• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Make New Shooters [2018 Challenge]

What I'd really like to see is a "Jr. Rifle Camp" foundation started.
Teach boys and girls gun safety, marksmanship, Values and Self-Respect to ensure Our Way of Life.
Think Appleseed but geared for kids...

Took my co-worker/technician to the range last year. This past week she showed me her brand new LTC and told me her boyfriend got his as well. Selling her a M&P Shield tomorrow.
No pictures coming.
Now I got to get the other co-workers to join me on the range.

Northampton revolver club and the Easthampton Fish and Game allow guests. I think 2 at a time with some rules involved. I believe Norwottuck in Hadley also allows guests.

I have one individual who has expressed interest in trying it out. When the time changes I’ll take him one evening. Hard left ideology consistent with the Northampton-Amherst corridor.

Northampton does allow guests to shoot with limitations. If I remember, two guests per member per visit and maximum number of visits per guest in a year (four) after which they are encouraged to become members. Looking at the rules for Easthampton Fish&Game guests may observe but not shoot.

Both clubs regularly hold events that are open to public as well.

Last edited:
I keep trying to get new shooters, from karma for shoots/matches to tossing anything and everything for people to use/try at the range. I have dragged a half of fist full over to cmp matches but they where already gun owners.
I have done just about everything except actually pay a hourly wage to get new shooters out there.
I'm surrounded by more people just not interested than anything else.

Gotta get them when they are still in Jr. High...

Had another chat with the guy who I’ve previously mentioned.

He told me he’d like to take the course and get an LTC which shocked me considering what I know about him. Also said he’s alright with some legal obstacles to getting a gun, specifically mentioning safety courses and licensure.

Started a new shooter yesterday, 22 pistol to 9mm to another 9mm to a 22 rifle to an Asalt rifle to 45-70 lever gun to a 12 gauge for some clay shooting. The cheesy grin from ear to ear never ended the whole way home. He's all signed up for his safety course now! Pro 2A and training shooters is what I want to do this year even if it costs me money. Exposing people to the sport is priceless for me!

Well done and nice variety! Can you take me shooting too? Lol

Bumping the thread. It's finally "springtime." I had three brand new shooters out this weekend. All three say they look forward to shooting again, and already started making sounds re: licensing.

Make us all feel better about the state of things - tell us about your efforts to continue creating new shooters.

I took this guy to the range, but he didn’t like it....

On a more serious note, I haven’t been in more than a year myself. I think I need someone to take me to the range!

Attachments

• 9D834C24-BC30-4838-93F8-D46AF6211B7B.png
    9D834C24-BC30-4838-93F8-D46AF6211B7B.png
    175.9 KB · Views: 11
Sorry, not allowed to participate.

I have belonged to several clubs in the greater Springfield area and every single one of them has an absolute ZERO tolerance policy on guests at the range. In my experience clubs like to talk a good game but, they are not in the least interested in enticing new people to the sport. Otherwise they wouldn't demand people buy into a full membership (not cheap at a few places) just to give shooting a try.
I know I wouldn't be too excited to drop $60 to $100 or more just to give something I'm really not to sure about a try. I understand liability and safety and all but, until clubs start to loosen up a little, there will remain a wall between the shooting sports and the general public we need to win over if we're going to get any significant support at the ballot box.

It's unfortunate that your clubs have those rules, but allowing guests is a double-edged sword and I understand the reasoning behind the rules. Many clubs are trying to restrict those present to those who can behave and display good range etiquette. However, I personally believe that so long as you hold the membership-holder responsible for the actions of their guest(s), it should be a non-issue.

I have belonged to several clubs in the greater Springfield area and every single one of them has an absolute ZERO tolerance policy on guests at the range. In my experience clubs like to talk a good game but, they are not in the least interested in enticing new people to the sport. Otherwise they wouldn't demand people buy into a full membership (not cheap at a few places) just to give shooting a try.
I know I wouldn't be too excited to drop $60 to $100 or more just to give something I'm really not to sure about a try. I understand liability and safety and all but, until clubs start to loosen up a little, there will remain a wall between the shooting sports and the general public we need to win over if we're going to get any significant support at the ballot box.
lol join a non shit club problem goes away

I've taken all my in laws to the range only to have them leave disgruntled not wanting to hold my target. Seriously though kids are where it's at for getting someone hooked on shooting. Adults are great but juniors are the future stewards of the second ammendment. Having a product that appeals to the youth almost always entails having a parent present. Nothing sells a parent on anything as much as their child's unbridled joy. Probably a more serious post than I'm used to but I've had a junior program for more than a dozen years and have had hundreds of kids through it. Also as an instructor have brought many adults into shooting. I've even managed to have some juniors come back to me and get their ltc. Other list members Michael Spangler for one with his casting seminar have given me ideas to further enrich my junior program. I wish I was special but those of you that know me know that I'm an idiot. If I can do it you probably can too, you just have to want to. GOAL would be better suited to having some more involvement for juniors, we should do more to support GOAL doing it and we would all have a better result. Fudds hardly ever change and some of us are slowly becoming funds and don't know it. Being involved at the youth level cures all of this, my apologies for the length of post.

Yikes... and I thought Braintree's one guest per month policy was rough.

We're almost half-way through 2018. I worked with a couple new shooters last weekend. Have another coming out this weekend. I taught a class for four (including one who'd never handed a firearm) at the beginning of the month and have another for a family of three at the end. All lean left, all have listened when I talk about the state of the laws here.

Whatever we're doing now about stuff like ERPO bills is fine, but the real push is growing our ranks. As Garandman's signature (used to) says - Relentless Upbeat Pressure. What's everyone else up to?

Back
Top Bottom