• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine

She's put in multiple offers on numerous houses/land but every damn one of them fails the well and septic tests. All have arsenic and/or coliform bacteria in the water so she has to keep backing out. I'm well aware the arsenic is naturally occurring (widespread in Maine) but no one wants to drink/ingest that shit.

If the buyer finances through Maine State Housing they require the septic and well be tested. I found that out when I sold a rental property up there and the well failed the test. I ended up spending a few thousand to get a filtration system installed and then the well passed the test. Probably more today as this was back in the late 90s and I'm sure the price is much higher now.

If the buyer finances through Maine State Housing they require the septic and well be tested. I found that out when I sold a rental property up there and the well failed the test. I ended up spending a few thousand to get a filtration system installed and then the well passed the test. Probably more today as this was back in the late 90s and I'm sure the price is much higher now.
No she's hoping to pay with cash. But that's good to know. She was looking into filtration systems but theres just not enough time (in relation to closing etc) to research it and determine costs, maintenance etc to see if it's worth it.

Screw drinking well water. I won't even drink the well water at my parents and it recently passed inspection.

Can the arsenic be bad for brushing teeth? If NO, then go for it.
I got a well and the water tastes perfect . I have had the recent urge to lick windows but i think that's from chewing on sprue plate lead chips from my moulds . ;)

My sister and her bf are trying to find a place in Maine (ugh I should be the one moving up there....). Sold her house down here in MA and is currently living at my dads hunting/skiing camp in the freeman township/Strong area while she finds a place.

She's put in multiple offers on numerous houses/land but every damn one of them fails the well and septic tests. All have arsenic and/or coliform bacteria in the water so she has to keep backing out. I'm well aware the arsenic is naturally occurring (widespread in Maine) but no one wants to drink/ingest that shit.

And none of the sellers are disclosing it so my sister keeps hiring inspectors to test the water. She seems to think that no one tests their water or no one cares to drink it. Yikes.

If anyone knows of properties listed for well under 200k (with clean water!) in west central Maine, let me know.
I'm on the seacoast of NH and put in a filter because of it. Apparently the granite doesn't help. Only an issue for water that's consumed.

No she's hoping to pay with cash. But that's good to know. She was looking into filtration systems but theres just not enough time (in relation to closing etc) to research it and determine costs, maintenance etc to see if it's worth it.

The sale fell through when the well failed but I had to get it fixed because once it failed the realtor and myself were aware of the failure so I had to disclose. We got the filtration system installed, retested and passed and then went back on the market and sold with no issues. I bet there are a crap load of wells in Maine that if tested would fail.

I'm on the seacoast of NH and put in a filter because of it. Apparently the granite doesn't help. Only an issue for water that's consumed.
Good to know. Is the maintenance a pain in the ass/costly or? Does it treat the water that comes into the house or is it only filtering the water for your sinks etc?
Yes the granite is the issue

My sister and her bf are trying to find a place in Maine (ugh I should be the one moving up there....). Sold her house down here in MA and is currently living at my dads hunting/skiing camp in the freeman township/Strong area while she finds a place.

And none of the sellers are disclosing it so my sister keeps hiring inspectors to test the water. She seems to think that no one tests their water or no one cares to drink it. Yikes.

If anyone knows of properties listed for well under 200k (with clean water!) in west central Maine, let me know.
Actually, everyone drinks it. We just put an arsenic filter system in. We have been drinking the water even before we put the system in. But, we have a new home with a new well. We should have waited 6 months before testing it. My buddy lives 4 miles from me and his passed all the tests. No problems with his. I wouldn't let a well water test stop me from buying up here. Maine has stricter well values than other states. For instance, Radon needs to be under 4000 P/cl or whatever it is but in Mass it only needs to be under 10,000. Mine came in at just under 15,000 and I don't care. We'll test the well next year again when it settles in.

Except for the property taxes

We make up for the steep property taxes when we buy a new car (or new anything for that matter)

I would move to Maine in a heartbeat if it weren't for a few things. 1. Legislation by Referendum, 2. Hometown Rule, where a city or town can make By-laws or Ordinances more restrictive than the state law (unless there is legislated preemption) 3. No Sunday hunting, 4. Sales Tax, and 5. Income Tax
Yes and No. We looked at ME and NH. Both have high property taxes. ME wages were less than NH (hard to imagine, I know) and had income tax on top of it. NH people pay for the no sales tax that all the tourists get to enjoy by paying high property taxes (we rent, but the land lord will add them to the rent) and paying the tax each year on our vehicles at registration time. Having a "Gun Line" do the BGC's for handguns sucks, but ME uses the SP for all of theirs, so you'll have to wait for any firearm sale.

When I can, I'm going back to AZ. I'll miss the ME beaches, but that's it.

Actually, everyone drinks it. We just put an arsenic filter system in. We have been drinking the water even before we put the system in. But, we have a new home with a new well. We should have waited 6 months before testing it. My buddy lives 4 miles from me and his passed all the tests. No problems with his. I wouldn't let a well water test stop me from buying up here. Maine has stricter well values than other states. For instance, Radon needs to be under 4000 P/cl or whatever it is but in Mass it only needs to be under 10,000. Mine came in at just under 15,000 and I don't care. We'll test the well next year again when it settles in.
How much was the arsenic filtration and is it filtering the water as it enters the house or just from the tap etc? I’d assume it doesn’t filter your hot water? Is it reverse osmosis?

How much was the arsenic filtration and is it filtering the water as it enters the house or just from the tap etc? I’d assume it doesn’t filter your hot water? Is it reverse osmosis?
My reading was 29.5. The max in Maine is 10.0. I believe it is reverse osmosis. 4 filters with a 3 gal tank under the sink and a separate faucet.

Having owned a few Kriss vectors I can say w some certainty they excel at being awkward and ultimately pointless. Perhaps in full auto the Downgoing bolt thing checks a box. i wouldn’t know.

Back
Top Bottom