Man Facing Federal Gun Charges After Court Ordered Returned Weapons

Reptile

NES Member
A Mississippi man who spent time in a mental hospital and had his firearms taken away for “acting erratically” is now facing federal gun charges after a court order returned the weapons.

In March 2017, Steven Drew Montana was working as a welder for Ingalls Shipbuilding when he told an NCIS officer he thought someone was stealing from the property.

The officer thought Montana was experiencing “mental issues” and had him sent to a hospital where an AK-47 and Glock pistol were found in his car.

Police seized the weapons and Montana was sentenced to 10 days in a state hospital because guns are prohibited at Ingalls.

Man Facing Federal Gun Charges After Court Order Returned Weapons

Garbage report is garbage, sounds like the guy's elevator didn't go to the top but there's a lot of holes in the story with details missing.

-Mike

The guy sounds like he is a few cards short of a full deck and I wouldn't want him having firearms however the charges seem bogus. A judge signed for him to get the weapons back and the cops gave them to him.

Last edited:
The guy sounds like he is a few cards short of a full deck and I wouldn't want him having firearms however the charges seem bogus. A judge signed for him to get the weapons back and the cops gave them to him.

Or he had a transient issue (dehydration? bad wife? massive hangover?) and ran into a cop on the wrong day. Maybe he is a nut, but the hospital, the judge that ordered the return of his firearms and the pd obviously didn't think so, or he'd still be at the hospital.

Or he had a transient issue (dehydration? bad wife? massive hangover?) and ran into a cop on the wrong day. Maybe he is a nut, but the hospital, the judge that ordered the return of his firearms and the pd obviously didn't think so, or he'd still be at the hospital.

This right here. This is why mental health reporting to NICS is such a dangerous and slippery slope.

I think the guy is probably nuttier than squirrel turds but IMO the system set him up for abuse here... all because some pricks want to pad their conviction rate...

Assuming this guy does have some sort of mental issue that should preclude him from having guns, criminally charging him after a court ruled he can have them back is utterly asinine, oppressive, and simply f***ed up. What possible reason do they have for not just...taking the guns again?

The original order, and the laws of Mississippi, will be what determine the outcome.

I've never heard of anyone, anywhere, being "committed" but released after 10 days without any medication ordered. It sounds more like he was held for a psych study, and not actually "adjudicated mentally defective", which is the federal disqualifier.

The key will be if the 10 days was for "evaluation" or "treatment". Evaluation commitments don't trigger PP status.

Back
Top Bottom