Maine

How do you like the fishing there? Any good stories?
Yes! Cobbee stream is awesome to fish. Lots of largemouth upwards of 5+ lbs that I have seen. I have the Tacoma lakes ramp 5 minutes from my home. It consists of 3 ponds and has both large and smallies there.

Maine is probably the best state in the NE for motorized outdoor recreation opportunities if you like that sort of thing. With the cost of gas, if you live there its great, if your travelling too there...its not. Just had a buddy tell me the other day they cancelled a near 20 year get together because of the price of gas to get up to his camp now.....300 in gas R/T. Guess he never figured in for that. Said he cut snowmobile season short for the same reason.

Like Cape Cod, SE coastal Maine beaches have become too expensive and not enough value for my taste.....we head south now and/or do all inclusives for a much better value. You get a place to stay right on the beach with hot tub and bar down south, for the same price as a stupid RT1 hotel. Plus parking is a rediculous 35 dollars a day at the beach if you have to park.

I once thought I'd retire in Maine, but now we are looking at Western North, or South Carolina or Tennessee. Same outdoor opportunities with lower taxes and much better weather. More deer, hogs and less game wardens bugging you. Not in the northeast, so less likely to be overrun by Democrats as well. Winter was really the deciding factor, the equipment I'd have to have up here for winter snow removal and all its bullshit on a big lot. I don't need it down there, and the older I get the more I hate freezing my ass off.

I would move to Maine in a heartbeat if it weren't for a few things. 1. Legislation by Referendum, 2. Hometown Rule, where a city or town can make By-laws or Ordinances more restrictive than the state law (unless there is legislated preemption) 3. No Sunday hunting, 4. Sales Tax, and 5. Income Tax

Fished the alagash in the spring and fall every year from 1995 to 2004. Stayed at Churchill dam.
Go see the locomotives and the tramway.

It’s on my list to take my wife and 3 kids there.
The trains and tramway are very cool. A friends uncle was part of re sitting the trains level. All moved in by 5 gallon buckets.
It’s a long full day adventure for us when we make the trip and we are starting from basically Lily Bay SP.

Maine is probably the best state in the NE for motorized outdoor recreation opportunities if you like that sort of thing. With the cost of gas, if you live there its great, if your travelling too there...its not. Just had a buddy tell me the other day they cancelled a near 20 year get together because of the price of gas to get up to his camp now.....300 in gas R/T. Guess he never figured in for that. Said he cut snowmobile season short for the same reason.

Like Cape Cod, SE coastal Maine beaches have become too expensive and not enough value for my taste.....we head south now and/or do all inclusives for a much better value. You get a place to stay right on the beach with hot tub and bar down south, for the same price as a stupid RT1 hotel. Plus parking is a rediculous 35 dollars a day at the beach if you have to park.

I once thought I'd retire in Maine, but now we are looking at Western North, or South Carolina or Tennessee. Same outdoor opportunities with lower taxes and much better weather. More deer, hogs and less game wardens bugging you. Not in the northeast, so less likely to be overrun by Democrats as well. Winter was really the deciding factor, the equipment I'd have to have up here for winter snow removal and all its bullshit on a big lot. I don't need it down there, and the older I get the more I hate freezing my ass off.
Nothing will stop me from enjoying life here. When hell freezes over I’ll snowmobile there too!! 😂
I commuted 270 miles each way at least 2 long weekends per month for 27 years. Living here is the balls. You can shove the hectic lifestyle down there.
I don’t even want to drive down for an upcoming 2 weddings but I must.

I would move to Maine in a heartbeat if it weren't for a few things. 1. Legislation by Referendum, 2. Hometown Rule, where a city or town can make By-laws or Ordinances more restrictive than the state law (unless there is legislated preemption) 3. No Sunday hunting, 4. Sales Tax, and 5. Income Tax

add to it their bottle tax

Maine was on the list before I moved from LA, but there were so many little advantages to NH that I passed on ME.

That said, if I was forced to move and stay in New England, Maine would be the only other option. I'd go back to NC, IN, or AK before the other four New England states.

Pay no attention to them, BigAl. It's almost a guarantee if Maine is mentioned as a place to live, folks from NH are the first to chime in "New Hampshire is better!"
Of course, they've never lived here.
When I was in the process of escaping NH was #1. Since NH went full retard with the housing we started looking in Maine. That lasted about a day. [rofl]

Maine is a great state. But it has high taxes, low wages and housing is also sorta expensive.

That's why I love FL. Middle of the road taxes, expensive housing and I can make $9.87 for hard work!

f*** me. [rofl]

Nothing will stop me from enjoying life here. When hell freezes over I’ll snowmobile there too!! 😂
I commuted 270 miles each way at least 2 long weekends per month for 27 years. Living here is the balls. You can shove the hectic lifestyle down there.
I don’t even want to drive down for an upcoming 2 weddings but I must.
I fully agree........I'm just moving South is all to a nowhere town with a bunch of land near the mountains and lakes of SC or TN. Don't want the winters for retirement.

Where I am in Central MA....Im in the sticks....no need to drive up to Maine. I'm nowhere near hectic and can hunt right off my own land.

Absolutely if I lived in some retard town east of 495.....I'd have to go somewhere on weekends......but I would never live there.

One day I would like to go to the really northern part of Maine and fish, drink and ride dirt bikes.

Got spoiled in California, in 2 hours I could be in total isolation in a natl forest.. Here I have to drive 7 hours, kinda puts a damper on things :)

The whole no sunday hunting and private land being open unless posted is not really great either.

There are some huge state and federal areas down south in the mountains if I want to go get lost on big public land.

One day I would like to go to the really northern part of Maine and fish, drink and ride dirt bikes.

Got spoiled in California, in 2 hours I could be in total isolation in a natl forest.. Here I have to drive 7 hours, kinda puts a damper on things :)
The west is really where its at, with national forest land.

Back
Top Bottom