• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Man Shoots Polar Bear Attacking His Friend

Sebastian Plur Nilssen was attacked last week as he slept in a two-man tent with Ludvig Fjeld on the arctic archipelago of Svalbard.

The pair were in the middle of their two-month-long bid to become the first team ever to paddle 1,250 miles around the island chain, which constitutes the northernmost part of Norway.

Despite protecting their tent with a trip-wire hooked to a early warning flare, Mr Nilssen woke face-to-face with the biggest land predator on Earth.

The 23-year-old was dragged screaming from the tent, with his head clamped in the animal's jaws.

>snip<

"I was about 20 or 25 metres [22 to 27 yards] from the bear and it had Sebastian in its mouth, I was very worried I did not want to hit Sebastian as well," said Mr Fjeld. "That would have been a really bad day for him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...lar-bear-when-partner-shoots-animal-dead.html

Damn - no mention of the rifle model or caliber (if it was a rifle at all - the reporter called it the "other rifle" after mentioning that the bear broke the shotgun). Let the games begin...

Air rifle count? Lol seriously that is one scary story. I hope it wasn't this fellow:

lg_polar_bear.jpg

"I was about 20 or 25 metres [22 to 27 yards] from the bear and it had Sebastian in its mouth, I was very worried I did not want to hit Sebastian as well," said Mr Fjeld. "That would have been a really bad day for him.

He says it like it would have been an OK day if the only problem was his head was clamped in a polar bear's jaws. [laugh]

Judging from the pic doesn't look like it was a frontal head shot. There is a spot on the top of the head but doesnt appear to be an entrance wound. There is quite a bit of blood on the bear's right arm so maybe most of the damage was caused by a Center Mass shot. I used to know an avid Norwegian hunter who would travel Europe just to hunt. I put my $$ on a large bore rifle. Maybe it was a Krag?

I bet the firearm was one of those fancy FN Five-Seven with magical Bearz Killaz caps in tha clip.

That pic sequence is the stuff of nightmares. Nearly soiled my armor just looking at it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom