• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Making the CB radio perform

So I've set up the CB on both my cars and on the Corolla I'm at about 1.5 SWR on either ends of the spectrum. The power line goes directly to the car's battery, the antenna is a K40. Anything that I can do to improve the SWR?

1.5 is fine. Even at 2:1 you are only losing about 10%. Since 1 S-unit is 4to1, that 10% loss is nothing. Where do you have the antennas mounted? If they are on the trunk, adding a couple grounding straps to ensure the lid is well grounded to the body may help.

[h=5]K40 57.25" Baseload CB Antenna Kit w/Stainless Steel Whip - Black[/h]

• Universal Mounting Application, 500 Watts
  • 18' Custom-Made RG-58A/U 95% Shielded Coax, Stranded to Prevent Breakage
  • Exclusive METLPLAS Construction for Superior Performance
  • 17-7 Stainless Steel 57.25" Whip Antenna
  • Unique Capacitor for Consistent SWR Across All 40 Channels
  • Base Rotates 30° for Proper Vertical Polarization
  • Special Radiused Tip to Dissipate Static No Static Ball to get Knocked Off
  • Whip Retracts 2.25" into Coil for Easy Tuning
  • Isolation Chamber Reduces Static Damping
  • Quarter-Turn Release Makes for Easy Removal of Coil and Whip
  • Made in U.S.A.
The whip is retractable for tuning, however 1.5:1 is perfectly OK

Tuning at its best is only 1.5.

Another question then - what's the best way to mount the grounding straps? The bolt holding the trunk lid work perfectly on one end, but I don't know where to mount them on the car's body.

Tuning at its best is only 1.5.

Another question then - what's the best way to mount the grounding straps? The bolt holding the trunk lid work perfectly on one end, but I don't know where to mount them on the car's body.

I used to tin the braid a bit with solder, drill holes in it in a couple places, then strategically grind off a little on some kind of metal part in the car, and use self tapping screws to secure it in place. I think I was able to use some piece of metal on the rear deck where the speakers are. Small bolts with lock washers would probably work better. (although in my 89 tempo I had at the time, the straps never came loose... that car had massive RFI problems so I went full retard with ground straps trying to bond the piss out of eveyrthing. )

Also, if you ever upgrade your juice.... ditch the K40. It says 500W rating but that's a lie, I smoked mine with less than 200W. Great antenna though if you're not running an amp. There's a stupid ****ing capacitor in there that smokes given half a chance.

-Mike

Last edited:
1.5 is fine. Even at 2:1 you are only losing about 10%. Since 1 S-unit is 4to1, that 10% loss is nothing. Where do you have the antennas mounted? If they are on the trunk, adding a couple grounding straps to ensure the lid is well grounded to the body may help.

2:1 is awful IMHO. It might only be 10% but its going to beat the shit out of his finals (CB radios don't clamp output usually) He should be able to get it 1.1:1 on at least whatever the center is. 1.5 is fine to get by on, though.

-Mike

Doc, agreed. IMHO keeping the finals safe is only real reason to strive for a really low SWR.

Regarding bonding, I usually have to drill a hole or 2. I've been using 12AWG with with crimp ring lugs. They say braid is better, but I've never seen data to convince me it's enough to matter. Just keep it short.

Back
Top Bottom