• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Making an AR-15 MA Compliant

There seem to be lots of us looking to get into AR-15s and I've discovered that there are a mind-boggling number of choices out there.

One thing that is certain is that there are NOT a lot of MA-compliant (or AWB compliant) models out there. I'm assuming that it is OK to buy a non-compliant model if the FFL can modify the rifle to make it MA-compliant prior to transferring it to me. Or I can buy upper and lower from a manufacturer (e.g. CMMG) specifying a MA-compliant configuration.

The AWB dis-allows semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
§ Large capacity ammunition magazines
§ Folding or telescoping stock
§ Conspicuous pistol grip
§ Bayonet mount
§ Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
§ Grenade launcher

The pistol grip is the one item we're not going to get around with an AR-15 so we need to deal with the other EVIL features. To that end, I think I understand what is entailed. Please critique the following:

MA-Compliant Lower:
- < 10 round magazine shipped with lower (if a mag is shipped at all)
- > 10 round pre-ban mag
- A2 butstock
- shorty A2 butstock
- pinned telescoping butstock so that it is fixed (i.e. will not move).
- Conspicuous pistol grip is a given

MA-Compliant Upper:
- no bayonet mount
- no Grenade launcher :(
- no flash suppressor
- permanently attached muzzle brake. Doesn't seem like there is any other option here as most/all barrels are threaded and so removing the flash suppressor without permanently attaching a muzzle brake is a no-no.

How easy is it for an FFL to pin a telescoping buttstock, grind a bayonet mount off and remove a flash hider and permanently attach a muzzle brake?

If this is straightforward then I can buy any AR I want (and not need to special order from the manufacturer) and have the FFL make these simple mods.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,
David

David, what brand AR are you looking at? Most of the major maunfactuators make a MA compliant version: Bushmaster and DPMS come to mind. I would either buy one of them or build the rifle from scratch.

I think it's easy to do the above you mentioned, but they are going to charge you... You are better off finding one already MA compliant. If you are looking at new, there are plenty out there. Go visit your local dealer and talk to them. If they aren't being cooperative visit a different one until you find one capable of handling such a request.

Just buy pre-ban like I did, and then you can have all the evil features. Mine has them all but the folding stock and the grenade launcher [smile]. I'll show you the goodness that is my Colt if you're free one of these days to go to HSC and help me zero it in.

So...if you buy or build a post-ban AR, you cannot have high cap mags? I don't care about any of the other stuff, but if I can't use 30 rounders I'll go pre-ban instead.

The AWB dis-allows semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
§ Large capacity ammunition magazines
§ Folding or telescoping stock
§ Conspicuous pistol grip
§ Bayonet mount
§ Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
§ Grenade launcher

Having a large capacity mag is not one of the countable features.

If there's any confusion lack of information as to what will pass muster and what will not, it's because the MA AG (or the legislature), has never defined the manner or method of making banned features legal.

Bringing an AR into compliance with MA law is relatively easy... as long as previous ATF rulings/determinations are followed.

If you don't mind buying a used firearm, there's probably no shortage of "during ban" ARs out there with fixed collapsible stocks and permanently attached muzzle brakes.

Basically, a MA compliant AR has to have a fixed stock, no bayonet mount, no flash supressor (though you can have a thing on the end that looks like one) and no grenade launcher.

You can have a pistol grip and you can use pre-ban hi-cap mags (so pre 94) even though the rifle itself is new. It's pretty easy to deal with.

http://www.ar15sales.com is in Plaistow NH and he has a very good rep. I'm sure he can put a MA complaint AR together for you.

Back
Top Bottom