Man accidentally shoots gun in showroom of northern KY gun range; no charges filed

mikeyp

NES Member
Man accidentally shoots gun in showroom of northern KY gun range; no charges filed

FLORENCE, KY (FOX19) - A man going to fire rounds at a local gun range accidentally shot his gun in the showroom with several bystanders nearby. Now some are concerned about the way the range handled the incident.

Chance Smith decided to stop by Shoot Point Blank on Monday in Florence to celebrate his 20th birthday. After he paid, he shopped around the showroom waiting for his turn on the range. That’s when he says he got a startling surprise.

“I was asking the older gentleman how much 556 ammo was and we hear a firearm go off. It clearly was not in the range so everyone put their hands over their ears,” said Smith.

Smith says he was near the gun case when he saw the man with the pistol accidentally fire a shot.

“I didn’t know what was going on. I looked up and I seen him put his hands up. The general manager asked him how it happened and he said he was trying to lock the slide back and his finger slipped and hit the trigger,” said Smith.

According to Florence police the man accidentally shot at a metal table or a similar object nearby and the bullet went into the floor.

He'd have been crucified in MA.

See the difference between a free state and a police state?

The guy needs some training for sure, but in MA he'd still be in lock up, lose his LTC, have to pay lawyers fees, and become a PP for life.

during my safety course the instructor gets done telling use all guns are loaded always clear a gun don't point at anyone, then grabs a gun off the shelf never clears it and sweeps the room.

"Gets done" and "grabs"? Do you mean this is something he does as a standard part of his class every time?

He'd have been crucified in MA.

See the difference between a free state and a police state?

The guy needs some training for sure, but in MA he'd still be in lock up, lose his LTC, have to pay lawyers fees, and become a PP for life.

As they should be. It’s like not giving someone a ticket when they get into an accident that is clearly their fault. There should be severe consequences for being an idiot. Why was he playing with a loaded weapon in public anyways?

Also believe if you are in an at fault fatal accident you should 100% go to jail for manslaughter. Do not care the reason, drugs, alcohol, texting, being a bad driver, being old and on prescription drugs, didn’t keep up with your automotive maintenance, etc. You are responsible for yourself and if you are reckless you should pay. If you are a bad driver or on any prescription drugs you should be taking the bus period.

As they should be. It’s like not giving someone a ticket when they get into an accident that is clearly their fault. There should be severe consequences for being an idiot. Why was he playing with a loaded weapon in public anyways?

Also believe if you are in an at fault fatal accident you should 100% go to jail for manslaughter. Do not care the reason, drugs, alcohol, texting, being a bad driver, being old and on prescription drugs, didn’t keep up with your automotive maintenance, etc. You are responsible for yourself and if you are reckless you should pay. If you are a bad driver or on any prescription drugs you should be taking the bus period.
:rolleyes:. Strip his rights away for life for an accident where no one was hurt. Apologies if my sarcasm meter is faulty.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:. Strip his rights away for life for an accident where no one was hurt. Apologies if my sarcasm meter faulty.

It’s the being an idiot part that matters. It’s just luck that no one was hurt. What’s the difference between the vandalism on the table and floor or murder? Blind luck. No forgiveness for being an idiot. But I am probably in the minority in believing that being an idiot is one of the worst crimes. Like if he intentionally shot the table I’m more OK with that than accidentally doing it. People who do socially unacceptable things intentionally can be rehabilitated and trained not to do it. Idiots can not control what they do and therefor there is no hope of rehabilitation. Particularly if there are no consistencies for being an idiot and somehow an “accident” is more forgivable than an “intentional” act.

I thought it was common courtesy not to handle a loaded firearm in a gun shop. It's sort of rude to remove a handgun from a holster, you know? Should be done in private IMO, or at least, really carefully. Don't be that guy.

It’s the being an idiot part that matters. It’s just luck that no one was hurt. What’s the difference between the vandalism on the table and floor or murder? Blind luck. No forgiveness for being an idiot. But I am probably in the minority in believing that being an idiot is one of the worst crimes. Like if he intentionally shot the table I’m more OK with that than accidentally doing it. People who do socially unacceptable things intentionally can be rehabilitated and trained not to do it. Idiots can not control what they do and therefor there is no hope of rehabilitation. Particularly if there are no consistencies for being an idiot and somehow an “accident” is more forgivable than an “intentional” act.

Geez there's no difference between an accident (vandalism includes intent which is obviously not the case here) and murder? MURDER? Really? According to you if he had intentionally shot the table then it WOULD be vandalism and apparently you would be "more ok" with it. What an interesting line of reasoning.

Don’t be so fast to strip your fellow Americans of their rights. And The difference is called intent. And your definition of idiot is different than others. Believe me if the world follows you around long enough in someone’s eyes you’re an idiot. No ones hurt. It’s called an accident, move on.

