• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Major 1911 Makeover

Greg Derr

Gun Smith
Dealer
NES Member
A 1911 for a USMC Major. Get it! Started out as a nickel Colt Series 70. Stripped the nickel to reveal a typical late 70's Colt with some flaws including very light rollmarks on the big "billboard" Thanks to Dave Clevinger who recut them all by hand. The frame was checkered front and rear with 25lpi. Slide flattened and serrated. Port lowered. Frame tangs cut for an EGW GS. magwell beveled. Most of the parts are Ed Brown. Kart barrel and EGW bushing. Sights are Heinie in the rear with a Yost gold line up front. Finish is brushed hard chrome. Since this is a Texas marine, the grips are mesquite with silver Colt medallion inlays.

dBd0yT3.jpg

Zp3uAnI.jpg

26MhzHp.jpg

05Rk1qw.jpg

vQb6JSZ.jpg

classy.

And after looking at this a few times... Texan or not, that mesquite gives it an 'heirloom' look to it. It's really a nice touch, I think it really ties the thing together like a Lebowski Rug.

Last edited:
there's nothing better than a 1911. they're all pretty but this one is beautiful. and at my age I get a better reaction looking at gun photos than,,,well, never mind. gorgeous pistol, nice job.

Sorry about that. I usually post before and progress photos on my FB page with the iPhone . Then the finished photos on the forums. Take a look at DerrPrecision on Facebook if you use it for lots of process photos and videos. Thanks

These Derr pieces are true works of art. It would add some perspective if Greg could post the price of a job along with the photos.

Back
Top Bottom