• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Man arrested in Essex Mass for carrying shotgun

What some fail to realize here that in other parts of the country and even in another time this was normal behaviour. But to see so many current gun owners right here on this board gasp and wag fingers tells it all. If these folks are even the least bit stirred up imagine your how your rank and file moonbattery feels. Yeah not the least bit suprised this guys life is over...

Tis very true. We are more Europe than America here. It's pleasantly SHOCKING to see the feelings on guns in much of the country.

Well he should know the rules of Massachusetts if you are going to own firearms here. I think the storage charges were just BS but the others he should have been aware of. Lesson learned the hard way

Tis also true. Ignerts of the law is not an excuse.

It’s extra improper if it’s “large capacity”

See MGL Ch 140, Section 131L

Double secret capacity.

Dammit. Beat me to it. I was in traffic!

Well I said “made up crap” and I wasn’t far wrong — the fact that they actually codified it into law doesn’t make it any less made up in my book. :(

Thanks for the reference @swatgig

:emoji_tiger:
Hey,we’re first in the nation again! And only. The only state to pass storage laws.
No other state (even commiefornia) will go to this extreme to make its citizens criminals but right here!

We’re so blessed.

Last edited:
I feel for the guy, this state sucks.

So in this state are we supposed to lock up our extra killy high capacity preban magazines if they are empty? Storage laws are confusing for a reason I guess.

The Anti's only care that one more gun owner has been checked off the list in their goal of disarmament , really pathetic.

Unfortunate for him he did NOT have a hunting license nor a valid firearms license. What do you expect the police to do?
If you drive around town with no drivers license. You get a ride to jail as well.
It 's Massachusetts.....you need a license for everything!
(thought everbody knew?)

Interesting he was initially told to go home and stow the gun. Only later did the detective do some detecting. That was the guys window to get his shit together. It sounds like the police might have been giving him a chance, which he declined

This, and this.

It's like he got his warning.....but then they had to follow up with diligence, and the Popo had to cover their own asses........Not entirely unlike the 1960's to early 80's when the officer caught you and the GF drinking a beer on lovers hill....told you to drive straight home or he's telling your parents and HER parents what you were doing....These days are LONG gone.

Why not just SAY 5747 rounds?

That's like people who say "I finished in the top five." No, you finished fifth. Otherwise you'd have said you finished fourth, third, etc...

Depends. If it's NazCah or a season of fishing tourneys or something, having eight top-5 finishes means something. But the Blue Jays came in second yesterday afternoon. I'm pretty sure they aren't proud of it. Especially at 12-2. So I see your point.

Hey,we’re first in the nation again! And only. The only state to pass storage laws.
No other state (even commiefornia) will go to this extreme to make its citizens criminals but right here!

We’re so blessed.
Safety and Storage Devices
If you decide to keep a firearm in your home you must consider the issue of how to store the firearm in a safe and secure manner. California recognizes the importance of safe storage by requiring that all firearms sold in California be accompanied by a DOJ-approved firearms safety device or proof that the purchaser owns a gun safe that meets regulatory standards established by the Department. The current list of DOJ-approved firearms safety devices and the gun safe standards can be viewed by visiting http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist.

////////////////////

Transfers of firearms to persons who demonstrate ownership of a qualifying gun safe. Ownership may be demonstrated by displaying to the firearms dealer: 1) A receipt indicating purchase of, or an affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the purchaser owns a gun safe, and 2) An affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the gun safe meets the standards set forth in DOJ regulations.

Safety and Storage Devices
If you decide to keep a firearm in your home you must consider the issue of how to store the firearm in a safe and secure manner. California recognizes the importance of safe storage by requiring that all firearms sold in California be accompanied by a DOJ-approved firearms safety device or proof that the purchaser owns a gun safe that meets regulatory standards established by the Department. The current list of DOJ-approved firearms safety devices and the gun safe standards can be viewed by visiting http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist.

////////////////////

Transfers of firearms to persons who demonstrate ownership of a qualifying gun safe. Ownership may be demonstrated by displaying to the firearms dealer: 1) A receipt indicating purchase of, or an affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the purchaser owns a gun safe, and 2) An affidavit, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that the gun safe meets the standards set forth in DOJ regulations.

I don’t know what point you are trying to make, but in the land of fruits and nuts ,

Once you get your firearm home you can leave it on the kitchen table if you choose ,

And no one is coming in to arrest you for it. Only MA.has STORAGE laws, an obvious distinction from transfer point of sale laws.

Unfortunate for him he did NOT have a hunting license nor a valid firearms license. What do you expect the police to do?
If you drive around town with no drivers license. You get a ride to jail as well.

However, when they get to your house they don't take your wife's car, your son and daughters car and all the tools in the garage.

Second mistake...talking to the cops
Third mistake...allowing them in the house
Fourth mistake...telling them where the guns are

He could have not even answered the door....
And they would have returned with a warrant for search of the house.

