• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Man arrested for unlawful possession of fish sauce.

Vannarithros Ross stopped abruptly when he entered his Methuen liquor store Thursday night, staring in disbelief as his daughter stacked small piles of money on the counter with a weapon pointed in her face.

Within seconds, Ross, 52, tackled the suspect to the ground and held him tightly, he said. His son joined in the fight by hitting the man in the head with a bottle of fish sauce.

"I don't even think you should do that but you know it's a natural reaction," said Ross's son, Malin Phon, 24. "My dad is very alert at all times. I guess it's just an instinct for him."

Police were dispatched to Methuen Package Store on Lowell Street at 9:20 p.m. and arrested Douglas Brown, 47, of Lowell, at the scene, said Detective Lieutenant Michael Pappalardo. He was transported to Caritas Holy Family Hospital for treatment and police took him into custody after he was released. Brown was charged with armed robbery during his arraignment in Lawrence District Court yesterday and was ordered held on $250,000 cash bail. The weapon turned out to be a BB gun.

The drama unfolded when Ross said he had returned from a quick shopping trip with a six-pack of Mountain Dew in each hand. His son called out to him from behind the counter in their native Cambodian language, Khmer, that the man had a gun, he said. But the suspect focused his attention on the cash within reach.

"He didn't look at me so I dropped the Mountain Dew and I grabbed him," recalled Ross during a telephone interview while back at work yesterday.

Using his bare hands, Ross said he wrestled the man to the ground and sat on his back. His son said he grabbed the bottle of fish sauce near where the robber ordered him to the ground, jumped over the counter, and nearly knocked the thief unconscious with three swift blows to the head. "I just felt that I had to protect my family," Phon said.

"When I got home I said 'oh man, why me?' " Ross said. "I went home and took a shower but my hands still smelled like fish sauce."

The family had stayed at the store late to mop up blood and fish sauce and bleach the floors. Ross says the spot is now clean but the violent episode is something he will not forget.

"I couldn't sleep last night," he said. "We feel bad for the guy, but it's not the right way to do this."

Pappalardo said there did not appear to be any criminal wrongdoing on the owner's part.

"On occasion, employees or business owners will try to defend their store and their property against robbery suspects," Pappalardo said. "It's not extremely common but it happens.

"Our advice is any time anybody is the victim of an apparent robbery where there is a weapon involved is to comply as much as they can to avoid being hurt."

And don't carry fish sauce without a permit!

You know you're living in Hell when you read the title of this thread and fully expect it to reflect what really happened. Of course, the case hasn't worked its way through the DA's office yet, so saner heads may still prevail and charge these people for assaulting this poor misunderstood youth with an unlicensed bottle of nuoc mam. He was probably just asking where he could take this gun he found in the parking lot to turn it in to the police or someone, and they didn't understand English well enough to know the difference. Xin loi about that. [rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

Ken

You know you're living in Hell when you read the title of this thread and fully expect it to reflect what really happened.

Or, it could just be another mindless attempt at rabble-rousing from some mindless rabble...[rolleyes]

"Our advice is any time anybody is the victim of an apparent robbery where there is a weapon involved is to comply as much as they can to avoid being hurt."

Does this mean that if they comply and then get hurt, they can then sue the police for giving BS advice?

Personally, I will die before I comply with any low life scumbag!

Kudos to the son for doing the right thing!

Seems excessive to me. He didn't have to hit the guy, all he really had to do was to open the fish sauce and wave it under his nose. I think fish sauce is an AOW.

I don't know, Jim... from the description (the guy was complaining of his hands smelling of fish sauce), it sounds like there was a spill - I'd say that the fish sauce (nuoc mam) could be considered a WMD. Either that, or someone needs to call a HazMat team for disposal...

Back
Top Bottom