• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Man charged with slingshot possession

When officers searched the vehicle they found the two slingshots -- one of which was powerful wrist-braced slingshot -- which are illegal in New York, Johnson said.
"I think if they outlawed (slingshots) they're probably pretty dangerous weapons," Johnson said. "It's almost like carrying a gun."

Can I get one in 9mm? I also want 3 mags and a flash suppressor. ARE THESE IDIOTS FREAKIN' SERIOUS?[laugh]

we use to make our own as kids, finding the perfect Y shaped branch to cut etc..good memories..we use to call the ones with the wrist support "wrist rockets" and they can def put an eye out haha

we use to make our own as kids, finding the perfect Y shaped branch to cut etc..good memories..we use to call the ones with the wrist support "wrist rockets" and they can def put an eye out haha

You are so right! We made them all the time but getting that "mega" elastic was a bitch. Now they use surgical tubing and They really fly. Probably not too shabby as a last minute survival aid.

This story is full of FAIL.

An 18-year-old Brewster man was charged last week with weapons possession after police found two slingshots in a car in which he was riding, said Carmel police Chief Michael Johnson said Friday.

The suspect, whose name was not released because he could be given youthful offender status, was the passenger in a car that police say made an illegal left turn onto Route 6 from Church Street.

When officers searched the vehicle they found the two slingshots -- one of which was powerful wrist-braced slingshot -- which are illegal in New York,

He's 18 and they won't release his name "because he could be given youthful offender status". ????
What the hell does that mean ???
IIRC, doesn't being 18 make you an adult in the eyes of the law ????
You can vote, join the military, and be tried as an adult, but you can't drink or buy a handgun.

He was the passenger in the car, but the driver was not arrested too ????
Wasn't the driver also in possession of the slingshots the same as the passenger was ???

Since when is a minor traffic violation grounds for a vehicle search by the police ????

Oh, this was in New York, nevermind, the constitution doesn't apply there.

[sad2]

Wrist braced slingshots have been illegal in NY for over 30 years(regular ones were legal.) Was always bummed as a kid that I couldn't get a wrist rocket. 20 years ago I knew a kid that got his car searched he had a 10/22 and a wrist rocket in the trunk and he got charged for the slingshot, rifle was legal. Retarded, but not new.

Wrist braced slingshots have been illegal in NY for over 30 years(regular ones were legal.) Was always bummed as a kid that I couldn't get a wrist rocket. 20 years ago I knew a kid that got his car searched he had a 10/22 and a wrist rocket in the trunk and he got charged for the slingshot, rifle was legal. Retarded, but not new.

Are Zoobows illegal in NY or is that just a Mass thing ????

Dear Lord that's retarded. Wait, are slingshots banned in MA too?

I have no idea, I just know that growing up every other friend of mine had one. I had one on loan for years, too... caused some mayhem with acorns, marbles, things that looked like ball bearings... but by far the best were egg sinkers. Those things made this weird ass noise when they flew through the air, and unless you knew/saw what you hit, they just kept going and going and going... [laugh]

-Mike

Old school "wrist rocket"

Growing up in upstate NY in the 70's we all had Wrist Rockets. Bought them at the Woolworth's in Ithaca. Aluminum frame with rubber tubing and a leather pocket. At full draw it would anchor under your cheek like a bow. Deadly for pigeons in the barn and all sorts of critters. I knew they were banned in MA but not in NY......what was I thinking...[frown]

I have no idea, I just know that growing up every other friend of mine had one. I had one on loan for years, too... caused some mayhem with acorns, marbles, things that looked like ball bearings... but by far the best were egg sinkers. Those things made this weird ass noise when they flew through the air, and unless you knew/saw what you hit, they just kept going and going and going... [laugh]

-Mike

You may possibly face arrest. The statute of limitations is 40 years for the newly imposed ban on lead fishing weights. It is also retroactive. Sorry

You may possibly face arrest. The statute of limitations is 40 years for the newly imposed ban on lead fishing weights. It is also retroactive. Sorry

Yeah I was thinking that, I'm going to hell now because I used to have a collection of lead sinkers in my youth... [rofl]

-Mike

wrist rocket bro, where you been?

EDIT: I see this has been covered, lol. Are they actually illegal in MA or just illegal to sell?

To the very best of my knowledge, they are legal to own, but not to sell. I bought my son's in New Hampshire. Definately fun to try to whack chipmunks with one.

When some of the other kids I grew up with had Splatmasters, my parents couldn't afford one for me, so I had a wrist rocket. The other kids would be running around making noise with their guns, I'd hide in a tree and hit them with paintballs. Wrist rocket was much more silent lol

I lived in NY since moving here last year... I had no idea they were illegal. I still don't completely believe it... but I don't feel like searching through the NY laws right now.
I definitely recall seeing them sold at some general stores probably not even 10 years ago. Maybe upstate NY just didn't give a shit.

I'm also fairly certain they are not illegal to posses in MA. I think they are just illegal to carry or manufacture and sell in MA.

Relevant MA laws:
http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12
http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10
269.10 actually does not say its illegal to carry a slingshot, just a slung shot - which is a different thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom