• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Making wild game a bit more palatable

I find the deer that eat a lot of acorns are very gamely compared to grass feed deer. I think it's the acid in the acorns. I always try to hunt in areas with lots of fields versus hardwood forests for this reason. I can notice the difference. You are what you eat apparently.

that's an interesting observation. In spain, the most prized hogs are the ones fed only acorns! They love that taste there

Resurrecting this thread. Again, not a debate on why but for those who hunted but don't really like the taste of game. Don't throw it away or lie about it, just try this simple process- you know who you are....

It really does 'tame' or neutralize the objectionable flavor and the meat takes on any marinate you put into it.

Trim all of the fat and connective tissue off. Also when cleaning game don't get hair and feathers all over the meat. There are some nasty oils on the hair that can add to that strong gamey flavor.
When venison is all fully trimmed up and free from excess fat and connective tissue it's just like really good beef.
When your brother is law cooks up some chili with all the fat and gristle ground up into it and it tastes like **** you know why.
He already trimmed up and ate the backstops all by himself.

Try this: When you kill your deer, gut it at home if you can, after you skinned it. With MA allowing online kill registration you now can do this. Once you gut it, let it hang 12-24 hours. Then you can either quarter and freeze it to cut later or bone it all out fresh. I like to bone it all out and make cutlets out of everything peeling any skin off the meat. I use the old standby of freezer wrapping paper.

My favorite recipe is to fry in a pan with olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, garlic, some Worcestershire sauce, and Goya powder. It's delicious and everyone will like it, even the most finicky. Now for those guys who feel deer meat needs to taste like a musk gland, then no, they won't like it.

On the idea of aging: The whole idea of aging is based on the enzymes in the meat breaking down the meat and the fat. With deer, a majority of the heavy deer taste is from the fat and bone. An earlier comment about acorns and the taste of deer is quite common. But the bad acorn taste is stored mainly in the fat. Because of that, why would you want to hang a deer for a long time and let the enzymes break down the fat more and mix those flavors with the meat.

I am the member here who used to own a USDA slaughter house. We skinned and cut up many deer per year plus bear, and moose. We did on average over 300 per year. I always recommended pulling the hide quickly and cooling as fast as possible. Those who did or who were able to do that, always commented on a highly quality of taste, and moisture in their venison. I don't really care if you agree with me or not as last time I posted something like this, some here went off on me so I'm just telling those who are interested, to try the above technique and recipe. Then if you do try it, post here your findings, whether good or bad.

interesting. First time I have read to skin first before gutting. All I have read and saw in vids was to gut in the field and skin at home. I guess it is easier that way.

He didn't say that, just pull hide asap and cool. I agree, plus the hide comes off easier when fresh.

Yes, basically I did. If you can skin your deer before gutting it is easier, and cleaner. The weight of the guts helps keep the carcass steadier and prevents it from bouncing around when working the hide. It's also easier to "start" areas skinning if the abdominal cavity is closed. With the cavity closed and no areas of the aitch bone (pelvis) cut open, (so many cut this area wide open when field dressing, it's absolutely unnecessary and exposes some the the best leg meats to dirt and debris) less debris/hair gets inside the deer during the skinning process. A good wash down of the outer carcass is easily done while the guts are still in it and the carcass is "stretched" out. It is the same way animals are processed in slaughterhouses. I do understand that some can't do it that way but if you can, while the animal is warm, you will see the advantage after the first time doing it. Other than perhaps a gut shot, there is no real "need" or legit reason it has to be done in the woods. Years ago, it was mainly done to make the carcass lighter to drag. With these days of the ATV, two wheel carts, poly slides, etc, it really doesn't have to be done and is more a disadvantage rather than an advantage. It's much easier and cleaner to do it while it's hanging up on a gambrel in your garage or shed. No, as many might say, the meat won't spoil. To spoil, it firsts has to cool down, then heat up again, as crazy as that sounds, but that takes many hours to days to happen. Think of how many pick up and eat the night before road kills or how many arrow a deer just before dusk, then go back and get it the next morning. So killing a deer, dragging it out whole, taking it home and gutting once home, is not going to spoil it even if it took you hours to get it home. It is a whole lot safer too. It's much easier to work a knife on a steady, upright carcass then one laying on the ground. Your vision of what you're doing is also better. We won't even mention that its much better on the back of the older guys. You're only getting dirty and bloody once and hanging it while dressing it off makes it easier to keep the area clean. I guess I mentioned enough reasons to make my point but as I said earlier, try it yourself.

I have found that if you sprinkle garlic powder on both sides of the deer meat before you cook it the garlic powder will eliminate the gamey flavor. You do not need much sprinkled on the meat, but you can add more to your taste. Try it it really works. My wife cooks venison for me at least 3 days a week. Mostly stew that she adds elbow noodles or rice to it to make it go farther. Down here in Georgia we are allowed to kill 2 bucks and 10 does. I used to kill 5 every year, but now since I am 70 years I don't eat as much so I just take 3 now. I'm the only one in my family that eats it. These will last me till the next years season opens.

I have most of it ground up for hamburgers and to put in spaghetti sauce and meatloaf. The rest I cut the hind quarters into round stakes and some times into neck roasts and the back straps & tenderloins I keep hole and sometimes butterfly the back straps.

I learned to cut up my deer by watching this video. It takes me about 15 minutes to do what he does in 8 minutes. I also suggest you get the meat hook like he uses which you can get From Cabalas for about $8.99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw

http://www.cabelas.com/product/t-sh...=Header%3BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=meat+hook

I got the same knife he uses except I got the one with the yellow handle incase I am using it in the dark and drop it in the leaves. It sharpen easily and keeps a sharp edge. I think I paid $33.00 including shipping and got the 6" blade. Longer blade makes you work harder.

http://www.meltontackle.com/products/forschner-6-semi-stiff-knife.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom