• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Manchester west high school locked down for "man with a gun"

I just responded to one of the idiots named janeen

Kids are at risk? Had no idea the gun was aiming itself at kids and going off. I guess kids are at risk when cops are in school too? Cops are about three times more likely to commit domestic murder than gun permit holders. The fact is, if anyone wanted to walk into school and hurt a kid, they would do so easily. Pretty sure if someone tried that crap today. This gun owner would have gotten to the bad guy quicker. No amount of legislation can stop a psycho from doing what he does best, being a psycho.

I guess an emotional response not backed by logic is okay if it's "for the kids" right, Ignoramus?

According to the Union leader on twitter, it is a pellet/BB gun. So no test case. Here is a pic from twitter.

ByYkDlWIcAA6XDA.jpg

There's no need for a "test case". What RSA prohibits school carry?

There is no RSA, the issue is that in New Hampshire, your P&R license isn't necessarily issued by law enforcement, it can be issues by a board of selectman or other designee of the town. The exception to the Gun free zone is as follows:

[18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(A)] does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

This hasn't been put to the acid test

There is no RSA, the issue is that in New Hampshire, your P&R license isn't necessarily issued by law enforcement, it can be issues by a board of selectman or other designee of the town. The exception to the Gun free zone is as follows:

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

My P&R was signed by my CLEO who is NOT a board of selectmen.

Yes, I know there's a wrinkle here: There's technically two different NH P&Rs because one can be signed by the BoS OR the town's CLEO.

Maybe someone with standing can get Nappen on the case to screw it up for everyone.

According to the Union leader on twitter, it is a pellet/BB gun. So no test case. Here is a pic from twitter.

ByYkDlWIcAA6XDA.jpg
WMUR: "The weapon was reportedly an authentic-looking pellet gun."
I recall having a pellet gun that looked exactly like a pellet gun, therefore it was "authentic-looking." Failure of journalism.

My favorite is when they say compare a BB/pellet gun to a "traditional firearm". Bunch of idiots. Airguns are not firearms. Because. There. Is. No. Fire.

There are two criteria (per "and") under (ii) but can anyone actually parse the following?
"...the individual...is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located..."

There are two criteria (per "and") under (ii) but can anyone actually parse the following?
"...the individual...is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located..."

Meaning that if the school zone is in NH, you must have a license issued by NH, res or non-res...a license from a state which has reciprocity with NH is no bueno.

That's my take on it.

Ha, that's where i went to HS. Like 10 years ago some thug wannabe brought a gun in, allegedly. IIRC, it was a pellet gun and was buried in his locker.

My P&R was signed by my CLEO who is NOT a board of selectmen.

Yes, I know there's a wrinkle here: There's technically two different NH P&Rs because one can be signed by the BoS OR the town's CLEO.

Actually, the part that hasn't been tested is this wording here:

"and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that,"

NH law allows for a non-LEO to approve the license. So technically the NH RSA doesn't meet the fed law.

NH law allows for a non-LEO to approve the license. So technically the NH RSA doesn't meet the fed law.

My apologies, absolutely correct. Obviously up for debate, but whereas my "political subdivision" requires that the CLEO signs it, I'm in for "open carry open house"

Ha, that's where i went to HS. Like 10 years ago some thug wannabe brought a gun in, allegedly. IIRC, it was a pellet gun and was buried in his locker.

I went there as well, graduated in 95. We had a kid junior year that brought his dads 38 revolver to school to scare some kids that were bullying him. School never went into lockdown when they found out about it, couple cops just showed up and took him away.

If this guy's got a P&R license, there may be a test case for carry in NH schools

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/School-on-Lockdown-After-Man-With-Gun-Enters--277057971.html

Even if it were a real firearm... the odds the guy has a license are small:
Johnson is charged with falsifying physical evidence, a probation violation, criminal trespassing and disturbing school in session. He was taken to the Hillsborough County House of Correction and will be arraigned on Friday morning.
He has a history with Manchester Police. He was arrested for simple assault and stalking in 2011 and for unarmed robbery in 2012.

Correct and thus as written, no NH RESIDENT P&R meets the requirements since the law allows BOS (1st Selectman) OR PD (if there is one) to issue.

What would be most interesting is if someone with a NR NH P&R carried on school property . . . since all NR P&Rs are issued by NHSP, they meet the exemption.

Correct and thus as written, no NH RESIDENT P&R meets the requirements since the law allows BOS (1st Selectman) OR PD (if there is one) to issue.

What would be most interesting is if someone with a NR NH P&R carried on school property . . . since all NR P&Rs are issued by NHSP, they meet the exemption.
The frightening thing is, although the discrepancy is obviously the result of having laws written by morons who know nothing about the subject matter, the reality is gun restrictionist judges would likely capitalize on this in a ruling rather than going with the spirit of the law.

My understanding is that the issue isn't that the P&R can be signed by a selectman, that should be moot. The issue is the part in bold. A selectman could have signed it and an LEO could have run the checks. That would be okay. But does NH law require law enforcement, regardless of who signs it, to "verify that individual is qualified under law"? Which law, state or federal, or both? That is what is murky.

Basically, it isn't what is or isn't done, but what NH law 'requires'.

But in my "political subdivision", my license is issued by the PD by requisite of the government of the city, is it not?

Back
Top Bottom