Making my own stock... suggestions

Hi All, I am in the process of having a new rifle built. It is a 700 action with a crieger 6.5 barrel chambered in 260 Remington. I have been looking at stocks to set this in and I haven't found what I really want without having it custom built, so I have decided to build my own. I am looking to make it out of carbon fiber wrapped around an aluminum skeleton. Now I am wondering if anyone here has built their own or has any suggestions on making a stock. I have done lots of Fiberglass work but have never worked with Carbon Fiber. I found aluminum bedding blocks on Midway and Brownells so I wouldn’t have to machine my own.
This is going to be a bench rest stock, not hunting, but I want it to look nice. I want adjustable LOP but I’m not to worried about adjustable comb. For LOP I think I will just use a spacer system.
A few questions I have are;
Should I just put swivel studs on the front or is it worth it to put a rail?
What are some big problems that could arise?
The skeleton is aluminum tubing, how should I fill the voids? I was looking at high density foam.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I forget the link but there is a VERY good DIY on snipershide.com. Final product was a cross between a McMillan and a AWP. His was wood and fiberglass though so I dont know if that would help.

Back
Top Bottom