Make New Shooters [2018 Challenge]

Mesatchornug

NES Member
I propose a contest to the members of the board:
Take a new shooter to the range. Aim for one a month (just like your purchases).

Keep tally and post about it here. At the end of the year I'll figure out a prize or three.

And to spice it up - if they voted Clinton or Stein, they count twice.

Last edited:
Did Jill Stein run for president?

meh...who knew?

Good challenge and something I've been thinking about more lately as I find my angst toward antis (including my significant other) growing exponentially. I've been dating my girlfriend for 2 years and have basically refused to ask her to go shooting because 'why waste ammo?'

I think I need to change my tone a little in order to save my relationship...who knows, maybe she'll even like it? :D

Sorry, not allowed to participate.

I have belonged to several clubs in the greater Springfield area and every single one of them has an absolute ZERO tolerance policy on guests at the range. In my experience clubs like to talk a good game but, they are not in the least interested in enticing new people to the sport. Otherwise they wouldn't demand people buy into a full membership (not cheap at a few places) just to give shooting a try.
I know I wouldn't be too excited to drop $60 to $100 or more just to give something I'm really not to sure about a try. I understand liability and safety and all but, until clubs start to loosen up a little, there will remain a wall between the shooting sports and the general public we need to win over if we're going to get any significant support at the ballot box.

Took my son and his GF to the range today. She has never shot before. She voted for Bernie and then Clinton!!

She shot, in order
SR22
Mark IV Tactical suppressed
SP01 Tactical
PMR30
DE50

110lbs, 5'3"

She will shoot again

Last edited:
Took my son and his GF to the range today. She has never shot before. She voted for Bernie and then Clinton!!

She shot, in order
SR22
SP01 Tactical
PMR30
MP5 full auto, suppressed
DE50

110lbs, 5'3"

She will shoot again

Damn, those are some nice toys you got. I figured you’re in NH until I clicked on your name....Must be nice to have a 07 FFL lol.

I have belonged to several clubs in the greater Springfield area and every single one of them has an absolute ZERO tolerance policy on guests at the range. In my experience clubs like to talk a good game but, they are not in the least interested in enticing new people to the sport. Otherwise they wouldn't demand people buy into a full membership (not cheap at a few places) just to give shooting a try.
I know I wouldn't be too excited to drop $60 to $100 or more just to give something I'm really not to sure about a try. I understand liability and safety and all but, until clubs start to loosen up a little, there will remain a wall between the shooting sports and the general public we need to win over if we're going to get any significant support at the ballot box.
Really sad to hear your range is so brutal on their guest rules.

Bumping this thread - I've been lazy, focusing on new shooters rather than never-before shooters. We're about to start month 3, what's everyone else up to?

Did Jill Stein run for president?

meh...who knew?

Good challenge and something I've been thinking about more lately as I find my angst toward antis (including my significant other) growing exponentially. I've been dating my girlfriend for 2 years and have basically refused to ask her to go shooting because 'why waste ammo?'

I think I need to change my tone a little in order to save my relationship...who knows, maybe she'll even like it? :D
Never hurts to try, right?

I joked to mine Sunday, "looks like there's a gun show next weekend; wanna go?"
Her: Never been, sure! But I may make jokes about your biceps the whole time.
Me:
iu

And I expected roughly "nah, not my thing." Winning!

Same here. As far as I know, the only public club in Western Mass that allows you to bring a guest is the Agawam Revolver Club. S&W range allows it but you have to be an employee to bring a guest.

We are our own worst enemy when it t comes to sharing our sport and it will bite us in the ass before we are done. We need all the shooters we can get.

Bob

She shot, in order
SR22
SP01 Tactical
PMR30
DE50

110lbs, 5'3"

She will shoot again

Good for you and everyone that gets new people into shooting but will they still vote democrat? That's the conversion that really needs to be made.

My club has a VERY easy going guest policy. Allowed to bring 3 guests to the range only rule is you have to be with them (all can shoot different guns but your guests need to be close to you.....ie.....you cant have your guests shooting 100 yard range while your down the other end on the 50). An individual guest is allowed to come 3 times a year (before being asked to join). Also we run public events 4-5 times a month and new people are welcome to come and those events don't count as one of the three times per year as a guest. Our membership numbers are strong and growing.

Last year I got a couple worker to get his LTC. Year before that I got two relatives to get their LTC. I take folks to the club all the time .

Same here. As far as I know, the only public club in Western Mass that allows you to bring a guest is the Agawam Revolver Club. S&W range allows it but you have to be an employee to bring a guest.

We are our own worst enemy when it t comes to sharing our sport and it will bite us in the ass before we are done. We need all the shooters we can get.

Bob
My condolences. Obviously it's not easy, but what's the process to confront your range about changing the policy?

Can you go to business meetings? Do you have to be on the board?

Are there members' social events where you can meet and greet with others to discuss why this is a problem?

My condolences. Obviously it's not easy, but what's the process to confront your range about changing the policy?

Can you go to business meetings? Do you have to be on the board?

Are there members' social events where you can meet and greet with others to discuss why this is a problem?

I have attended the monthly meetings in the past to fight the age/caliber restrictions. We were told that they wouldn't do it but they did and blamed it "on the lawyers and insurance".

