Man with concealed-carry permit kills robbery suspect in Cleveland

From my home state... [grin]
Man with concealed-carry permit kills robbery suspect in Cleveland
Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:30 AM
Associated Press

CLEVELAND—A man who has a permit to carry a concealed gun shot and killed one of two teenage robbery suspects he encountered on his front porch, police said.
City prosecutors decided yesterday that the 25-year-old Cleveland man was justified and would not be charged in the shooting Saturday night of 15-year-old Arthur Buford, a freshman at John F. Kennedy High School.

Buford and another teen approached the man on his porch and one of the youths pulled a gun, prompting the resident to pull his gun and shoot Buford several times in the chest, police said.

Police took a .40-caliber Smith and Wesson from the man as evidence, according to a police report.

Toby Hoover, director of the Toledo-based Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence, said she had not heard of any other fatal shooting involving someone who has a permit to carry a concealed gun under the state's 3-year-old law.

About 30 youths gathered Monday at the intersection where Buford died and set up a memorial. His cousin, Tameka Foster, 21, questioned the decision against prosecuting the shooter.

"They let that man run out freely," Foster said. "My cousin is dead."

Buford's alleged accomplice fled after and shooting and has not been caught. Police believe a .38-caliber handgun they found in the mail chute of a nearby house belonged to Buford or the other suspect, Lt. Thomas Stacho said.

Notice how the paper did not publish the name of the citizen.
thumb.gif

Tameka Foster, 21, questioned the decision against prosecuting the shooter.

"They let that man run out freely," Foster said. "My cousin is dead."

Awww gee Tameka, I feel so f***ing sorry for ya. NOT !
fce32f95.gif

Seems I am seeing many more shooting pieces in the press this last week. Have I just not been noticing them all along, or is the press upping coverage post-VT?

My sympathies to Ms Foster for being related to a criminal, and my congratulations for keeping his head while being accosted by two armed assailants to the unnamed 25 year old.

shocking. I guess Tameka would rather the innocent victim be dead and her criminal relative out "running free" resulting in more deaths. I can understand the sorrow for a dead family member, but not anger at the guy who was FORCED by YOUR relative to defend himself.

more stuff:

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plain....ssf?/base/opinion/117749066813670.xml&coll=2

No sympathy for thug culture
Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Regina Brett
Plain Dealer Columnist
There's a sheet of tributes taped to a red brick wall.
There's a utility pole covered in glittery balloons.
There's a pile of teddy bears resting not far from where 15-year-old Arthur Buford died on the sidewalk.
But there's no debate over concealed-carry laws.
A debate would be as unnecessary as the tributes posted to honor a teen who went looking for trouble and found it.
Damon Wells, 25, was sitting on his own porch Saturday night. It's a long, narrow gray porch with a wicker chair at the end. The house sits near Kinsman Road and East 134th Street in Cleveland.
He was minding his own when two teens tried to rob him. The plan backfired. When Wells saw one kid pull a gun, he drew his own Smith & Wesson and blasted away.
It's sad that a delinquent died on the sidewalk.
It would have been sadder if a law-abiding homeowner had died on his porch.
Wells had no criminal record.
uford, a freshman at John F. Kennedy High School, was still on probation. Last year he committed an aggravated robbery.
Three years ago, Ohio made it legal to carry a concealed weapon. Wells had a permit to carry the gun. Back when Second Amendment advocates argued for that right, they warned people: Don't carry a gun unless you plan to use it if your life is threatened.
The Smith & Wesson could be credited for saving Wells' life, but it didn't protect his home.

