Mansfield (MA) F&G Protective Assn

Hi 50
I am a Mansfield resident and am just wondering if there is an expected completion date of the indoor range?

Just a member, so no inside info here . . .

It's a function of money, the club is doing work on it as money allows. Currently have walls, ceiling and backstop in place. Might have completed lighting (not sure). Still need heat and air-handling system, then shooting stations, etc.

I'd guesstimate that realistically we're still looking at a few years out, unless some very wealthy person comes forward with a huge donation. [wink]

Hi 50
I am a Mansfield resident and am just wondering if there is an expected completion date of the indoor range?

Maxspeed, Come visit us this Wednesday for the Members meeting at 7PM and say howdy. Can't hurt to visit, shake some hands and then decide what we are all about.

-Rick

Hi Rick
Thanks for the invite but I will be in Jacksonville this wed. I actually emailed the club a few questions back last March when I was looking for a club but never received a reply. Unfortunately I ended up joining Independent. Being in West Mansfield it seemed a little easier to get too both in time (10 minutes) and distance since I can get there all back roads with no traffic or signals. Perhaps I will stop by some day.
Max

I missed Wednesday night, is there any other time I can get an application and present it? I have already recieved great response from members on this site. I joined a local place for when I get the itch but I'm looking more for a Club like Mansfield, have heard great things. I should have asked around before I joined my last club, was way to easy to join, I should have known something at that point. In hind sight I now know how a bad club is run and look forward to Mansfield and becoming a Member not a user.

Good news (for a change):

The 50 yd firing range has been reopened for Member use.
All Hours of Operation, Rules, Policies, and Regulations pertaining to Member use of MFGPA facilities still apply.

There is a padlock on the gate. The combination to the padlock <was contained in the Email to Members>.
Access through the gate is for Members and Guests only.

If you are a member of MF&G and didn't get the Email, you'll need to contact an officer (NOT me) for the combination.

NOTE: All other facilities at MF&G are off-limits due to the roof collapses (building and 100 yd range).

Finally some good news . . .

100yd Range is Open
Conditioned on Construction

The debris from the collapse of the 100yd roof canopy has been removed.
The plywood barrier over the entrance has been removed.

The 100yd range is open and can be used by Members and their Guests.

The roof canopy has not yet been rebuilt. The firing line is open to the sky.

It will be necessary to temporarily close the 100yd range once construction of the new roof canopy begins. The web site will be updated with status.

Please understand that once construction gets underway the status of the range may change with little notice.

Enjoy your day at the range!

MF&G Status Update

I stopped by MF&G on 7/12/11 and was pleased to see some progress on the removal of the collapsed building roof.

I took some pics with my cell phone and the links are posted below for those interested.

Be aware that going there during the M-F "workday hours" (for construction folks), you are likely to find the 50 yd range closed due to heavy machines working there to remove the debris. The 100 yd is available to use.

Also, be cautious driving in there at any time. There was ~20' of bent conduit laying across part of the driveway and another ~10-12' section in a parking area. Anytime you are around a construction site, nails/screws/chunks of metal are tire hazards to be aware of.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss254/Len-Pub/MFG Progress/31e684d7.jpg

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss254/Len-Pub/MFG Progress/f8aa45dc.jpg

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss254/Len-Pub/MFG Progress/9e1419ae.jpg

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss254/Len-Pub/MFG Progress/5b4df8a8.jpg

Len

Thanks for the photos. Was those shots taken from the 50 yd range and the demolition starting from the backstop?

Richard

As of last week, the walls & roof were up on the 3 sides of the clubhouse that I could see. External progress is coming along nicely.

Is there an estimated time for project completion for the building?

-JR

My understanding is that the outside should have been completed by today. The inside will depend on the membership and Building Committee as I understand that Rebuildex is done when the shell is complete. The new building is very different than the old one and cost to do it all would have been well beyond what the insurance would pay the club for the loss, so they will rely on volunteer labor and contract out some things themselves.

