• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Man Treated After Shooting To Test Bullet-Resistant Vest

I guess it didn't perform as intended:

Cheer up; the article serves as a cautionary tale to others -
on how newspapers are a dying medium. To wit:

Absolutely nothing in that MyJournalCourier story
tells you where the hell the news is from.

The only scraps of geographic data on the entire page are:
  • ... an unidentified man received treatment Saturday at Passavant Area Hospital.
  • Cass County Sheriff Devron Ohrn said the man told police that he and family members, ... were trying out bulletproof vests ...
  • Samantha McDaniel-Ogletree has been a reporter for the Journal-Courier since May 2014. She joined the staff after graduating from Eastern Illinois University. The Cahokia native worked with her school newspaper in various editor roles.
It's like Ned Flanders taking Bart to the top of a hill,
and pointing out the four states you can see from Springfield -
Ohio, Nevada, Maine, and Kentucky.

Many broadcast TV station web sites have mastheads that are just as useless.

If I keep my wits about me,
I'm gonna depress Howie (and Grace) with that observation
at today's remote. As ink-stained wretches, they'll see the truth in it.

the fun ones are people who test ballistic vests against knives.

A manufacturer of bulletproof vests conceded in U.S. District Court Wednesday that he had heard reports his product wasn't knife-proof but that he didn't warn customers.
Larry Rosen of Spring Valley, N.Y., was recalled to the witness chair in his own defense against a $5 million suit brought by the widow of an Oklahoma City man who died of stab wounds while demonstrating one of the vests.
Rosen said he knew of a television tape produced by the DuPont Co. declaring the protective material could be penetrated by "an icepick or pointed object."
He said he also learned of a laboratory test showing a knife would penetrate the material, especially if a downward stabbing motion were used.

Mark Hammons, attorney for plaintiff Marilyn Wagstaff, questioned Rosen closely about that point during the interrogation in Oklahoma City.
Rosen said the label in the soft body-armor vests he manufactured gave information only about the types of bullets it would deflect.
He said he didn't include a warning about the possibility of its being punctured with a knife because none of his police customers had requested the warning be written on the label.
However, literature he distributed about the vests stated that they offered protection against knives, he said. But the defendant said the literature was written before he received the information from DuPont, manfacturer of the protective material.

https://www.oklahoman.com/article/5...nsylvania-inquiry-suits-for-nearly-39-million

jfc even if these vests DO stop the bullet, you're still getting hit with how many foot-pounds of energy that are all coming to a screeching halt against your ribcage. Even 9mm is ~350 ft/lb. Were they testing rifles??

We were teaching a 9mm round feels like getting hit by a mid 90 mph fastball even through armor.

We did 'failure' drills where we put 6 rounds as fast as possible center mass. The thinking is even with armor on, getting hit with 6 90 mph fastballs will take the breath out of the person. The article doesn't say he had a penetrating wound that I saw. Could have easily been a broken rib.

Back
Top Bottom