After the shooting, someone smashed in his front windows. The house looks deserted now, with sheets of plywood nailed over the windows and front door.
Ever since the shooting, people have stopped at the nearby memorial to scrawl messages honoring Buford.
"God gave me a new angel man . . . Why Da Good Die Young . . . I'll see you in eternity . . . You are with the Lord and we happy for that."
One woman walked by with her toddler. She set a teddy bear in the pile of stuffed animals and scrawled a message on the sign. Her little boy pointed and squealed at the balloons dancing in the wind until she pulled him away.
Others drove by and stopped to tie more heart-shaped balloons to the pole.
Buford's cousin had grumbled to one reporter about the shooter being allowed to run free.
Wells killed the teen Saturday. City prosecutors cleared Wells on Monday, calling the shooting justified. Which leads me to wonder: Why does it take so long to clear police officers when they fire in self-defense?
At least no one can cry race this time. Both the shooter and dead teen are black.
I can't bring myself to call Buford the victim of a shooting. He was the instigator of one.
His family should be ashamed of his actions and apologize to the man he tried to rob.

Two weeks ago, a report came out that examined Cleveland's 389 homicides from 1998 to 2002. The conclusion?
"Homicides in Cleveland are overwhelmingly intra-racial in nature, with black offenders killing black victims."
The majority of victims were black males; the majority of killers were black males.
If there is any debate here, it shouldn't be about gun control.
It should be about thug control.
To reach Regina Brett:
[email protected], 216-999-6328
Previous columns online:
cleveland.com/columns

At least no one can cry race this time. Both the shooter and dead teen are black.

Now we know why we haven't heard from Sharpton or Jackson.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's an Ohio law or a Columbus law but my step brother (lives in Columbus) was telling me that if you commit a felony you are responsible for everything that happens while you are commiting the felony. 2 thugs had broken into a home in Columbus (a few years ago), one of the residents shot and killed thug A, thug B (who I think was outside acting as a lookout) got away and was caught by police a few blocks away and charged with the murder of Thug A... Now that's justice.

I hope Buford's accomplice sees a similar fate.

My simpathies go to the lawful gun owner who has had his home vandalized and probably has to clean the blood off his pourch.

The Smith & Wesson could be credited for saving Wells' life, but it didn't protect his home.

After the shooting, someone smashed in his front windows. The house looks deserted now, with sheets of plywood nailed over the windows and front door.
Ever since the shooting, people have stopped at the nearby memorial to scrawl messages honoring Buford.
"God gave me a new angel man . . . Why Da Good Die Young . . . I'll see you in eternity . . . You are with the Lord and we happy for that."

Sounds like a fun place to live.... [rolleyes] A dump where parts of the
"community" worships violent criminals....

-Mike

uford, a freshman at John F. Kennedy High School, was still on probation. Last year he committed an aggravated robbery.

He probably shouldn't have been out on the streets, nice justice system over there! Good to see that the ccw laws there had a positive result, and that the victim is ok.

I'm not sure if it's an Ohio law or a Columbus law but my step brother (lives in Columbus) was telling me that if you commit a felony you are responsible for everything that happens while you are commiting the felony. 2 thugs had broken into a home in Columbus (a few years ago), one of the residents shot and killed thug A, thug B (who I think was outside acting as a lookout) got away and was caught by police a few blocks away and charged with the murder of Thug A... Now that's justice.

I hope Buford's accomplice sees a similar fate.

My simpathies go to the lawful gun owner who has had his home vandalized and probably has to clean the blood off his pourch.

This is a standard criminal law for most, if not all, states. It is called felony murder. If you commit one of five felonies (Robbery, Arson, Rape, and two I cannot remember), and someone dies, you are guilty of felony murder. It even applies if the police kill one of your accomplices during the crime.

correct, most states have that law.

I'd love to see some pro gun advocates and the city give the homeowner an award for bravery and aiding in cleaning up the trash on the city streets.

I love how the cousin believes that a man defending his property and life should be punished. Its this Gangsta life style that all these kids believe in. i mean look at the its New hampshires fault thread the mother even knowing her son has a lengthy criminal record still thinks he is a good boy and can nothing wrong. go to any school and look at the kids coming out to go home and you will see tons of white guys walking out with pants down to there ankles hats slanted to the side wearing what they think is bling and basketball jersey or "wife beater" t-shirts.

Plus you stupid cousin pulled a gun on some one and you think its unfair that the other guy is allowed to pull one on your cousin.

Back
Top Bottom