• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

making personal use firearms in MA

I've been curious as to if it is legal in MA to make your own firearms for personal use. (80% receivers, receiver flats etc) I know the Feds allow this, but you never know with MA. If so, what are the details on this? I did a search and couldn't find anything on this matter. Thank you. [grin]

Building a weapon that you are not legally allowed to possess is illegal.
To expand on that a little....
I have a Machine Gun License, but I still can't make a machine gun.

All Federal (including NFA) and State rules must be followed. That means you can make a pistol, rifle, or shotgun. You cannot make a machine gun. You also cannot make an SBR, AOW, etc unless the proper NFA papers are done first. You can make an AR, but it must be in post-ban config.

but building a MG is illegal, correct?

Unless you have an 07 ffl (I believe is the manufacturers license) you can not make a new machine gun for your personal use. You are stuck having to buy the much more expensive pre-86 guns like everyone else.

Unless you have an 07 ffl (I believe is the manufacturers license) you can not make a new machine gun for your personal use. You are stuck having to buy the much more expensive pre-86 guns like everyone else.

Just to get back on track here...

A MG license allows you to buy pre 1986 cool stuff.

An FFL 07 allows you to make it (and buy/own items you didn't make, I suppose). I would imagine you would then be able to acquire post '85 equipment.

The down side is the annual cost of that and other necessary licenses. And if you ever stop renewing... I suspect you'd also need both the MG license and the FFL.

Just to get back on track here...

A MG license allows you to buy pre 1986 cool stuff.

An FFL 07 allows you to make it (and buy/own items you didn't make, I suppose). I would imagine you would then be able to acquire post '85 equipment.

The down side is the annual cost of that and other necessary licenses. And if you ever stop renewing... I suspect you'd also need both the MG license and the FFL.

That brings up the post may dealer samples as well which you can purchase as an FFL and keep even after you get rid of your FFL. However you can then only sell it back to another FFL if you decide to get rid of it.

Also after reading some comments from 07's on the AK Files a while ago it seems like you are ok to make some MG's for yourself as long as you are actually selling some to government entities. They don't want to see you using your 07 or other license as your personal toy chest. Of course then we go back to if you do decide to drop or you lose your 07 you then have to get rid of said MG's.

That brings up the post may dealer samples as well which you can purchase as an FFL and keep even after you get rid of your FFL. However you can then only sell it back to another FFL if you decide to get rid of it.

Also after reading some comments from 07's on the AK Files a while ago it seems like you are ok to make some MG's for yourself as long as you are actually selling some to government entities. They don't want to see you using your 07 or other license as your personal toy chest. Of course then we go back to if you do decide to drop or you lose your 07 you then have to get rid of said MG's.

An FFL 07 is a permit to be a firearm manufacturer, not a machine gun manufacturer.

Anyone with a mill has the ability to build simple handguns or rifles to sell with their 07 and the intended market should not matter? If you also build some machine guns as proof of concept, etc. it should not matter if you ever "brought those to market".

If I get to the point of needing a second job, I'd sure rather make guns than flip burgers.

Of course, in this world, there must be SOME reason why common sense must be illegal...

An FFL 07 is a permit to be a firearm manufacturer, not a machine gun manufacturer.

Anyone with a mill has the ability to build simple handguns or rifles to sell with their 07 and the intended market should not matter? If you also build some machine guns as proof of concept, etc. it should not matter if you ever "brought those to market".

If I get to the point of needing a second job, I'd sure rather make guns than flip burgers.

Of course, in this world, there must be SOME reason why common sense must be illegal...

See post 7 and 8 on this thread. http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21841 . It does seem that if one does not actually show some outgoing transfers you could have your manufacturing license taken away or have fines imposed.

See post 7 and 8 on this thread. http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21841 . It does seem that if one does not actually show some outgoing transfers you could have your manufacturing license taken away or have fines imposed.

They tend to frown on folks buying FFL's just to enhance a personal collection. Especially Title 2 items brought in without the transfer tax. If you want to test this, get the 01 or 07 FFL, get the tax stamp, bring in 10 machine guns tax free and don't renew. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom