• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Man Holds Guy with Knife at Gunpoint

after reading the comments, it looks like the guy was a retired cop, the one with the gun that is.

When I read the thread title I was thinking it was one of these

Back to back they faced each other.
Drew their swords and shot each other.

sort of things. I was wondering how you hold someone at gunpoint with a knife. Sort of oddly phrased. [wink]

Apparently nobody was arrested. The guy proned out was the victim of a larceny of a bicycle. He found it, and confronted the guy on his bike. The guy with the gun got involved and the poor sap gets a gun drawn on him for trying to get his bike back (and showing a knife).

It needs to be said, hat tip to the cops there. Calm, professional and handled the situatioon well.

A retired cop IS a citizen. So are active duty cops.

I heard a fire chief the other day in a news clip talking about civilians need to stay out of their way when fighting a fire. Cops, fire, etc think they are not civilians. So many .gov employees think they are some special class.

And you should fix the title, he wasnt a citizen, he was a retired cop.

are you a cop or something?

All cops, active or retired are citizens. You suggest they are above us. Here is a hint: they work for us, not the other way around. IT is time we get that balance back.

- - - Updated - - -

I heard a fire chief the other day in a news clip talking about civilians need to stay out of their way when fighting a fire. Cops, fire, etc think they are not civilians. So many .gov employees think they are some special class.

Thats the kind of stuff that annoys me to no end.

No, a retired cop still gets recognized by other cops as "one of their own". So no, retirees aren't civilians.
If this was a regular civilian, we'd be reading a different story...

Exactly...

All cops, active or retired are citizens. You suggest they are above us. Here is a hint: they work for us, not.

No, he just wants the accounting of the event to be realistic and representative of what happened, I don't think its some kind of attempt at lionizing cops. Lets face facts they get different treatment, whether anyone here likes it or not.

-Mike

So many .gov employees think they are some special class.
Cops are a special class, though the term "civilian" to mean non-cop is thought by many to be technically inaccurate.

I'm not saying I agree with the "special class" thing, just acknowledging that such is the reality we live in.

Last edited:
On the topic of "police vs. civilian," I quote #7 of Robert Peel's "Nine Principles of Policing", 1829, as issued to every new officer in London's Metropolitan Police.

"To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence."

That's the way it's supposed to be, anyway.

The way I see it, unless you're subject to the UCMJ, you're a civilian. Are police subject to the UCMJ? (rhetorical question)

[IMG said:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/images/misc/quote_icon.png[/IMG] Originally Posted by Wrench75
You guys forgot one. It's,

Shot
Told to drop the weapon
Told to stop resisting
Getting a good thrashing
Cuffed
His dog is shot

Meanwhile the guy with the knife gets a commendation for stopping a guy with an evil gun
then gets his dog shot too.

Fify fify

All cops, active or retired are citizens. You suggest they are above us. Here is a hint: they work for us, not the other way around. IT is time we get that balance back.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats the kind of stuff that annoys me to no end.
My point being if this was a person who never served as a leo, five cops would have drawn down on him as the cars stopped. Instead they saunter over to the guy prone while he walks back to his car.

Double standard rearing its ugly head again and very much not the poster child of joe average stopping and attack and being treated appropiately by the police.

MGL Chapter 140, section 131M, has read:

"Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement."

If retired cops were citizens, wouldn't citizen's law apply to them, and not let them be exempt...like cops?

Back
Top Bottom