• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Manchester Firing Line

Yeah went there friday with Radtekk, Mlaboss, Dradian etal, a nice place for an indoor range. Mini me was flipping out though. I fear I will have to rent the mg-42 for him on his upcoming birthday.

I rented a 686 one day for the Moon Island test. The guy next to me was shooting off a Nagant M44. I might as well have not gone.

Ran up to manch-vegas for the first time in 10 years, was worth it. Having so much fun in one building should be illegal [smile]

Lots of toys that I shouldnt even look at being a ma**h***, ended up taking home their last interstate arms clone of the remington 870. Seems like a great shotgun, hope to hit the range tomorow. Great shop, next time ill have to hit the range there.

I stopped by MFLR today to sight in my deer rifle. Even though I've been in there several times, I'm always amazed at the awesome job Jim did putting that place together.

Without question, it's the nicest indoor range I've ever shot in.

Absolutely beautiful.

I went into MFL yesterday afternoon,this was the 3rd time I have been in there since they opened the new range.

This is kind of a gripe as to the actual feel of the place.

When I walked into the place for the first time,I felt like I was walking into a car dealership.

Where is all the firearms I can actually buy?Out back?

I need a pair of binoculars to actually see anything interesting.

Do the employees work on commission there?I was asked if I needed help 4 times in like 5 mins and when I said I was just browsing they continued ask me questions(I'm one of those people if I need help,I will ask)

My wife and I have one day together which is Saturday we don't see eachother for the rest of the week due to conflicting work schedules,we do a tour of Southern NH every weekend different routes and do gun shops and yard sale with plant shopping as a filler.

I really tried to add this store to my list but just can't do it,hopefully the added location will be a bit better for me.

I went into MFL yesterday afternoon,this was the 3rd time I have been in there since they opened the new range.

When I walked into the place for the first time,I felt like I was walking into a car dealership.

The ones with the price tags on them? [laugh]

Yes, I agree that some of the products are hard to see, but presumably that's why they are opening up a new store.

Do the employees work on commission there?I was asked if I needed help 4 times in like 5 mins and when I said I was just browsing they continued ask me questions(I'm one of those people if I need help,I will ask)

If I was going to make a WAG they probably do this because the place gets so crowded on weekends that it is hard for the staffers to keep track of who needs assistance or who doesn't. I am guessing they would rather ask too much rather than potentially forget someone and have someone get pissed off because they didn't get any service. Most of the people hanging around are also trying to check into the range, not necessarily buying guns, either, so its a different sort of process.... so the hyper-vigilance of the staff is probably in part due to that.

-Mike

Well, thank you for coming again KMS. As for the Car Dealership comment, I take that as a complement (in a way). Guns with red or green tags are for sale - we have hundreds of them. The Staff - the largest complaint we have is due to exactly what my friend Mr. Grant says below, people trying to purchase a gun have been pissed off trying to get help. Daily I'm reminding the employees to spread out and take care of everyone. Work on commission? absolutely not,and never will, as it only puts pressure on them to sell and not listen to the customers needs or wants.

My largest competition has many more employees,and many more complaints of people being ignored (go figure). We are here to serve our customers the best we can.

The new store will be much larger (3x) with more staff of course. Without the range pressure,it should be very pleasant to shop there. All long guns will be in reach to see easily. I'm buying collections and stacking them in the "warehouse" and yes, unlike the guy in Amherst,I have one [smile]- so when we open there should be thousands of firearms,bulk ammunition,reloading,surplus firearms etc.etc. ready to go. I won't be the only one in Hooksett of course,but surely will be a destination for anyone that likes firearms. Thanks again, Jim

My wife and I have one day together which is Saturday we don't see eachother for the rest of the week due to conflicting work schedules,we do a tour of Southern NH every weekend different routes and do gun shops and yard sale with plant shopping as a filler.

I really tried to add this store to my list but just can't do it,hopefully the added location will be a bit better for me.

Can't wait to see your new store Jim. We've enjoyed MFLR for a couple of years now and have always looked at it as primarily a range with a gun shop attached. I've never been hassled by salespeople but have waited, understandably to see a gun in a case because they were working their butts off getting people in and out of the range. I always thought this was their first priority. You run a fine place and I'm happy to give you business.

im looking very much forward to checking out the new store.

All my recent visits to Rileys in the past few years have been disappointing.

