• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine

The whole no sunday hunting and private land being open unless posted is not really great either.

There are some huge state and federal areas down south in the mountains if I want to go get lost on big public land.
I believe that you have incorrect information on that.
This is from Maine Inland Fish and Wildlife:

Posting of Land and Criminal Trespass (17-A MRSA, §402)​

Property is posted if it is marked with signs or paint in one of the following ways and in a manner that is reasonably likely to come to the attention of an intruder:

1. Signs must indicate that access is prohibited, that access is prohibited without permission of the landowner or landowner's agent, or that access for a particular activity is prohibited.
  2. One vertical "OSHA Safety Purple" stripe at least one inch in width and at least 8 inches in length means "Access by Permission Only" when it is placed on trees, posts or stones between three and five feet off the ground. These signs or paint stripes must mark the property at distances no more than 100 feet apart at locations that are readily visible to any person approaching the property, and at all vehicular access entries from a public road.
In addition, landowners may also, either verbally or in writing, personally communicate to others that access is prohibited. Remember, it is unlawful to remove, mutilate, deface or destroy a sign or paint mark that is placed in order to prohibit or restrict access; and it is unlawful to post the land of another without permission of the landowner.

I fully agree........I'm just moving South is all to a nowhere town with a bunch of land near the mountains and lakes of SC or TN. Don't want the winters for retirement.

Where I am in Central MA....Im in the sticks....no need to drive up to Maine. I'm nowhere near hectic and can hunt right off my own land.

Absolutely if I lived in some retard town east of 495.....I'd have to go somewhere on weekends......but I would never live there.

Same here, to NC, SC, or TN. The fxcking real estate taxes are 1/4 of what I pay.
Evidently you've not heard of Kentucky?

When living in MA, my annual taxes on 1.88 acres was over 5k/year. No natural gas available, no city/town water available, no city/town sewage available, had to pay for trash pick up, along with all the other taxed BS.

Now, I live in Kentucky on 110 acres zoned as farmland, with inexpensive city water, extraordinarily reliable electric service that is less than 1/2 the cost of MA rates, the first 40K of my pension is non state taxable, plus a "homestead exemption" which reduces my real estate taxes which are less than 1/10th of MA tax on 50 times as much land. My car insurance rates are about the same but that can be selected by using a different insurance company.
I don't need to buy a hunting license to hunt my own property as a land owner,
constitutional carry open or concealed,
SHALL ISSUE if you desire to get a concealed carry permit for out of state endeavors,
STRONG Castle Doctrine Laws,
Sunday hunting,
NO NFA RESTRICTIONS,
cheaper gasoline prices,
cheaper food prices,
better roads
NO TRAFFIC
2 growing seasons,
Milder and shorter winters,
Far fewer libtards/leftists, unless you go to Louisville or Lexington
a part time legislature that is a super majority Republican and able to easily override a dem governor's veto on any law.
People are far more self sufficient in general,
Far better gun laws,
Gunshops are everywhere.....We like our guns in Kentucky!!
Lots of outdoors activities, rivers, lakes, campgrounds, hiking trails, mountains, etc.

Sales tax is 6% vs TN which is 10%.

Ok, enough..... I feel like I've died and gone to heaven being here and will never leave.

In dealing with replying to Post 33 & 34. What you state is all well and good but, I live in New Hampshire, so I don't have the No Sunday hunting issue. My lead off concern is the Legislation by Referendum. How much money and time has been wasted fighting the Communist Animal Rights A$$HOLES in past the years? Yes, You folks did win but for how long?
As far as real estate taxes go, I am paying less for 19 acres than what the current owner that bought our property in N. Chelmsford, Ma. is paying, For half an Acre. So that issue doesn't hunt.

Yes we had to spend a lot of money fighting ignorant peoples bullshit but on the plus side I'm only 20 miles south of the Golden Road and we don't have many people around.

When living in MA, my annual taxes on 1.88 acres was over 5k/year. No natural gas available, no city/town water available, no city/town sewage available, had to pay for trash pick up, along with all the other taxed BS.

Now, I live in Kentucky on 110 acres zoned as farmland, with inexpensive city water, extraordinarily reliable electric service that is less than 1/2 the cost of MA rates, the first 40K of my pension is non state taxable, plus a "homestead exemption" which reduces my real estate taxes which are less than 1/10th of MA tax on 50 times as much land. My car insurance rates are about the same but that can be selected by using a different insurance company.
SHALL ISSUE if you desire to get a concealed carry permit for out of state endeavors,
Sunday hunting,
NO NFA RESTRICTIONS,
cheaper gasoline prices,
cheaper food prices,
better roads
NO TRAFFIC
2 growing seasons,
a part time legislature that is a super majority Republican and able to easily override a dem governor's veto on any law.
Far better gun laws,
Lots of outdoors activities, rivers, lakes, campgrounds, hiking trails, mountains, etc.