Bob

I have attended the monthly meetings in the past to fight the age/caliber restrictions. We were told that they wouldn't do it but they did and blamed it "on the lawyers and insurance".

Bob
That sucks. Sorry your club is run by FUDDs who respond to FUD.

I'm sure HSC is a drive for you, but any time I can align my schedule, I'm happy to host you and any newbie that wants to join you.

My club encourages supervised guests to get more people shooting.
We can always dispose of the body in the fish pond if things go sideways.

We sponsor a weekend for a local scout troop to camp out, fish and get there gun on.
The kids love it and it's typically the first time many have held a gun.

Some of you with young kids need to get a woman from a Facebook Moms group to the range.
That's were the next generation of antis are being bred and we need someone on the inside.

Bob
Age and caliber restrictions? Like you have to be a certain age to shoot larger calibers?

Good for you and everyone that gets new people into shooting but will they still vote democrat? That's the conversion that really needs to be made.
Not everyone votes based on a single issue. I personally find both Ds and Rs to be repugnant statists. Red or Blue really makes no difference. Yes, the Rs tend to give lip service to gun rights but it more often than not turns into just lip service.

Over the last 30 years, Rs have increased the debt on a % basis, start of 4yr term to end of 4yr term, by a higher % than Ds. Reconcile that with Rs small government rhetoric. Yes, Obama increased it more in absolute dollars, but look at it as a % which is a more balanced way to look at it. National debt is doing more damage to this country than almost any issue and while both parties suck, the Rs suck more.

Yes, I vote R more than D, but lets try and avoid the general Ds are bad so vote R mentality

Not everyone votes based on a single issue. I personally find both Ds and Rs to be repugnant statists. Red or Blue really makes no difference. Yes, the Rs tend to give lip service to gun rights but it more often than not turns into just lip service.

Over the last 30 years, Rs have increased the debt on a % basis, start of 4yr term to end of 4yr term, by a higher % than Ds. Reconcile that with Rs small government rhetoric. Yes, Obama increased it more in absolute dollars, but look at it as a % which is a more balanced way to look at it. National debt is doing more damage to this country than almost any issue and while both parties suck, the Rs suck more.

Yes, I vote R more than D, but lets try and avoid the general Ds are bad so vote R mentality

If you notice I didn't recommend a party to vote for. I too consider them to be basically the same, corrupt money hungry whores who serve themselves rather than us. If someone asks I recommend those that would be most likely to uphold the COTUS but unfortunately they don't get very far.

Yes. This started with the Westfield MG incident.

Bob

IMG_0958.jpg
That's some major fuddery there especially considering the Westfield thing was a full auto. My son was shooting trap on his own with a 20 gauge at 11 years old. With coaching and me standing with him the first 3 rounds....after that he was on his own busting 18-20!

I'm a member at the Braintree club and have to say, not a lot of activities there promote shooting to beginners. Lots of great stuff going on there for members, but nothing really offered to train new shooters. I was at a CMP shoot where a non-member had come to shoot. He had never shot before and had heard about the CMP events being open to the public. Our spotter/instructor tried to help him, but he didn't really have time to give him the individual attention he needed while still spotting and running the event on time. The new shooter was having trouble staying on paper at 100 yards, so it was hard to give him advice. Doubt he considered it a good first experience.

A new shooter having a good experience today is a 2a supporter tomorrow.

Last edited:
You know, I wasn't going to name names but, maybe we should. If the Fudds have they're way we're all screwed anyway so what's to lose by swinging back?
We all know there are 3 sides to every story and I'm not trying to turn this into a club bashing thread but, I've left Westfield Sportsman Club twice. The first time was after the age restrictions in the wake of the MG shoot. While other clubs have vibrant youth programs, Westfield didn't want them. If my kids aren't good enough for your club why the hell should I give you a dime of my money?
Years later, I was told they'd loosened up a bit and decided to give them another try. (It IS a beautiful club with fantastic facilities) Well, they still couldn't shoot handguns (21) and, IIRC, I had to be right over them when using a rifle/shotgun. Tried to make the best of it but, then I got into it with an RSO over something unrelated.
Now, keeping in mind 3 sides to every story, I thought I was in the right. I acknowledged his authority as RSO and indicated my intention to follow his orders but, I also made my case which he didn't appreciate at all. I then thanked him for helping me make a difficult decision. Due to the draconian rules he and his compadres on the board had put in place and, with no relief in sight, my family and I would not be returning as members.
The old coot couldn't have cared less. He almost seemed happy about it.
This was 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe things have changed. I doubt it. If the Fudds continue unchecked, that club will probably die before I do. And, circling back to the original intent of this thread, guests aren't allowed to shoot. There's no way to expose new people to the sport if you can't get them to the firing line.

My sister, an M.D. in her 50's, called to ask help getting her LTC.
She's already booked the training course.
She knows my primary care Doc, and he's taking the course with her and applying too.
Looking forward to the gun talk at my yearly physicals.

Bob
Northampton revolver club and the Easthampton Fish and Game allow guests. I think 2 at a time with some rules involved. I believe Norwottuck in Hadley also allows guests.

I have one individual who has expressed interest in trying it out. When the time changes I’ll take him one evening. Hard left ideology consistent with the Northampton-Amherst corridor.

Back
Top Bottom