• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Making the old 50-70 smoke pole go smokeless!

1919FAN

NES Member
I had this old 50-70 trapdoor in my collection that was a unfired prototype . So with some encouragement from Mike Spangler and some help from Mark at shooting supply getting me a set of dies ,mold and a supply of crazy hard to find brass it was game on. I used a lee .515 mould that drops at 465gr with soft lead pretty much alloy free coated with Hi Tech bullet coating over 12.8 grs. of red dot . This load shot very well with very little recoil and zero leading running at 1100 fps . I hope to add to this post with some accuracy results after I do a little trigger work . So I gotta give a big thanks to for Mike and Mark for the helping hand. image:21514.jpg image:22473.jpg image:22457.jpg image:22470.jpg

Very cool. A different way of bringing an old rifle back to life. Not my style, but I love it. I will definitely be interested in the accuracy results.

A few powders that I've used in black powder cartridges are 5744, Trailboss and Blackhorn. I've never used Red Dot but if it's working well, keep using it.

Back
Top Bottom