Ok, enough..... I feel like I've died and gone to heaven being here and will never leave.
If I didn't have family connection to Maine and friends already there KY would be the top choice. Although I might give in and just head down there

When I was in the process of escaping NH was #1. Since NH went full retard with the housing we started looking in Maine. That lasted about a day. [rofl]

Maine is a great state. But it has high taxes, low wages and housing is also sorta expensive.

That's why I love FL. Middle of the road taxes, expensive housing and I can make $9.87 for hard work!

f*** me. [rofl]
Excuse me sir, But I find your strategies intriguing and I’d like to subscribe to your newsletter!

Good, although I find it disturbing that this even has to be a thing.
You remember what I said about "Legislation by Referendum"? This is where it worked. Now the state cannot stop folks from growing their own food. Just think that if you only had a small "Postage Stamp" yard and your neighbors had issues with you and then your garden or your chickens. There are towns in MA. That require a fee for each rabbit or chicken you own (CHELMSFORD) and no roosters.

I have been going to Maine since the 70's hunting & fishing and have a small camp for the past 30 years. My camp is in the Lincoln/Enfield area. There have been a lot of changes that I though I never see happen. The anti hunting has really spread far from Portland and Augusta. The Bangor News is now like the Boston Globe. In two years my property tax went from $1700 to $2600. No Police Dept. part time Fire Dept. The drug activity in these small towns around here is incredible. Just about every small town has a marijuana shop and the number of people being arrested for cocaine and other hard drugs is increasing. Some of the people being arrested have a New York city and New Jersey connection.

I still enjoy my time up there but it is not the same type of state that it was.

I have been going to Maine since the 70's hunting & fishing and have a small camp for the past 30 years. My camp is in the Lincoln/Enfield area. There have been a lot of changes that I though I never see happen. The anti hunting has really spread far from Portland and Augusta. The Bangor News is now like the Boston Globe. In two years my property tax went from $1700 to $2600. No Police Dept. part time Fire Dept. The drug activity in these small towns around here is incredible. Just about every small town has a marijuana shop and the number of people being arrested for cocaine and other hard drugs is increasing. Some of the people being arrested have a New York city and New Jersey connection.

I still enjoy my time up there but it is not the same type of state that it was.
It’s not changed much but the drug highway does not help obviously.
It ain’t the pot, beer, booze or Allen’s.

Yes, there are drugs up here. Just like every place else in the US. If you don't think your town or city has a hard-drug presence, you are kidding yourself.

And yes, it's not the same state it was 20 years ago. Just like NOWHERE is the same as it was 20 years ago.

Yes, there are drugs up here. Just like every place else in the US. If you don't think your town or city has a hard-drug presence, you are kidding yourself.

And yes, it's not the same state it was 20 years ago. Just like NOWHERE is the same as it was 20 years ago.
I'm not naive, of course there is drugs in my city, I was a cop for 30 years. If you don't think that there has been a big increase in the drug problem in small towns that are under a population of 1500 people in the past 10 years then you are kidding yourself.

I'm not naive, of course there is drugs in my city, I was a cop for 30 years. If you don't think that there has been a big increase in the drug problem in small towns that are under a population of 1500 people in the past 10 years then you are kidding yourself.
My eyes are open.

I did a lot of research on Maine. It is not for the working person to live in. Actually one of the worse states to live in if you are not retired. If retired, Maine becomes financially better to live in than Mass. Property taxes on my former home in Mass were $4400 a yr. I haven't gotten my tax bill yet here but we expect it to be under $2000.
They do tax retirement but there's a deduction of $10K that was increased to $25K for this year from your pension.

Sunday hunting,
NO NFA RESTRICTIONS,
cheaper gasoline prices,
cheaper food prices,
better roads
NO TRAFFIC
2 growing seasons,
Far better gun laws,

I bow hunted a private farm on 200 acres near Sadieville, Kentucky......love it out there too. We prefer to be a little more south as our daughter is in NC right now.

But KY is a strong 4th. If it was just me and not my wife....it would be #1 or #2 and I'd probably have bought a farm out there already. Id also be more open to the midwest like MO where land is even cheaper and deer are thick.

I believe that you have incorrect information on that.
This is from Maine Inland Fish and Wildlife:

Posting of Land and Criminal Trespass (17-A MRSA, §402)​

Property is posted if it is marked with signs or paint in one of the following ways and in a manner that is reasonably likely to come to the attention of an intruder:

1. Signs must indicate that access is prohibited, that access is prohibited without permission of the landowner or landowner's agent, or that access for a particular activity is prohibited.
  2. One vertical "OSHA Safety Purple" stripe at least one inch in width and at least 8 inches in length means "Access by Permission Only" when it is placed on trees, posts or stones between three and five feet off the ground. These signs or paint stripes must mark the property at distances no more than 100 feet apart at locations that are readily visible to any person approaching the property, and at all vehicular access entries from a public road.
In addition, landowners may also, either verbally or in writing, personally communicate to others that access is prohibited. Remember, it is unlawful to remove, mutilate, deface or destroy a sign or paint mark that is placed in order to prohibit or restrict access; and it is unlawful to post the land of another without permission of the landowner.
Yeah.....I don't want to paint my trees.

