• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Man shoots bear that walked onto his deck

NES Member
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=35896

For the second time in a month, an East Tennessean had a conflict with a bear.

A Wears Valley man shot a bear that ended up on his deck looking for food.

"The bear was about as high as this banisters here," Vernon Brackett said pointing at the three foot high object.

The bear weighed in at 375 pounds. Previous owners said a bear had been in the area for the last two or three years, turning over dumpsters and getting in people's garbage. Brackett had never seen the bear before that early evening in late June.

"I came to this window right here and saw the bear eating bird seed," he said, adding that the bear had earlier come up to the door and made eye contact with his wife.

Brackett has hunted in the past and grabbed his rifle. Stepping outside, he saw the bear turn around and face him before firing a single shot.

"I don't know if he's going to charge me or not, but under those circumstance it certainly crosses your mind," Brackett said.

The incident happened in late June. July 1, a bear swatted at a Sevier County man at the Club Chalet near Gatlinburg after his dog chased the bear's two cubs. T.W.R.A. crews shot the bear and continue to look for it after she ran off into the woods.

The July incident caused a flood of E-mails to the newsroom from people upset over the treatment of bears in such situation.

"How can she be considered dangerous?" one E-mailer asked. "I'm sure if she really wanted to hurt this man, she would have."

Another E-mailer chimed in, "A black mother bear acting to protect her cubs shouldn't be killed for a tourist."

"WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG," another man exclaimed.

Wildlife experts said if a bear gets the taste of human blood, it has the potential to make them more aggressive. As a result, putting the bear down is that much more necessary they say, regardless of how or why the altercation happened.

Brackett said he approves of how the T.W.R.A has handled his situation and the one in Gatlinburg, but admits people need to alter their behavior if moving to an area where bears are known to be.

"We're encroaching on their environment," he said. "We are the cause of the problem for these bears."

Wildlife experts estimate the black bear population is up at least 10% over the last 20 years.

They say people spotting a black bear should never run or take their eyes off the bear. They recommend just backing away slowly and making loud noises to scare the bear away. As a last resort, experts say drop belongings and food.

They say it is also a good idea to not leave garbage or any kind of food out because it can attract bears. Black bears are more apt to react if they feel their food or cubs are being threatened.

Dan Farkas , Reporter
Last updated: 7/12/2006 11:22:28 AM

They say people spotting a black bear should never run or take their eyes off the bear. They recommend just backing away slowly and making loud noises to scare the bear away. As a last resort, experts say drop belongings and food.
Sort of like: BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! Ka-ching!

I'd guess that a full clip of 30-06 ought to discourage most bears...

So that steak in my pocket will finally come in handy! [rolleyes]

Wildlife experts said if a bear gets the taste of human blood, it has the potential to make them more aggressive.

Ya think ? [thinking]

For anyone who says they should trap them instead of shooting them, just re-locate the bears to their back yards and then see if their opinion changes.[smile]

It's been said that to discourage grizzly bears (doesn't work for black bears) a person should put little bells on their shoe laces.

And the way to tell if you're in grizzly rather than black bear country, is to look for the little bells in the bear's droppings.

Arioch said:
It's been said that to discourage grizzly bears (doesn't work for black bears) a person should put little bells on their shoe laces.

And the way to tell if you're in grizzly rather than black bear country, is to look for the little bells in the bear's droppings.

[rofl] [laugh2] [rofl] [laugh2] [rofl] [laugh2]

I grew up in West Milford NJ, extremely high black bear population. Problem bears were being shipped in from around the state and dropped off in my town.

With that said, I really think this guy should move out of the area if he's so scared, bears ussually aren't a problem if you use a lil common sense, and keep food away from the bears. Keep the bird feeders high and on sturdy poles next time and you'll be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom