• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Make MOE/CTR/ACS stock non-collapsable (without damage)

Cap

NES Member
Wanted to "pin" my MOE stock without damaging it. Followed the instructions here with 1 minor modification for MOE stock (3/16" x 3/4" dowel vs. 1/4" x 3/4").
How to Pin Magpul CTR Stock without Drilling - AR Discussion - New Jersey Gun Forums

This is the finished product:
stock.jpg

Punch out the roll pin that the arrow is pointing to, and keep your hand over the bottom hole, as a spring may fly out.

dowel.jpg

Place the stock at the desired position, put the steel dowel (3/16 x 3/4) back into the hole where the spring came out of (save the spring in case you ever move to a free state), and punch the roll pin back in. Everything looks normal, but you will be unable to press the lever to adjust the stock.

This takes literally < 5 minutes, renders the stock fixed, is reversible, and looks good.

Pic of the complete conversion?

I found with my aluminum rod, if I went small enough to fit the buffer tube, the rod was loose in the stock. If I stepped it up to fit the stock perfectly, I had to file down part of the rod to fit the buffer tube stop positions.

Pic of the complete conversion?

I found with my aluminum rod, if I went small enough to fit the buffer tube, the rod was loose in the stock. If I stepped it up to fit the stock perfectly, I had to file down part of the rod to fit the buffer tube stop positions.

First pic in the post, with the red arrow, is the completed conversion. To be clear, you need to keep the assembly (for lack of better word) that the spring sits inside of. The same mechanism that normally holds the stock to the position on the buffer tube remains. The only difference is that there is no longer a spring inside.

And I should say it doesn't "telescope" as that is the language the law uses.

Last edited:
Can you take a punch and easily manipulate the stock magpul rod? When I tried just removing the crossbar that catches on the plastic latch, I realized I could just take a punch, wedge it in the small opening and slide the rod down.

Also similar method: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...l-str-non-destructive-reversible-pinning.html

ETA: Ohhh I think I get it now. The rod is long enough that it's against the roll pin, and obviously flush against the crossbar, so you could press the level all you want, but it won't budge, OR you dig into your lever :)

I'm not sure I 100% follow what you are saying, but it feels exactly like the stock did before the mod. I can push the crossbar from the side and it will slide maybe 1/16", but its impossible for it to fall out and doesn't expose any openings. You want to leave the crossbar, its integral to this mod working. The steel dowel prevents the crossbar from falling out.

Why the **** are you complying, sheep with guns=fudds? Oh, the stock police cometh to my door. If they come for your AR, KILL THEM, WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND!!!

Why the **** are you complying, sheep with guns=fudds? Oh, the stock police cometh to my door. If they come for your AR, KILL THEM, WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND!!!

For peace of mind when we're at the range? Knowing we don't have a blatantly obvious felony in our hands worrying if the guy a station over is a LEO? Leave the non-compliant guns at home, sure, but someone is an idiot if they're posting and bragging about it on the Internet. Maybe that's why we see threads about pinning stocks, with reversible means? Relax.

-------------
Excuse the brevity, I'm mobile.

Are there any roll pins similar in size to a 3/16" x 3/4" dowel?
I'd order a dowel online they're less than $1 buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut shipping everywhere is $7-$10 and doesn't seem worth it..........

Are there any roll pins similar in size to a 3/16" x 3/4" dowel?
I'd order a dowel online they're less than $1 buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut shipping everywhere is $7-$10 and doesn't seem worth it..........

Go to harbor freight and get this. http://www.harborfreight.com/120-piece-roll-pin-storehouse-67591.html

Take one of the 3/16 x 1in and cut/grind off 1/4 in. You'll also have all the roll pins you could need for future build, except maybe a few of the very small ones.

Followed this method today, worked great. I picked up a 3/16 x 36" rod from Home Depot for less than $3. Used a hacksaw to cut it down to 3/4 increments for the two stocks I pinned.

Here's a link to the 48".. saw the 36" in the store and went with that. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-3-16-in-x-48-in-Plain-Steel-Round-Rod-48880/202183476

BTW I found I needed to use my punch to hammer down the dowel so the roll pin would fit through. Not sure if my cuts were bad or it gets tight when you drop it in. Had to do this for both., no biggie.

Last edited:
I've used a 1/2 inch screwpost extension. With the threads, it's 3/4" and it's exactly 3/16" OD. Wrapped some Gorilla tape around the threads to make it even with the rest of the body.

20150113_134955[1].jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom