Man charged in attleboro for improper storage

He told them the location of the firearm, which was found in the drop ceiling of an office, Heagney said.

WTF? Why would somebody do that? Our ceilings at work are way to high to reach without a ladder. [thinking][rolleyes]

Last edited:
This sounds eerily similar to Michael McDermott's preparation work before he shot up the office (Edgewater Tech in Wakefield MA). I'm not drawing any conclusions, but his co-workers might have dodged a bad one here.

regardless of intent, how the hell are people being charged with storage violations, especially after mcdonald... oh, wait.. i forgot, massachusetts liberal [bs1] is morally superior to 5 of the 9 SCOTUS justices

Maybe if you actually read Heller or McDonald, you'd understand. McDonald never touches on the subject of storage laws, while Heller overturned the DC law that prohibited taking a gun out of storage even if threatened by an intruder. Neither one addresses carry, concealed or otherwise, either. Eventually we'll get to carry, but I doubt any court will ever decide that you have a constitutionally protected right to leave guns just lying around.

Ken

I fully support the right of people to carry. I also believe that people shouldn't need a piece of paper from their government to do so. I would also practice jury nullification of someone simply charged with carrying without a license.

That being said, this guy is either mentally unstable or just plain reckless. It's not like he had a brain fart and accidentally left a firearm in his car or on his living room table. He deliberately brought a firearm to his workplace and concealed it in the ceiling where it was accessible by anyone. I'd like to hear his reasoning behind this action. I can't think of a rational reason for his actions.

If only he used a trigger lock or cable lock

If he had done that, it would have been a real scavenger hunt trying to come up with something with which to charge him unless he had acted in a threatening manner.

I don't think you would likely get jury nullification on this one. And I also don't think this is necessarily the best case to test the Constitutionality of the safe-storage law.

I'm guessing we wouldn't get jury nullification on much here in MA, sad to say.

I'm guessing we wouldn't get jury nullification on much here in MA, sad to say.

Jury nullification is rare, since

- The judges bascially lie to the jury - telling them they "must" decide only if the defendant did what (s)he is accused of, and may not consider any possible penalty. Judges will not tell the jury that no punishment or sanction may be imposed on a jury that finds a defendant not-guilty, no matter what the reason or how obious the guilt.

- Any defense attorney who attempts to explain nullification to the jury may expect sanctions from the court.

So, all that is needed a juror who already knows about Jury Nullification and can effectively explain it to the jury - possibly by sending the judge a note asking "may any penalty be imposed on the jury if we acquit even if we know the defendant is guilty?"

Maybe if you actually read Heller or McDonald, you'd understand. McDonald never touches on the subject of storage laws, while Heller overturned the DC law that prohibited taking a gun out of storage even if threatened by an intruder.

But the intent of Heller is clear, to allow ready self defense in the home.

If he had done that, it would have been a real scavenger hunt trying to come up with something with which to charge him unless he had acted in a threatening manner.

Not necessarily. The safe storage statute is frequently abused and we see people charged with violations who are in fact meeting the statutory requirement.

Brandon Lojko was charged and convicted of improper storage for having a handgun in a locked box that itself could be stolen. Fortunately, the conviction was overturned on appeal.

http://www.socialaw.com/slip.htm?cid=19943&sid=119

NES discussion here

Back
Top Bottom