Land that's not posted in ME, MA, NH and VT gets walked and hunted on and ATV, etc. which none of I'm against.

But I am against people being on it and not doing what I intend for management. Of if Im putting money into land management, why would I want others to reap the benefits of my money and time.

Why does CT and NY, and nearly ALL of the other states hold so many more deer than New England states....its because you have to have private land permission on ANY land not state or public owned.

Oh! You mean like all the towns east Mass Zone 9. Where the deer are being treated as varmints.
Yeah.....I don't want to paint my trees.

Land that's not posted in ME, MA, NH and VT gets walked and hunted on and ATV, etc. which none of I'm against.

But I am against people being on it and not doing what I intend for management. Of if Im putting money into land management, why would I want others to reap the benefits of my money and time.

Why does CT and NY, and nearly ALL of the other states hold so many more deer than New England states....its because you have to have private land permission on ANY land not state or public owned.

My sister and her bf are trying to find a place in Maine (ugh I should be the one moving up there....). Sold her house down here in MA and is currently living at my dads hunting/skiing camp in the freeman township/Strong area while she finds a place.

She's put in multiple offers on numerous houses/land but every damn one of them fails the well and septic tests. All have arsenic and/or coliform bacteria in the water so she has to keep backing out. I'm well aware the arsenic is naturally occurring (widespread in Maine) but no one wants to drink/ingest that shit.

And none of the sellers are disclosing it so my sister keeps hiring inspectors to test the water. She seems to think that no one tests their water or no one cares to drink it. Yikes.

If anyone knows of properties listed for well under 200k (with clean water!) in west central Maine, let me know.

Oh! You mean like all the towns east Mass Zone 9. Where the deer are being treated as varmints.
Well......I prefer never ever to go east of MA Zone 9. Because its a clusterfxck of liberal fag towns, that created their own deer problem so i would never hunt there.

Where I live in Central MA, not much posted, but, shit for a deer herd, and pretty much the same thoughout ME, NH, and VT. Sure there are deer, but not like where I hunted in KY, CT and SC.
See lots of deer every day out, which I enjoy. I don't have to kill one everytime out, but I enjoy seeing them.

If your the see one or two a week type, or like to track big woods and see one or two deer and lot of moose. Northern New England is for you.

When I retire, I prefer to be on a big farm in a free state with a lot of deer though, and I would say there's one hell of a difference between that.......... and hunting off 128 in Carlisle.

Last edited:
We make up for the steep property taxes when we buy a new car (or new anything for that matter)
Or you don't get raped with State income tax.

Everyone is different, but overall living in NH you save money, even if your yearly RE tax is $1-2K more than MA.

Also, most desirable towns in MA have RE tax rates as high or higher than NH.

Not sure how it compares to ME.

My sister and her bf are trying to find a place in Maine (ugh I should be the one moving up there....). Sold her house down here in MA and is currently living at my dads hunting/skiing camp in the freeman township/Strong area while she finds a place.

She's put in multiple offers on numerous houses/land but every damn one of them fails the well and septic tests. All have arsenic and/or coliform bacteria in the water so she has to keep backing out. I'm well aware the arsenic is naturally occurring (widespread in Maine) but no one wants to drink/ingest that shit.

And none of the sellers are disclosing it so my sister keeps hiring inspectors to test the water. She seems to think that no one tests their water or no one cares to drink it. Yikes.

If anyone knows of properties listed for well under 200k (with clean water!) in west central Maine, let me know.
Screw drinking well water. I won't even drink the well water at my parents and it recently passed inspection.

Can the arsenic be bad for brushing teeth? If NO, then go for it.

Well......I prefer never ever to go east of MA Zone 9. Because its a clusterfxck of liberal fag towns, that created their own deer problem so i would never hunt there.

Where I live in Central MA, not much posted, but, shit for a deer herd, and pretty much the same thoughout ME, NH, and VT. Sure there are deer, but not like where I hunted in KY, CT and SC.
See lots of deer every day out, which I enjoy. I don't have to kill one everytime out, but I enjoy seeing them.

If your the see one or two a week type, or like to track big woods and see one or two deer and lot of moose. Northern New England is for you.

When I retire, I prefer to be on a big farm in a free state with a lot of deer though, and I would say there's one hell of a difference between that.......... and hunting off 128 in Carlisle.
The deer are very thick there.

Screw drinking well water. I won't even drink the well water at my parents and it recently passed inspection.

Can the arsenic be bad for brushing teeth? If NO, then go for it.
The water at my dad's camp is great - clean and tastes great. One of Poland Spring's water spring sources is only like 10 min from my dad's camp.

Arsenic isn't something I'd want to drink or cook with lol.

Back
Top Bottom