MAK 90 straight cut folder conversion. Thoughts?

I’m picking up a MAK 90 and plan to put her into some prettier clothing. I like the idea of a side folder and have been looking into some of the various adapters and retrofit options. In particular, I’ve been considering both the Gallil style stock and the Manticore Arms Chinese folding stock.

I’m just wondering if any of you guys have gone this route and how you feel about it. What hinge adapter did you go with. Bone steel? Ace? Did you go right or left side? Perhaps most importantly, what length did you go with and how comfortable does it feel with your particular height?

I’d love to hear any thoughts any of you have in this area and whether or not there are any other upgrades that you think are worthwhile and value-added. Sabreworks KOP is on my radar as is the Krebs enhanced safety with the bolt hold open.

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

Respectfully,

Johnny

Just get a folding stock that's intended to work with a fixed trunnion, like a Zenitco PT-5 or a Bonesteel Beryl/Galil folder.

I've been planning to get the Bonesteel for my WASR. It's currently in a Magpul Zhukov.
The PT-5 from ZenitCo is also nice. I am running ZenitCo handguards on that rifle.

In terms of folding, I'd recommend right side if you are planning to use a siderail for optics, whether that's via an existing rail (I don't think MAK-90s have them) or something like the AK Master Mount. This would allow you to have optics and still fold the stock securely. My SLR-106 has a left side folder, and it cannot be folded properly when the side rail is in use, thus limiting its utility.

A right side fold arguably makes using the safety more difficult, but for me being able to fold the rifle is more important than hip firing it. Most stocks, the Zhukov included, still clear the ejection port to permit firing, provided the safety is off.

In terms of folding, I'd recommend right side if you are planning to use a siderail for optics, whether that's via an existing rail (I don't think MAK-90s have them) or something like the AK Master Mount. This would allow you to have optics and still fold the stock securely. My SLR-106 has a left side folder, and it cannot be folded properly when the side rail is in use, thus limiting its utility.

Also, just in case OP doesn't know, there are other optics mounting solutions besides side rails, like a Zenitco or TWS Dogleg dust cover mount or a Zenitco or Ultimak gas tube mount.

Also, just in case OP doesn't know, there are other optics mounting solutions besides side rails, like a Zenitco or TWS Dogleg dust cover mount or a Zenitco or Ultimak gas tube mount.
Thanks. I am indeed aware. At the moment, I think I’m leaning toward the Sabreworks KOP for optic mounting, but the Ultimak is definitely on my radar. I’m not familiar with the TWS Dogleg, though. Going to give that a look.

I've been planning to get the Bonesteel for my WASR. It's currently in a Magpul Zhukov.
The PT-5 from ZenitCo is also nice. I am running ZenitCo handguards on that rifle.

A right side fold arguably makes using the safety more difficult, but for me being able to fold the rifle is more important than hip firing it. Most stocks, the Zhukov included, still clear the ejection port to permit firing, provided the safety is off.
Thank you for all of this information. Since there isn’t a side rail on it already, I figured I’d go with the Saberworks KOP or the Ultimak. I know it’s not a fashion show, but I appreciate the cleaner look - especially since I have no intention of using an optic that is all that sensitive to eye relief.

The Zenitco PT-5 looks really nice. That one may just end up being what I go with. I

Wow. That design looks like it shouldn’t be able to be that rigid. This video definitely makes the price tag seem a lot more reasonable. Thanks for sharing it!

Wow. That design looks like it shouldn’t be able to be that rigid. This video definitely makes the price tag seem a lot more reasonable. Thanks for sharing it!

If you're not using a magnified optic, the PT-5 is a bit overkill. The reason I have one is to raise the comb to get my face in the eyebox for a scope.

For example, I ordered a Bonesteel M4-style folding + collapsing stock that's going to go with an AK that's going to use a red dot.

That makes complete sense. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what is your preferred optics mount setup for a red dot on an AK pattern rifle? As I said previously, I think I’m leaning toward the Sabrewerks KOP, but the pain-in-the-ass factor is pretty high in terms of installation since it replaces the factory rear sight block. I want the iron sights to cowitness to the extent possible, and from all I’m reading/seeing that’s generally a bit of a challenge with other systems.

I’m not looking for a anything too high-speed in terms of an optic. I’ve been thinking that the Vortex Venom 3 MOA reflex sight looks like a good budget option, but after getting the KOP, having it mounted (or buying/making the supports for the press and doing it myself), and purchasing the appropriate mounting plate, I’d have spent enough to get an Ultimak or something and a higher quality optic.

That makes complete sense. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what is your preferred optics mount setup for a red dot on an AK pattern rifle? As I said previously, I think I’m leaning toward the Sabrewerks KOP, but the pain-in-the-ass factor is pretty high in terms of installation since it replaces the factory rear sight block. I want the iron sights to cowitness to the extent possible, and from all I’m reading/seeing that’s generally a bit of a challenge with other systems.

I’m not looking for a anything too high-speed in terms of an optic. I’ve been thinking that the Vortex Venom 3 MOA reflex sight looks like a good budget option, but after getting the KOP, having it mounted (or buying/making the supports for the press and doing it myself), and purchasing the appropriate mounting plate, I’d have spent enough to get an Ultimak or something and a higher quality optic.

@daekken should hopefully be able to weigh in about using a gas tube mount soon, like an Ultimak or Zenitco B19.

If you do go with a gas tube mount, I'd get a quality red dot. A lower end one might not handle the heat well and loose zero easily.

As I understand it, being pre-ban, I don’t have to worry about the so-called “evil” features like folding/collapsing stocks. It will still have to be 922r compliant, though. I’m thinking of picking up a new-manufacture AR lower before the Biden administration can get any legislation through, and that would have to have a fixed stock, not have a threaded muzzle, etc.

Fitted a wire folder on my MAK shot it once and wasn’t a fan of the chin weld. Looks cool folded but I prefer the wooden stock. Let me know if you’re interested in the wire folder I already fitted it for MAK receivers.

Thank you very much, but I ended up pulling the trigger on the Bonesteel Galil style folder just today. If I end up unhappy with it, I’ll hit you up for sure, as I do like the wire folders quite a lot.

Bonesteel sells cheek risers for the stock you ordered for like $5.

Figured I’d give you guys an update if you’re interested. I ended up buying the
Bonesteel Galil style left-side folder since I don’t intend to use a side mount for optics. The site said it was on backorder, but I received a tracking number the next day and had it in hand just a few days after that. I had seen a bunch of people saying that receiving anything from him was really slow and some who had waited several weeks and had heard nothing, but my experience was obviously nothing like that. The stock and folding mechanism are really well crafted and finished.

I also ended up grabbing a FAB Defense pistol grip and the Krebs enhanced safety. I think I’m going install the Krebs hammer trigger pin retaining plate, too. Once my wallet recovers, I’ll get the optic situation figured out.

Thank you all so much for all the advice. Your input and recommendations really helped me a lot!

Figured I’d give you guys an update if you’re interested. I ended up buying the
Bonesteel Galil style left-side folder since I don’t intend to use a side mount for optics. The site said it was on backorder, but I received a tracking number the next day and had it in hand just a few days after that. I had seen a bunch of people saying that receiving anything from him was really slow and some who had waited several weeks and had heard nothing, but my experience was obviously nothing like that. The stock and folding mechanism are really well crafted and finished.

I also ended up grabbing a FAB Defense pistol grip and the Krebs enhanced safety. I think I’m going install the Krebs hammer trigger pin retaining plate, too. Once my wallet recovers, I’ll get the optic situation figured out.

Thank you all so much for all the advice. Your input and recommendations really helped me a lot!

You got this one, right?

https://www.bonesteelarms.com/MAK-90-Galil-Style-Folding-Stock-FS-GL-MAK.htm

Yes sir. That’s the one. It’s incredibly well made and looks so much better than the Ace. I’m very happy with it thus far.

I went with the Warsaw length.

Here it is installed: View attachment 468704
Looks great. Ive been waiting 4 weeks so far for my bonesteelarms folder. Says back ordered but based on what i read on other forums, i am not very optimistic im going to see it. Some have said they waited 5 months and never got it. Hopefully i am the exception because they look great.

Looks great. Ive been waiting 4 weeks so far for my bonesteelarms folder. Says back ordered but based on what i read on other forums, i am not very optimistic im going to see it. Some have said they waited 5 months and never got it. Hopefully i am the exception because they look great.
You know, that’s really crazy. It said it was on backorder when I bought mine, too, but I got it in less than a week. Did you go with a left or right side folder? I had no intention of using a side mount for optics so I went with the left side folder, and I’m thinking that just might not be as popular so he had some in stock.

Bonesteel’s folders are made by CNC Warrior, and being a small outfit, it’s not going to make sense for him to do short production runs. Also, given these folders being a niche product, they have to really be smart about how much inventory they carry. I can absolutely tell you it’ll be worth the wait. You’re really going to love it. I honestly think it’s more likely people are jumping the gun on saying that Bonesteel never sent them their stuff. It’d be interesting to see how many just never updated posts saying they never arrived.

I’ve actually been waiting on a backordered item forever myself - an aperture sight for my TWS gen 3 Dogleg top cover rail. I ordered it several months ago, and it looks like I’m not going to be getting it until mid August.

Back
Top Bottom