• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Man Arrested After Primers in Luggage Detonate

Guy got 6 months in Fed Prison.
Ohh, and apparently his primers contained firing pins......didnt even need a gun... maybe just a makeshift barrel[thinking]
Maybe for his glock -47

"Braham, who works as a tow truck driver, pleaded guilty in February to illegal transport of explosive and hazardous materials. He was traveling from Boston to his native Jamaica with some 1,700 bullet primers concealed in the lining of his luggage, according to court documents. A bullet primer is the bottom casing that contains gunpowder and a firing pin, but no slug on top"

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/...-man-gets-6-months-in-fla-airport-disruption/

"I just don't find that credible. Sorry," Huck said, suggesting that Braham intended to sell the primers in Jamaica.

I guess it's just not believable that someone with a reloading press would actually have use for 700 primers. This guy certainly gave a bit of extra ammo to the prosecution by attempting to conceal them.

I wonder if he will be extradited to MA after completion of his federal sentence for prosecution on the Bartley-Fox charge.

Last edited:
The important thing to take away from this is that the non-shooting public now has a better understanding of the technical aspects of small arms ammo.....[rolleyes]

It's always nice when they get their facts straight......

c24_anatomy_ammo.png

Loose primers are dangerous for one real important reason:

When in their original packages, the anvils are protected. If you have ever held either a spent primer or a live one in your hand, it's the "open" side of the primer. The other side is the cup that normally gets hit by the firing pin. The cup side is hard to hit hard enough to cause it to go off. But, the anvil side is very exposed, and easy to bump.

primer1.jpg

Not to be an idiot here but I'm not a reloader. I've personally shipped tons of ammo out the door and have received tons of ammo in the door via shipping. Yes, it was all ORM-D designated for ground. But, that being said, why would bare primers be any more "dangerous" than when they are loaded into casings? Are they that much more subject to being hit hard enough to go off out of casings? If they 'go off' then, what's to stop 'em from going off in a suitcase as part of a complete cartridge? Seems logical to me but, again, I'm not a reloader and don't buy primers. As for taking them on an airplane, properly packed (maybe this was this fella's problem) I'd think they would be just fine just as would ammunition that's totally legal to carry in your luggage (declared at the TSA counter of course).

Inquiring minds want to know.

Rome

The short answer is that, when a primer is seated in a case, the only way to compress the priming charge (which generates the heat that ignites the priming charge) is by deflecting the primer cup (such as by a firing pin), so as to compress the priming material that resides between the inside of the cup and the anvil.

When primers are loose, however, the feet of the anvils extend slightly beyond the cup. As a result, any force applied to the anvils has the potential for igniting the primers, including (at least in theory; I have no empirical data to quantify the phenomenon) an inertia event (i.e., primers moving quickly and then impacting, anvil feet first) on a non-moving object).

This reminds me of my 'friend' who dumped a tray of primers on the floor and decided to use his wife's vacuum with the spinning brush attachment to pick them up...boom.

Back
Top Bottom