• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Man killed by a ricocheting bullet during target practice

Gun users at target range react to accidental fatal shooting

LAS VEGAS (KSNV My News 3) – A man was killed by a ricocheting bullet during target practice in the desert Sunday night.

The accident is raising questions about the safety of the popular shooting spot on Bureau of Land Management property off U.S. Highway 95 and Corn Creek Road.

Gun enthusiasts use the site for target practice. The bullet casings and used targets show how busy it becomes. "It's a little bit more freedom here,” says Mike DeGrazio. He says people using the site may not be as safe as they would at a indoor range because no one is overseeing it.

DeGrazo is a gun expert with the Second Amendment Gun Shop in Las Vegas. He comes to this shooting spot frequently and sometimes sees carelessness.

Just after midnight Sunday, police say David Ferreira, 29, died after firing a shot that ricocheted. The bullet hit him in the chest. His friends tried to revive him. "It could've been he shot off a rock,” DeGrazo suggests. “He was shooting a rock when you hit."

Police ruled Ferreira’s death an accident. "Accidents do happen,” DeGrazo says. “It's just like in cars. You can get in your car driving for 20 years and you don't expect to get in an accident."

Jim Rowley loves shooting his guns at this spot. He’s sorry for the victim, but hope it doesn’t change use of the land.

"I'm sorry to hear about the incident absolutely uncalled for, but I'm hoping the rest of us don't have to pay for it," Rowley says.

http://www.mynews3.com/mostpopular/...act-to-accidental/r2L0aql4XEap_gj1-5iwSA.cspx

"Accidents do happen,” DeGrazo says. “It's just like in cars. You can get in your car driving for 20 years and you don't expect to get in an accident."

Jim Rowley loves shooting his guns at this spot. He’s sorry for the victim, but hope it doesn’t change use of the land.

I have to agree with the above. Life is dangerous. That is just how it is.

Not a lot of info. I've been hit by plenty of spall shooting steel at close range and some rock chips. I'm having a hard time imagining a common caliber coming back with enough force to kill you off a rock. I've seen videos of .50 causing shrapnel to come back at the shooter, but that's a pretty high energy round.

I'd like to here some more detail on this case. I'm feeling a bit dubious about it.

I've seen videos of .50 causing shrapnel to come back at the shooter, but that's a pretty high energy round.
One of the guys at work dropped off some 3/4" plate steel and asked me to drill a few .50" holes, but I've been too chicken because of this issue.

The news video is a little over two minutes. 95% is about how he was a sommelier and only a brief mention of how the accident happened. Either wine is really really important out there and guns are routine enough to not be the gist of the story, or they are really laid back about guns (just another day at the shop etc). Life goes on.

Just after midnight. Is that when he was pronounced dead at the hospital later or were they shooting blindly at night?

Not a lot of info. I've been hit by plenty of spall shooting steel at close range and some rock chips. I'm having a hard time imagining a common caliber coming back with enough force to kill you off a rock. I've seen videos of .50 causing shrapnel to come back at the shooter, but that's a pretty high energy round.

I'd like to here some more detail on this case. I'm feeling a bit dubious about it.
And it happened around midnight! I bet some drinking was involved.

shit happens, had a .38 come straight back from 20 foot shot at a steel drum. right at center mass, more scared than hurt. [shocked]

One of his buddies shooting him accidentally and then coming up with a story about a ricochet to cover up?

If you have never shot tracers at night, you would be amazed at where the rounds go after they strike something down range. They appear to almost take 90 degree turns. They go left, right and almost straight up.

Last edited:
I bullet loosed a lot of energy from a ricochet coming back at you. After all, it has to hit the target, compress it's energy and then rebound back with enough energy left to penetrate.
I've seen ricochets and been hit and the worst has ever been some minor bleeding, and that's more likely caused by a sharp edge than it is the power they were hit with.

I agree, but I suppose it could just have been a freak occurrance like hitting the lottery or being struck by lightning. Sometimes your number is just up...

No information here to go on. We don't know the caliber, range, target, etc. For all we know he was trying out his buddy's .50 and aimed at a rock 100' away. I think by now we have all seen the video of the .50 round taking off the guy's ear pro. At 100 yards that round should have enough energy on a return trip to punch a hole in the chest cavity.

That being said, range safety seems to be a more likely culprit.

Back
Top Bottom