problems at angle tree. But after dealing with classes every time i want to shoot, and members that are aholes i canceled my membership at mfg and will never return. Save your time and money and find a club that is worth the membership fees.

I am a member, all though I have not visited in several months.
A small instruction range is available for use with BOD approval. As far as I know, any instruction in n the 50 or 100 yard ranges can should not prevent range access from members.

Has anything changed recently with regards to class use of the main ranges, LenS?

I don't think you can assemble any group of 250+ people and not have one or two "bad apples" but 8-10? I have been a member at MFG for @8 years and have not met anywhere near that number. If you have a problem with the training scheduling take it to the BOD, that's what they're there for.

I am a member, all though I have not visited in several months.
A small instruction range is available for use with BOD approval. As far as I know, any instruction in n the 50 or 100 yard ranges can should not prevent range access from members.

Has anything changed recently with regards to class use of the main ranges, LenS?

You are correct.

I'll let the president respond to 508's complaints. If there are real issues, I'm sure that Rick will take care of that (to benefit all members).

I brought a guest to MF&G last Saturday and the 2 of us were the ONLY people on the property from ~10AM until 12:30ish! I've taught PPIH and PPOH classes there and only use the instructors range behind the building, so I never interfere with members use of the ranges. I know that Rick has used the 100 yd range for teaching some of his classes, but I think that was because I was using the instructor range that same day.

I've been there when Jamie and C-pher are teaching and they are extremely respectful of the members who are there shooting. I've never seen a problem when they are teaching . . . and I'm really not friends with either of them, so this is an unbiased assessment. I can't speak about any other instructors. I know of one instructor there who was extremely DISRESPECTFUL of members (I had to wait 45 minutes for a ceasefire to set up a target) and allowed his students to handle guns during a ceasefire . . . but I haven't seen him around the club in a long time (and don't miss him).

I have never seen busybodies hassle shooters at MF&G and I've been a member for 7 or 8 years now . . . that is not to say that there aren't a few that might do this as every org has a few a-holes, it's human nature. However, discussing the matter as soon as possible with the club president goes a long way to solve problems vs. holding it in, quitting and ranting about it. I received a new proposed by-law last night in Email, so now wonder if that might be a reaction to this rant and that perhaps there was a real problem that is about to get dealt with?

I thought your post was about a real issue and thus the BOD should be made aware and left to deal with whatever the real issue is. I didn't join any side, but if a member just up and quits because something is wrong, officers need to know and address whatever the problem might be so others don't also just give up and quit. In that vein, I merely forwarded your original post and my reply that the BOD should handle whatever is causing members problems.

I am also now aware of your threat to me, which was totally uncalled for regardless of your problem with the club, before you edited your reply.

Other than attending meetings or teaching students (on the instructor range only) at MF&G, I think I've only been there to shoot 3 times this year.

The two of us haven't been out there together for a while, too.

Well, when you next visit the area, you always have an open invitation. We just can't make a group thing out of going there and shooting (too much red tape, BOD permission, etc.), but a member with a guest works any time.

I couldn't disagree more. I joined a few months ago and so far it's been far more than I expected. The BOD is transparent and polite vs. secretive and demeaning like at some other places. In the case were there is a class I just go over to the 100. No big deal. Students are unsafe by default. There's nothing new there. And if 8-10 people "went out of there way" to piss you off then I'm quite sure that anyone reading this is wondering "is it the 8-10 people who are the problem or are you the problem?" There's nothing wrong with sticking to yourself but if you're doing it because you don't like ANYONE then that's a problem.

I am also now aware of your threat to me, which was totally uncalled for regardless of your problem with the club, before you edited your reply.

I saw that too, way not cool.

I think 6gears hit it on the head. How do you piss off 8-10 people after being a member for only a few months. After seeing what he posted, I think it's obvious where the problem lies. Good riddance.

I have been a member about 2 years. So far everyone I have met has played well in the sandbox and shared their toys.

I have been a member about 2 years. So far everyone I have met has played well in the sandbox and shared their toys.

Same. Len, being the great guy he is, referred me to the club. I haven't had a problem here since I have been a member. The other members are always nice and friendly. In fact this is probably the best club I have been a member of.

Looking for a tour and or sponsor (currently looking to get out of Ames). And no, I have never had a problem with Ames and the leaders, just looking for something closer.

Looking for a tour and or sponsor (currently looking to get out of Ames). And no, I have never had a problem with Ames and the leaders, just looking for something closer.

Send me an Email off my username (NOT a PM). My availability during weekdays is very good. Weekends tend to be very busy, but I'll see what I can do to give you a tour.

I've said this to others and I'll say it here... I was a project manager in high tech for many years and there is one thing I can tell you with 100% certainty. If a project has no project plan and there is no due date then the project will never get completed. NEVER. I enjoyed my few months at the club and would have stayed if there were an indoor range or some sort of proof that it will get done. The board members are competent and polite and I met some nice people there so that's not an issue. Being cold sucks to begin with, but due to a medical issue I have a VERY low tolerance to cold and need an indoor range. The day I see a functional indoor range is the day I will gladly rejoin the club.

