Mak-90

What can you guys tell me about a Mak-90 AK?

Found one that looks really nice, its imported by C.J.A? Springfield Michigan....Looks to have the gas block neutered and the muzzle threads turned down. Im not the AK guru but know theres lots of guys here that are without me having to join another forum (AKfiles)

Additionally, whats a fair going rate?

Good AK's, one thing to look out for is whether it's a straight cut or slant cut receiver as it may determine your furniture choices. Also be aware the stamped receivers are a bit thicker so your buttstock of choice might need some fitting unless you get one from Ironwood that is specifically for the Chinese variants. Some of them have enough meat on the barrel and can be threaded, some can't. Speaking of cant, I've sold a metric crapton of Chinese AK's and it's very rare the front sight is canted. Going rate right now for one with a bunghole stock in good condition is around 1100 in MA, more if it's got upgraded furniture.

If you're finding them approaching more $ PM me as I have a couple nicer pre ban options.

ETA - I'd be all over this one:

Stape is in Missouri so I'd guess half the MA rape price?...

Shouldn't be any MA rape on a MAK90, they kinda "are worth whatever they're worth".

Last one I had sold a few years ago for under 700 but I had an MWI railset on it. Was a nice gun.

-Mike

I bought one in 2013/14 for like $650-$700. I sold it in 2016 and I can't recall how much I sold it for...

Great AK’s. Good stock trigger.

I personally don’t like the thumbhole stock but at long as it has a straight back receiver you can make almost any furniture set work with a little modification. I put a polymer AK74 set on one and loved the way it came out. It also bugs me that they don’t have the cleaning rod / bayo lug, slant brake but those are just looks. If you want those features, save a little more and get a pre ‘89 AK, like a Type 56.

They are all pre ban so it is not hard to find a dealer willing to transfer one. If you are patient you can get good deals on Gun Broker or on other forums ($700/$800). Forget the MA prices. AK files has a very active classifieds section.

Be aware that there are also MAK 90’s out there with milled receivers and I believe all the milled receivers have the slant back. They will command more on the price and they are heavier. Personally, I prefer the stamped versions.

AK’s rust, so be alert when buying. Ask for lots of pictures and look out for paint jobs

lastly, be aware of the ‘third hole’ MAK 90’s that are floating around out there. Google it for pictures. I believe they are all illegal and you dont want to get stuck with one.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I went ahead and got it. I've got under folders and side folders, but always wanted a fixed stock that looked "just right" for me anyways. Ive got a local AK builder/LGS who has a Chinese gas block with bayo lug who can install it and fix the muzzle and get it back to being correct for pretty short money.mak.jpg

Mak 90 and most of the chinese stuff that came in while it are almost always good. If I knew better then I would have snagged a small pile of the 1911s, M14s and the 22lr clones.

Mak 90 and most of the chinese stuff that came in while it are almost always good. If I knew better then I would have snagged a small pile of the 1911s, M14s and the 22lr clones.
I rarely see the M14’s. Got a Mak90 myself and it is still a small work in progress cosmetically. It is a sweet shooter though! A lot of Norinco’s other 7.62/ 5.56 offerings intrigue me: BWK spiker, 86S, NHM91, Hunter AK, SKS in the standard and paratrooper model, and the 7.62x54R NDM-86 (what’s the deal with the prices people ask for those!?!).

As for the .22lr Olympia copy, I almost bought one. I’m still thinking of getting a 1911A for under $500 in excellent shape. It has to have the lightweight trigger though.

I rarely see the M14’s. Got a Mak90 myself and it is still a small work in progress cosmetically. It is a sweet shooter though! A lot of Norinco’s other 7.62/ 5.56 offerings intrigue me: BWK spiker, 86S, NHM91, Hunter AK, SKS in the standard and paratrooper model, and the 7.62x54R NDM-86 (what’s the deal with the prices people ask for those!?!).

As for the .22lr Olympia copy, I almost bought one. I’m still thinking of getting a 1911A for under $500 in excellent shape. It has to have the lightweight trigger though.

The Olympia copy is not a bad little gun, but spare parts are an issue of course. Got a Polytech M14 up for sale on Alist now, got a few calls from out of state from guys looking.

the browning take down clones where very nice and cheap back then. i always wanted one of the K98 22lr trainers.
Some models where not imported in large numbers and like so many things theres generally a "cult" following on some stuff driving prices up. Like the Remington Nylon rifles.

The Olympia copy is not a bad little gun, but spare parts are an issue of course. Got a Polytech M14 up for sale on Alist now, got a few calls from out of state from guys looking.
Why no posting on NES?
Yeah I wonder why not?

There is a Norinco M14S on GB right now in fine shape. What a nice looking rifle! Haven’t seen one yet for sale. I’ll check out Alist for yours in a second....

Can’t go wrong with a MAK90. I bought one back in ‘02 for $375 and traded it towards a Luger in ‘08. Then early on in the Obama years I bought another one for $500 because I missed having an AK variant! ;)
I wouldn’t let it go for less than $1k but I have multiple stock sets and over a dozen mags. Mine is the stamped receiver.

I bought my NHM91 and M14S in 92 for $300 each.
Still zero malfunctions on each to this day. Both are great shooters.

Back
Top Bottom