First , I'm not sure how the hell you can get lost in what little woods there are in Essex.
You couldn't possibly walk a half hour in a straight line and not hit a road..

Second, He had a shot right at the front door to just hand them the shotgun, keep his mouth shut and call it a day.
As Ron white would say , He had the right to remain silent , just not the ability.

When the police are at your door , it's not with a plate of cookies to welcome you to the neighborhood . STFU or
Think before your cakehole is in motion.

In a perfect world they could have told the guy he needed to get himself an FID for the shotgun , he could have said thanks I'll take care of that right away and everyone leaves happy.

But this is Ma.

Well he should know the rules of Massachusetts if you are going to own firearms here. I think the storage charges were just BS but the others he should have been aware of. Lesson learned the hard way

He didn't have a license, according to the story, so he had nobody tell him the facts of Gun Life in the PRM.

This is the tricky thing about the .mil exemption from the LTC training requirement (which I do not believe should be mandatory, but bears on the story)....some day, GI Joe from another state will move here, get his LTC and get jammed up on a quirk of MGLs that they were unaware of.

I have a customer that lives on the next street over. I saw him today and said what's going on in your neighborhood. He had no idea what I was talking about. I started to tell him and he said " No shit, I saw that guy walking around with a shotgun". He said he was an older guy, kinda frumpy looking, wandering aimlessly. He said not threatening, just looked kinda lost.

He didn't have a license, according to the story, so he had nobody tell him the facts of Gun Life in the PRM.

This is the tricky thing about the .mil exemption from the LTC training requirement (which I do not believe should be mandatory, but bears on the story)....some day, GI Joe from another state will move here, get his LTC and get jammed up on a quirk of MGLs that they were unaware of.

It’s a web of laws and they did it that way for a reason. Meanwhile gang members plea out and don’t do anytime for firearms charges in Boston

What some fail to realize here that in other parts of the country and even in another time this was normal behaviour. But to see so many current gun owners right here on this board gasp and wag fingers tells it all. If these folks are even the least bit stirred up imagine your how your rank and file moonbattery feels. Yeah not the least bit suprised this guys life is over...

Who gasped or wagged fingers?

Not sure what that would do- there are metric tons of people who take BFS courses in MA who barely have any idea of the laws....

Well since you asked I would start here:

If I walked through a strange neighborhood with a shotgun on my shoulder I would fully expect to get the cops called on me. I don’t think this is the way it should be, but I actually posses eyes, ears, and a small amount of common sense, therefor I know this is how it is.

There is only one finger I am waving, and it ain’t at that poor son of a bitch. I thought I was pretty clear where my ire lies.

Are you trolling a gun forum looking for anti-gunners?

And they would have returned with a warrant for search of the house.

Maybe. The fact is he handed them his head on a silver platter. Without his consent there may be a chance of getting things tossed in court etc.

Maybe. The fact is he handed them his head on a silver platter. Without his consent there may be a chance of getting things tossed in court etc.
Agreed. I was just stating a fact.

Not sure what that would do- there are metric tons of people who take BFS courses in MA who barely have any idea of the laws....

I agree (and with Len). My point was that part of the state requiring training was that the relevant MGLs would be passed along. [rolleyes]

With the .mil exemption from classes does is sets up a Vet for failure on some storage or transportation thing. If you've spent your life in Free America, there's plenty of pitfalls of which you will be unaware.

I have a customer that lives on the next street over. I saw him today and said what's going on in your neighborhood. He had no idea what I was talking about. I started to tell him and he said " No shit, I saw that guy walking around with a shotgun". He said he was an older guy, kinda frumpy looking, wandering aimlessly. He said not threatening, just looked kinda lost.
If the guy's actually a few fries short of a Happy Meal,
maybe they're not gonna want to deal with incarcerating him...

Nothing I read in that article should be a crime and now this guy's life is basically ruined. Not a victim to be found. At least the sheep will feel safer.

Exactly what I thought when I read the article. Everything was reasonable until they charged him with a crime. A guy is walking around in the woods with a shotgun which should be perfectly legal. Someone sees a guy with a shotgun and calls the cops. Ok fine. The cops come and tell him to go home and put the shotgun away and the guy complies with their request. Again, reasonable. That is the point where the story should have ended. The guy cooperated with police. f*** this state. The exact same scenario could have played out here in Mass in 1819 and nobody would have given a single f***.

Exactly what I thought when I read the article. Everything was reasonable until they charged him with a crime. A guy is walking around in the woods with a shotgun which should be perfectly legal. Someone sees a guy with a shotgun and calls the cops. Ok fine. The cops come and tell him to go home and put the shotgun away and the guy complies with their request. Again, reasonable. That is the point where the story should have ended. The guy cooperated with police. f*** this state. The exact same scenario could have played out here in Mass in 1819 and nobody would have given a single f***.

In 1975 no one would have given a f*ck.
Then moonbats came along.

Back
Top Bottom