MF&G is a decent club, been to others as guests and belonged to another one before too. Stopped when moved out of state.

In general though, whether it is an indoor range or any other change regardless of the club, is a combination of money, paid help, donated help, planning, and scheduling that moves it along. Dates without money end up being delayed dates. They were over 50% done before the building damage from the weather a couple years ago.

Good luck with the club, membership, and re-building.

Dana

I'm not an officer or BOD member but as an observant member who did an addition and renovations to my house some 15 years ago I can tell you that you need to double the estimate to come close to what you'll end up spending.

Given that, once the building is completed to the point that we can get an occupancy permit, I seriously doubt that we'll have any money in the treasury to complete the indoor range for many years hence. Both Rick and I have discussed short-term alternatives for making the indoor range usable after the building is complete and that should help, however MF&G like most other small clubs needs to rely on volunteer labor for too many things to get all this done anytime in the near future (and I'm meaning years, not months).

I can't wait to see it all done, but I'm planning on another year of using the museum for my classes for lack of a clubhouse if that gives you a clue on my confidence level.

Trying to decide between Mansfield and Taunton (5 miles further from me than Mans.). Joined Holbrook last year but due to conflicting work schedule was unable to get signatures needed. What can you tell me about the facilities?

Trying to decide between Mansfield and Taunton (5 miles further from me than Mans.). Joined Holbrook last year but due to conflicting work schedule was unable to get signatures needed. What can you tell me about the facilities?

Mansfield has 4 outdoor ranges. Archery (newly built), a training range - 21' for instructor use so as not to interfere with members using the other ranges), 50 yd (can set targets at any distance up to 50 yds, as long as you maintain safety you can shoot from the holster/on the move/etc., can shoot pistol/rifle/shotgun/machine gun (with special endorsement)), 100 yd for rifle and long-barrel handguns. No indoor facilities . . . under construction for years now, maybe in another year or two we'll have a usable building. Indoor range is partially built (prior to collapse of prior building) but further work on that is unlikely until after the building is occupiable. NOTE: Building comments are my personal assessment and may not be the same as those on the building committee/officers.

Good group of people, range is usually pretty deserted except on Saturdays. I've been there on Sundays where myself and a guest (now a member) were the only shooters there for 2-3 hours that we were there.

More info on www.mansfieldfish.com

I will like to join the Mansfield . I would like to have a sponsor anyway. Is the anytime I could go see the club

If you check out the website, read the rules and bylaws, fill out the forms and bring them tonight to the BOD meeting (Mansfield Public Library meeting room, doors are directly facing you as you enter the building) at 7PM, the BOD will sponsor you and recommend you to the members meeting next Wednesday evening (same time/place). If you have a sponsor (my general policy is someone who I've shot with or instructed) you can skip the BOD meeting and just get voted in at the members meeting. NOTE: IIRC there is no July members meeting.

As for a tour, sorry to say that I'm too busy right now to do that this week. You can park to the left of the DPW building and walk up to the gate. If it is open, go back for your car (but have hearing protection with you) and drive in. I STRONGLY suggest NOT driving up to the gate to see if it is open, as backing down has ZERO visibility on a dirt/gravel path that curves, not advised. Just try not to touch the gate or let your clothes touch . . . the pine sap is a sticky mess and difficult to remove.

I will be there on Sunday afternoon (probably after 1PM) so that the gate will be open, but I'll be teaching an intensive course (NRA PPOH) so I can't give anyone a tour but you can certainly walk around and if anyone else is there approach them and most will be more than helpful.

If you check out the website, read the rules and bylaws, fill out the forms and bring them tonight to the BOD meeting (Mansfield Public Library meeting room, doors are directly facing you as you enter the building) at 7PM, the BOD will sponsor you and recommend you to the members meeting next Wednesday evening (same time/place). If you have a sponsor (my general policy is someone who I've shot with or instructed) you can skip the BOD meeting and just get voted in at the members meeting. NOTE: IIRC there is no July members meeting.

As for a tour, sorry to say that I'm too busy right now to do that this week. You can park to the left of the DPW building and walk up to the gate. If it is open, go back for your car (but have hearing protection with you) and drive in. I STRONGLY suggest NOT driving up to the gate to see if it is open, as backing down has ZERO visibility on a dirt/gravel path that curves, not advised. Just try not to touch the gate or let your clothes touch . . . the pine sap is a sticky mess and difficult to remove.

I will be there on Sunday afternoon (probably after 1PM) so that the gate will be open, but I'll be teaching an intensive course (NRA PPOH) so I can't give anyone a tour but you can certainly walk around and if anyone else is there approach them and most will be more than helpful.
I will try to make it tonight . Thank you for the info

Back
Top Bottom