What this means before we can occupy the building is anyone's guess . . .

I was there last night for the and the side of the building closest to the range still needs some siding put on.

Correct, the Shell is up. There's still a few more things to do, then it will be handed off to us.

We found that it would be cheaper to GC the inside ourseleves rather than have RebuildEx do it for us. Once we have the go ahead, we'll start that. The goal is to have it done before the Winter starts...but we'll see.

What is the 2nd floor and that small alley way on the first floor that is farthest away from the outdoor range for?

What is the 2nd floor and that small alley way on the first floor that is farthest away from the outdoor range for?

NOT speaking for the club or management thereof . . .

- Alleyway on the sides of the indoor range lead to a couple of doors (emergency exit on left), storage space, etc. When the indoor range was started, due to the quonset roof, that was probably as far over as the wall of the range could be constructed. Now it can be used for some other uses TBD.

- The upstairs is as big as the clubroom downstairs. TBD wrt what it will be used for, but it could be used for a couple of classrooms, a very large meeting room, etc. We have a lot more flexibility now with the real second floor and conventional pitched roof.

I checked out the updated construction pictures. Great progress! I think it may be time to submit a membership application. I was waiting to see how the fast the rebuild would happen. I started looking for a range to join just before the collapse and have yet to pull the trigger (pun intended).

-JR

Hi all - I'm a recent LTC holder and also have aquired my NRA membership - I have visited the Mansfield range as a guest and was hoping someone from the Mansfield Club would sponsor me for this coming directors meeting on June 20, 2012. I thought I had a sponsor already but he hasn't met the 1 year membership requirement so i'm looking for someone who is willing to sponsor me. I would greatly appreciate a post or PM to myself. Thanks.

Bugs!

First the flies at the entrance gate. In the minute and a half it took me to unlock and open the gate, no less than 487 flies made kamikazi crashes in and around my face area.

Then the giant bee looking things on the 50 yard range. They will leave you alone for the most part, sticking to their low altitude flight patterns. If you dare cross their path to setup targets, they will fly into your legs with nerf-dart like ballistics.

Heading out to shoot at MF&G ? Consider yourself warned!

Those bee like sand creatures have never bothered me over at Mansfield. I can't speak for the flies, I've never encountered them.

How is the construction of the indoor range going?

I'd laugh at that question if it wasn't so sad.

NO WORK has been done on the building for at least a year now! We have an outer shell, no water, no electricity, no interior walls . . . nothing. And AFAIK (last BOD meeting) there still is no building permit either! There have been legitimate problems with the plans and modifications thereto which are not the fault of the club, but I'm afraid that we are in a funk where it is likely 1-2 years away before we get an occupancy permit to actually use the building again!

Meanwhile we have 2 excellent outdoor ranges to use, and they seem to get a lot of use (at least the 50yd range) and a 7yd range which is behind the building and currently can only be used with BOD approval (sigh: required each time it is to be used) by a handful of Instructors teaching classes (so we don't impact members using the 50yd range).

That's all she wrote!

ETA: Until we can actually use the building there is no thought to work on the indoor range, so I'd put my SWAG estimate out to 5 years after the building is usable at best.

That's unfortunate, thanks for the update. I was looking for something with indoor and MF&G is five minutes from home.

Understood . . . but I have to ask Why?

I belong also to the best indoor range in the state . . . Braintree R&P . . . but I do all my shooting outdoors except in the absolute worst of weather. Nothing beats the fresh air, even lighting of shooting outdoors (short of a monsoon or gale force winds).

I do long for the day that I have the option of shooting indoors at Mansfield (although my real reason has more to do with the possibility of running the low-light shooting for NRA PPOH indoors than for personal shooting), but I truly believe that I'll have fully retired and have moved out of MA before I see that day pass!

The way the club handled the whole situation with Fred and a few other issues which I wont go into here, really has Me questioning whether or not I am going to renew my membership next month.

Back
Top Bottom