No clue

Kevin,
we are working daily on the store,and just got set back a bit more when I decided to demo all of the existing lighting fixtures and re-do the entire place with real nice stuff. When that's done,the carpet and tile people will follow - and hopefully the sign will be ready. The last thing that we'll be doing before moving inventory in will be the showcases. As the security NAZI that I am, I picked out showcases like most have never seen before, and any crook in the night will simply shit himself if a smash & grab was the plan. Check out a video on u-tube from display solutions of topeka and see how cool these are for security.

But to simply answer your question - I have no friggn clue [rolleyes]

When will the new store be open?

Kevin,
we are working daily on the store,and just got set back a bit more when I decided to demo all of the existing lighting fixtures and re-do the entire place with real nice stuff. When that's done,the carpet and tile people will follow - and hopefully the sign will be ready. The last thing that we'll be doing before moving inventory in will be the showcases. As the security NAZI that I am, I picked out showcases like most have never seen before, and any crook in the night will simply shit himself if a smash & grab was the plan. Check out a video on u-tube from display solutions of topeka and see how cool these are for security.

wow those are some serious cases! [rofl]

Kevin,

I saw those at Shot a few years back. Badass cases. Did you get the rifle ones that pop out of the counter too?

Those cases look really nice, and will save a LOT of time if they are secure enough to skip the step of moving each gun to a safe at night.

I only hope that the vendor used a quality lock like Medco or Abloy rather than a conventional pin tumbler style, and that the cylinders are changeable to handle issues such as key employee turnover.

sorry about you and your wife having only one day, but that is not Jim's problem. I go to MFL all the time. The people are friendly and help out. Yes it get's busy but that is because it is a successful place. I have never purchased a gun from that hookset place. Their take it or leave it attitude, etc... makes me feel like they don't want or need my business.

Jim has a very good place and the people do a good job. He was a lot more civil with you than I could have been. But of course that is Jim. Did you say Surplus guns Jim? collections? can't wait!!!!

Last edited:
Those cases look really nice, and will save a LOT of time if they are secure enough to skip the step of moving each gun to a safe at night.

I only hope that the vendor used a quality lock like Medco or Abloy rather than a conventional pin tumbler style, and that the cylinders are changeable to handle issues such as key employee turnover.

The blanks are made in Germany, I know that much.

Those cases are awesome but would have liked to seen him attempt to show how secure they are in the back of case on shelving and locks. But seeing the damage the rest took I'm impressed. Can't wait for new store and hopefully new website is coming as well.

Stopped by tonight right before closing and found a S&W 39-2 in excellent condition with the original box and paperwork. Even though it was 5 minutes before closing, Roy got the paperwork started and Tim finished the transaction for me. OUTSTANDING customer service.

I've had a couple of whiny complaints in the past about MFLR but I take them back. Those two guys went above and beyond to help me pick up a gun I've wanted for a long time.

I've been there many times but too long of a drive from central mass unless you have a reservation which I hope you do.
Last time I had a 2 hour wait....
Let us know if they've reopened the old range which was being renovated when I was there last.

Enzo said:
Let us know if they've reopened the old range which was being renovated when I was there last.
As of last week, the old range was STILL being renovated. It's taking almost as long as its taking to open their store in Hookset[grin]

As of last week, the old range was STILL being renovated. It's taking almost as long as its taking to open their store in Hookset[grin]
I too am looking forward to them reopening the old range. I have a "virgin" Mossberg 500 that, after several months, still hasn't been out to any range yet. My wife and I have a membership and are at the range every Wednesday afternoon. We keep politely asking for an ETA on the renovation, but so far, we haven't heard any concrete dates yet.

Lack of a shotgun range is part of the reason I'm most likely going to join the Londonderry Fish and Game Club, just down the road apiece from the MFL.

- Dave

There are no concrete dates since in ripping apart the place to renovate they discovered some unseen problems that require additional work and as Jim told me (this was the week before Labor Day) "do you see any heavy equipment over there? Neither do I and they were supposed to be there to do the work!"

It's not dragging due to Jim's part. And I'm anxious for it to reopen as well as I was looking forward to running another of my MA Gun Law seminars there this year. Unlikely to happen until next Spring at this point (it's a long trip and Winter weather makes it iffy when you have to plan 2-3 months ahead).

Back
Top Bottom