Mallards being fed…

Ok, so I’ve got an issue and need advice.

I’ve been scouting cape cod for duck hunting spots and haven’t had much luck, except one pond that is full of mallards.

Problem: local PD and hunters both confirm that a resident feeds them. People still hunt there but very rarely from what I’ve noticed.

There’s a lot of ducks on this pond and they all come in right on one side of this pond where they are fed, and nothing i have tried to do will change their direction.

I am not an expert duck hunter, I’m very green… my question is, do I keep on this spot?

Because it’s the only place I’ve found where there is ducks consistently, which is great. I really struggle finding ponds to hunt on cape because there is SO MUCH private property in the way.

I use one or two spinners and usually hunt only days where there is enough motion on the water.. I’ve been playing with a jerk rig but it kinda sucks.

I’ve been playing with different calls, this and that, trying everything and it’s just been a struggle.

Should I keep tryin, or in your experience, when a mallard knows where they will be fed they just go there regardless.

In other words, do I need to keep improving my technique or am I wasting my time ? Obviously I’m trying to learn but if a fed duck just goes where it’s fed and that’s that, then I don’t want to waste al that effort.. I’ve been scouting like crazy to find a new spot but here I am asking you because it’s the only spot I’ve had any luck at.

Be careful, you may run into regulations banning hunting waterfowl over bait. Federal regulations apply.

I haven’t seen many this year, but Broad Cove in Someset usually has a good number of them. Not sure if hunting ok either. Lol. But maybe a good start. Not on Cape.

And be careful. A few guys died hunting winter ducks on the Westport River about 10 years ago.

Yep it's tough to find huntable ponds down here & then find out of those ponds ones that hold ducks.
The On X app helps with the property lookup.
Most of time I run 6-24 decoys, no spinners & no calling. I try to hunt spots were the ducks want to be not spots that you have to pull them into.
I prefer salt marshes & tidal creeks for the variety of puddlers & divers this time of year. Ya not the best eating ducks but gives you some good shooting

Last edited:
These mallards will fly right over my head when I’m messing with the decoys. Never fly in close enough with the decoys out though, I watch them every time. They laugh at my fake ducks and land on this one side of the pond where all the others ones land, over, and over, and over.

I’m thinking of just sitting my kayak in the middle of the pond and pass shooting. Use On-X to get 500 ft away from the lady that feeds them in the summer and fall… shoot em on the way to and from her little duck sanctuary.

These mallards will fly right over my head when I’m messing with the decoys. Never fly in close enough with the decoys out though, I watch them every time. They laugh at my fake ducks and land on this one side of the pond where all the others ones land, over, and over, and over.

I’m thinking of just sitting my kayak in the middle of the pond and pass shooting. Use On-X to get 500 ft away from the lady that feeds them in the summer and fall… shoot em on the way to and from her little duck sanctuary.
I'd find another spot, you're hunting over bait if you hunt that spot. You haven't placed it but you know it is there and that's all that matters per the regs. Distance from bait is up to the discretion of the officer but if you're shooting birds going back and forth to it then you're too close.

There a nice spot people hunt off herring river in Harwich .

Been thinking of getting into duck hunting .

Some west Barnstable marshy areas people hunt as well.

I'd find another spot, you're hunting over bait if you hunt that spot. You haven't placed it but you know it is there and that's all that matters per the regs. Distance from bait is up to the discretion of the officer but if you're shooting birds going back and forth to it then you're too close.
See I spoke to a police officer about this though and he said I was allowed to hunt there. I’m guessing she doesn’t feed them during hunting season, but the rest of the year, so they are conditioned to her side of the pond..

See I spoke to a police officer about this though and he said I was allowed to hunt there. I’m guessing she doesn’t feed them during hunting season, but the rest of the year, so they are conditioned to her side of the pond..
A local police officer is NOT an epo. You’ll understand that better when you meet an epo in the field. Oh, and it’s not ALL of them, but enough. Just like good cops/bad cops.

A local police officer is NOT an epo. You’ll understand that better when you meet an epo in the field. Oh, and it’s not ALL of them, but enough. Just like good cops/bad cops.
And remember that they can arrest you and take your gun and your vehicle. So don't screw with them. Jack.

Local police typically don't know anything about fish and game laws. They MAY know where you can and can't be but that's about it. It doesn't make sense that she would stop feeding them for hunting season and the birds won't stay for very long if the food wasn't there. They're only conditioned as long as the food stays there, once its gone they move on.

Come on man, we are among friends here. Help guys get into it it’s better for all of us to
Come on man, we are among friends here. Help guys get into it it’s better for all of us to have a pro hunting culture.
I don’t share hunting spots with friends unless I take them there, but nes members may get some hints. I tried to help dgrantdoherty with turkeys years ago. And the ’shhh’ was posted in jest anyway.

Back
Top Bottom