Last edited:
To call for the dude’s crucifixion in a situation like this is to concede that guns are some monumentally evil and dangerous tool that deserves its own extra special set of punishments, and that the right to have access to them must be stripped at the first opportunity. Basically, rejecting the notion that the right to being armed is a natural or even constitutional right that deserves extra protection. In other words, it’s the anti viewpoint.

Should a guy who accidentally puts his car in drive instead of reverse in a parking space and causes very minor damage to a parking signpost be criminally charged?

The problem is that, by definition, half of the people in the world are of below average intelligence. If you are going to start criminalizing stupidity, you are going to need a lot more prisons.

i just wanted to make a comment...over the many years i've been involved with firearms, coming up on 50 years, i've seen many people with guns where i just shake my head and say to myself this person really shouldn't have or be near a gun. almost all my observations come from watching unsafe techniques shooting or handling at some range. i'm surprised more people don't die at shooting facilities than the few who do now. i know part of the answer is luck and not finely honed handling skills.

Not quite on the last part. It's only a misdemeanor with 3mo max for "occupied building". In practical terms the guy would probably lose his ltc for some period and suck for a cwof. Jail would be a stretch unless someone got hurt. The laws here are bad enough without making stuff up....

I thought it was common courtesy not to handle a loaded firearm in a gun shop. It's sort of rude to remove a handgun from a holster, you know? Should be done in private IMO, or at least, really carefully. Don't be that guy.

Agreed. The very few times that I've taken a firearm out in a gun shop it's been to subsequently hand it to an employee for one reason or another. In which case, it comes out slowly, the mag gets dropped, the chamber gets cleared, and the gun is handed over while slide-locked. All done very slowly. Every gun shop that I've ever been in has armed employees, and if they don't know me, and see a gun being drawn - that's cause for alarm.

Not quite on the last part. It's only a misdemeanor with 3mo max for "occupied building". In practical terms the guy would probably lose his ltc for some period and suck for a cwof. Jail would be a stretch unless someone got hurt. The laws here are bad enough without making stuff up....

I meant the initial lockup (jail, whether inside a police station or county lockup), given the time between the incident happening and the posting of it here.

Either way, you are correct, the laws and more so the attitude towards everything guns SUCKS in Massachusetts.......thats why I moved out at first opportunity and will never return, not even for family funerals.

SH*T HAPPENS

Feb 2009 Pelham NH

PELHAM — An employee at a local gun shop was injured when a gun discharged in the store yesterday.

The unidentified male employee at Affordable Firearms on Bridge Street lost part of a finger while pulling the slide back on a .45-caliber handgun that then went off, police said.

He was injured by the slide, not the bullet, police said. The employee drove himself to the hospital before police arrived about 1 p.m.

from a NES post on the subject: a customer brought in a Para LDA to trade and he asked if it was unloaded and the guy said yes. He the racked the slide and it discharged. He said he isn't sure why it discharged. I don't know why you would bring a loaded firearm into a store to trade. They were lucky he handled it safely. To boot the ATF was in the store checking paperwork when it happened.

He the racked the slide and it discharged. He said he isn't sure why it discharged. I don't know why you would bring a loaded firearm into a store to trade.

This happens because people are retarded. Back when I use to visit gun stores more frequently I witnessed it on more than one
occasion.

-Mike

If true That’s pretty messed up how many rounds they have in that can in such a short time. I never would have thought it was that bad. I always throw whatever gun I’m bringing into a store in a case and let them take it out.

I'm betting it is real. People are dumb. However, I wonder if this is more of an issue in states where open carry is common, as the lax attitude can lead to complacency safety issues. People in MA are beaten over the head so much with gun laws, rules and regulations that the one upshot is that we're generally overly safe when handling guns. Generally--we still have some idiots too.

I'm betting it is real. People are dumb. However, I wonder if this is more of an issue in states where open carry is common, as the lax attitude can lead to complacency safety issues. People in MA are beaten over the head so much with gun laws, rules and regulations that the one upshot is that we're generally overly safe when handling guns. Generally--we still have some idiots too.
I think you couldn’t be more right.

The problem is that, by definition, half of the people in the world are of below average intelligence. If you are going to start criminalizing stupidity, you are going to need a lot more prisons.

Firearms safety has little to do with intelligence and a great deal to do with attitude. I have seen very smart people fail this test. And I have seen people with about average capabilities maintain the highest safety standards. Pretty much anyone can master firearms safety if they have the will to do so.

Anyone else doing something besides covering their ears when a gun shop pop happens?

I would be drawing even before the echo stopped while ducking for cover.

Back
Top Bottom