• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Man arrested trying to ride T with loaded gun

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/MI4206/

BOSTON -- A local man was arrested Friday night when he tried to ride the T with a loaded handgun.

MBTA police said they approached Cristobal Garcia when he didn't pay his fare at the Ashmont T Station.

Officers were issuing Garcia a fare violation when they found the gun.

Garcia was charged with unlawful carrying of a firearm and fare evasion.

For Pete's sake, if your going to carry illegally, pay your damn fare. For that matter, pay your fare anyway since they might pull your LTC.

Back several years ago I used to respond to a lot of medical calls at T police HQ. I'd tell the officers that I felt bad that they had to deal with the worse criminals in the city. They'd be perplexed and ask my what I meant. My reply was that they got the people that were too stupid to steal a car and thought that jumping a turnstile was a huge caper. They always laughed, but they knew it was true.

The absolutely most stupid criminals I've ever dealt with were at that police station. I don't think that I ever went there that I wasn't threatened with a law suit or told that the nitwit had an uncle that was high up in the mob and would have me taken care of.

The MBTA cops are the dumbest of the dumb, trust me.

IF they bother to respond to a north side call, expect the response time to be 30 plus minutes.

How stupid does a cop have to be not to do a safety pat down of a person they are interacting with ON A CRIMINAL MATTER, to wit fare evasion. And the T wants inspectors to write fare evasion tickets.. ya right. Remember the Inspectors used to be sworn "Street & Railway Police Officers" and the Instructors had gold badges because they in theory supervised the inspectors. Long story short the State PD who swore them in as "specials" demanded all the warrants of appointment back and all badges turned in. But the T WANTS THEM TO ISSUE TICKETS FOR FARE EVASION!

I have 20 years of stories about how incompetent the T cops are.

p.s. trying to get people to pay their fare only gets you suspended for a rule 4 "courtesy" violation.

Last edited:
I don't think he had an LTC

Police stop teen with gun at T station
A teenager caught trying to sneak through a turnstile at Ashmont Station in Dorchester was arrested and charged with unlawful carrying of a firearm and unlawful possession of a dangerous weapon after officers found a loaded pistol on him, the MBTA said yesterday. Cristobal Garcia, 19, of Roxbury, was stopped by MBTA police officers Andrew Galonzka and Amanda Barouk about 8 p.m. Friday after they saw him follow another person through the fare gates when his CharlieCard was not read successfully, said T spokesman Joe Pesaturo. He said Galonzka asked Garcia whether he was carrying any weapons and Garcia admitted to carrying a knife. The officers then found a black semiautomatic handgun, loaded with nine rounds of ammunition, tucked in his waistband in a pat-down, said Pesaturo.

from the Herald....at least he didn't have a HiCap Mag!

Fare-skipping teen busted with handgun

By O’Ryan Johnson | Sunday, October 12, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Local Coverage
Following the broken-windows policing philosophy, two transit cops managed to take a loaded Glock .40 caliber gun off a man trying to board an MBTA train yesterday after spotting him skip through the turnstiles without paying.

Arrested was Cristobal Garcia, 19, of Roxbury, who was charged with carrying a large-capacity firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, unlawful possession of a dangerous weapon and fare evasion.

Transit cops on patrol in Ashmont Station spotted two men approach the turnstiles. One paid his fare and passed through the gates.

Police said in the moments after that, while the gates remained open, Garcia tapped his fare card on the reader without scanning it, put it in his pocket and raced through behind his friend.

Cops told Garcia to walk back through the gates so they could question him further. Garcia, who wore a large winter coat, partially zippered, put his hands in his pockets and walked back to the area in front of the turnstiles, where one of the cops told him to take his hands out of his pockets.

“I immediately asked Garcia to remove his hands from his pockets, to which he complied,” police wrote in their report. “I asked Garcia if he had weapons, knives or anything that could hurt me. Garcia responded, ‘Yes, I have a knife.’ ”

Cops told the teen to put his hands in the air so they could pat him down, they said. When he did, cops spotted a bulge along his waist band. The cop patting the area pulled up the teen’s shirt to reveal the black grip of the teen’s Model 22 Glock handgun, police said.

“Further inspection of the handgun revealed it to be a .40 caliber Glock 22 loaded with nine live rounds of ammunition, including one in the chamber,” police said in the report.

Garcia is expected to be arraigned tomorrow in Roxbury District Court.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1125034

Is carrying on the T illegal?

No.

Of course, the headline certainly does imply that to be the case. I guess "Man arrested for illegally carrying firearm without license" doesn't quite generate the same fear... "Oh no - a man was carrying a loaded firearm on the T! [shocked]"

[grumble]I hate the press [/grumble]

Last edited:
No.

Of course, the headline certainly does imply that to be the case. I guess "Man arrested for illegally carrying firearm without license" doesn't have quite generate the same fear... "Oh no - a man was carrying a loaded firearm on the T! [shocked]"

[grumble]I hate the press [/grumble]

I agree......It's not much of a story if it reads "Man on T caught with loaded gun and LTC was not charged and is free to go about his business"

...How stupid does a cop have to be not to do a safety pat down of a person they are interacting with ON A CRIMINAL MATTER, to wit fare evasion...

Patting someone down because you're essentially writing them a ticket? Doesn't seem a little excessive?

Police should indeed be able to pat down or check a person if they feel the person could be a danger to them, but doing that in all cases seems horribly invasive.

In this particular case, Mr. Garcia admitted to carrying a knife and the officer did check him and rightly so.

“Further inspection of the handgun revealed it to be a .40 caliber Glock 22 loaded with nine live rounds of ammunition, including one in the chamber,” police said in the report.

Including one in the chamber! <Queue sinister sounding music>

There is no prohibition...... unless you are an employee, and then it has to be authorized by the GM. Police and money room employees assigned to transport money are the only ones who can carry on the job without worry.

I'm not saying that there are not employees who may ignore the rule book though

I was riding the T one afternoon back around 1992, an older woman got on the train and sat down, 3 loudmouth kids get on sit near her, and are using every profanity in the book. Now here I am, all alone, looking like my usual self, biker attire and sunglasses.
I look at the 3 kids and tell them to have some respect for the lady. They quiet down. We get to the next station, one male gets off the train, turns around stands in the door, looks at me and reaches in his coat as if he is going to draw on me. I'm up in a heartbeat and have my .357 half way out of the holster, telling him mine is real, let's play! He screws down the platform, the doors close, I take out my keys and go open the door to the motormans compartment to go in with the driver, telling his 2 friends (one male one female) that their friend really needs to know who he is screwing with before he starts playing games as I close the door.

Last edited:
Hey, all he was doing was exercising his second amendment rights. You must feel really strongly about paying for the T---do you work for the MBTA?

Good point. Why is the guy a shitbag, is the question to be answered. I personally don't believe in licensing constitutional rights. jim42 must really have it against people who don't pay fairs. Wasn't it that Indiana Jones movie where he is on the blimp or something and throws one of the Nazi's off and the people all look at him terrified and he says something like "He didn't have his tickets..." or something of that nature? That's jim42. [smile]

Good point. Why is the guy a shitbag, is the question to be answered. I personally don't believe in licensing constitutional rights. jim42 must really have it against people who don't pay fairs. Wasn't it that Indiana Jones movie where he is on the blimp or something and throws one of the Nazi's off and the people all look at him terrified and he says something like "He didn't have his tickets..." or something of that nature? That's jim42. [smile]

Why, he's a shitbag because he has no regard for a law limiting the carrying of weapons and actually physically manifests it, instead of having no regard for it but following it anyway and whining incessantly about it...[wink]

[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom