• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine vs Sunday Hunting

"The lawsuit targeting Maine’s ban on Sunday hunting is the first to argue that a new constitutional right to food trumps a major state law. The Parkers contend the ban is archaic and prevents them from harvesting food for their family.

Democratic lobbyist Jared Bornstein, executive director of Maine Hunters United for Sunday Hunting, the group that spearheaded the most recent effort to overturn the state’s law prohibiting hunting on Sunday, said the ruling does not mean the suit is over, rather that the Parkers will be filing an appeal to the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.

“It does look bad, but it’s really not,” Bornstein said of the judge’s decision."

I think the law is a joke however many small woodlot owners have clearly stated that they will post their properties if enacted.
Now what?

I think the law is a joke however many small woodlot owners have clearly stated that they will post their properties if enacted.
Now what?
Why the fxck would they do that if they are OK with hunting on any other day? This is the most retarded thing I've ever heard of.

But whatever, who cares, its still better to have Sunday Hunting for the greater good, even if a few fags post their land.

Last edited:
Why the fxck would they do that if they are OK with hunting on any other day? This is the most retarded thing I've ever heard of.

But whatever, who cares, its still better to have Sunday Hunting, even if a few fags post their land.
Not my monkey.
Not my circus.

It’s just too simple to wear blaze orange like the other 6 days of the week. That’s the biggest color I see up here.

Sunday for bow hunting should be a no brainer in Mass. How many guys have to work 5 days a week if not 6, only leaving 1 day to hunt on Saturday.
Im a big bowhunter....but I'm not a proponent of just opening it up to that only, as its unfair.

The only Sunday hunting that I consider open is all methods. If gun is not allowed, you might as well say Sunday hunting is illegal.

Most people pay for the license, it should not be a segregated right to hunt for a certain group.

Im a big bowhunter....but I'm not a proponent of just opening it up to that only, as its unfair.

The only Sunday hunting that I consider open is all methods. If gun is not allowed, you might as well say Sunday hunting is illegal.

Most people pay for the license, it should not be a segregated right to hunt for a certain group.
I agree

This prohibition on Sunday hunting is a holdover from days of the Massachusetts "blue laws" from the time when Maine was part of Massachusetts. You will find that Maine almost mirrors those laws. Up until 1820 when the Missouri Compromise, when it became a state so that there was one slave state and one non slave state.

Last edited:
Now what?
I understand people who might want their land to themselves on sundays in the fall….what about people who want to hunt their own land or other open land? The statewide Sunday prohibition should go the way of the dodo bird, imho. If nothing else it should be allowed where people have given express permission. It will be very interesting to see how the food amendment argument plays out.

I liked when an EPO officer said in front of a group of my buddy's one day that deer season for shotgun was two weeks, I nicely corrected him and said "you mean 12 days sir", he looked baffled until he thought about it and said all of his carrier he just viewed the season as a "two weeks" and never really put it in his head its really only 12 days.

Now at the end of BP I have two more buck tags to fill and i'm down to a single shot gun, would be nice to have my shotgun to fill them. Plus this hole tradition thing that shotgun opens the first week after thanksgiving, again old Granpa blue rules kicks in. Why can't shotgun be open during the rut, when the deer are moving more.

Its not like 20 years ago when you had a ton more people walking the woods pushing them around, I hardly see anyone now and the deer some days just sit around an area and don't move much if they found food and water. But during the rut they are looking to get laid hence they are active.
I don't bow hunt, I would like to with a cross bow but there again the old Granpa rules come into play, you got to have an injury and get a doctors note, such B%llsh&t.

And to top it all of the Lic went up what 2 times the normal cost, nothing is easy or normal when moonbats make the rules.

I liked when an EPO officer said in front of a group of my buddy's one day that deer season for shotgun was two weeks, I nicely corrected him and said "you mean 12 days sir", he looked baffled until he thought about it and said all of his carrier he just viewed the season as a "two weeks" and never really put it in his head its really only 12 days.

Now at the end of BP I have two more buck tags to fill and i'm down to a single shot gun, would be nice to have my shotgun to fill them. Plus this hole tradition thing that shotgun opens the first week after thanksgiving, again old Granpa blue rules kicks in. Why can't shotgun be open during the rut, when the deer are moving more.

Its not like 20 years ago when you had a ton more people walking the woods pushing them around, I hardly see anyone now and the deer some days just sit around an area and don't move much if they found food and water. But during the rut they are looking to get laid hence they are active.
I don't bow hunt, I would like to with a cross bow but there again the old Granpa rules come into play, you got to have an injury and get a doctors note, such B%llsh&t.

And to top it all of the Lic went up what 2 times the normal cost, nothing is easy or normal when moonbats make the rules.
The best thing that you folks can do in that dump is not buy any license from Fakers and Wankers for two years and tell them why. Let them piss, moan and cry. They need to learn who pays their bills.

I understand people who might want their land to themselves on sundays in the fall….what about people who want to hunt their own land or other open land? The statewide Sunday prohibition should go the way of the dodo bird, imho. If nothing else it should be allowed where people have given express permission. It will be very interesting to see how the food amendment argument plays out.
That might work on smaller lots however it would be near impossible to enforce.

Even bowhunting around here aint what it used to be in Central MA..........I see very few deer now.

Between the mix of poor management and lack of hunting pressure shotgun season is a joke. Ten years ago I'd sit shotgun season on Saturday and if there weren't 10 shots by 8-9am it was slow. I sat this opening Saturday and didn't hear 1 shot. Not 1 by 10 am. So....there are either no deer, no hunters....or both.

And what I struggle with....that is there is a lack of hunting pressure....why are there not a ton of deer around?

Even bowhunting around here aint what it used to be in Central MA..........I see very few deer now.

Between the mix of poor management and lack of hunting pressure shotgun season is a joke. Ten years ago I'd sit shotgun season on Saturday and if there weren't 10 shots by 8-9am it was slow. I sat this opening Saturday and didn't hear 1 shot. Not 1 by 10 am. So....there are either no deer, no hunters....or both.

And what I struggle with....that is there is a lack of hunting pressure....why are there not a ton of deer around?
I agree that central mass does not have that many deer. I am out hunting as much as I can and go whole days with out seeing a deer.

Sunday for bow hunting should be a no brainer in Mass. How many guys have to work 5 days a week if not 6, only leaving 1 day to hunt on Saturday.
Exactly, i'd say 10% of the guys I run into in construction are hunters, but guess what? we work 6 days a week fairly often. If they really wanted to cut down on the population, they'd allow sunday hunting
Now what?
post them! I cant imagine enough people would really go through the effort of maintaining the signs to make it worth considering catering to them.
Why just bow? My license costs the same as the bow hunters.
not true, we pay extra for an archery license. although I do agree with you that gun hunters should be allowed the same freedom

theyre all in my backyard!

The best thing that you folks can do in that dump is not buy any license from Fakers and Wankers for two years and tell them why. Let them piss, moan and cry. They need to learn who pays their bills.
Honestly, now that my dog is gone. This is me next year. Not buying a license here anymore.

Anyway.....back to the Sunday in Maine thing. MA is gay and we all know Sunday hunting will never happen here.

Exactly, i'd say 10% of the guys I run into in construction are hunters, but guess what? we work 6 days a week fairly often. If they really wanted to cut down on the population, they'd allow sunday hunting

post them! I cant imagine enough people would really go through the effort of maintaining the signs to make it worth considering catering to them.

not true, we pay extra for an archery license. although I do agree with you that gun hunters should be allowed the same freedom

theyre all in my backyard!
Your on the South shore. I'm talking North Central MA. Two totally different areas,

deer are easy living in the east where you can't hunt them.

Remember the law of unintended consequences.
The small woodland owners Assn, who represents the majority of private landowners in Maine, have said if Sunday hunting passes, they'll push for written permission required to access all private land.
THAT would be a huge obstacle compared to no Sunday hunting. Large corporate landowners like Huber and Irving might just close the gates. Can you imagine them dealing with hundreds (thousands?) of requests for written permission?

Remember the law of unintended consequences.
The small woodland owners Assn, who represents the majority of private landowners in Maine, have said if Sunday hunting passes, they'll push for written permission required to access all private land.
THAT would be a huge obstacle compared to no Sunday hunting. Large corporate landowners like Huber and Irving might just close the gates. Can you imagine them dealing with hundreds (thousands?) of requests for written permission?
Again. Not understanding here......if they are OK with hunting then why not Sunday.

Sounds like they are not OK with hunting and just using it as a reason to close their lands.

Sounds like your small woodland association sucks........of course they'll hold everything over your head like sledding and atv's etc......

Again. Not understanding here......if they are OK with hunting then why not Sunday.

Sounds like they are not OK with hunting and just using it as a reason to close their lands.

Sounds like your small woodland association sucks........of course they'll hold everything over your head like sledding and atv's etc......
I'm not saying I agree with them. I'm just saying they are the ones that actually OWN the land that everybody up here accesses (for free) and we might want to take into consideration what they want.

I'm not saying I agree with them. I'm just saying they are the ones that actually OWN the land that everybody up here accesses (for free) and we might want to take into consideration what they want.
It sounds like they hold the cards if you want to keep Northern ME open.

It sounds like they hold the cards if you want to keep Northern ME open.
We have it bad enough with Weyerhaeuser blocking roads and changing trails. We don’t need to piss them off. Maine is the only state where they don’t block off all access.
Go hunt someplace else if you must have Sunday hunting. The open access to their property for the rest of the 9 months is MUCH more important.

We have it bad enough with Weyerhaeuser blocking roads and changing trails. We don’t need to piss them off. Maine is the only state where they don’t block off all access.
Go hunt someplace else if you must have Sunday hunting. The open access to their property for the rest of the 9 months is MUCH more important.
Don't hunt, fish, snowmobile or ATV in Maine.....so no dog in this fight. Could care less. Guess the big companies pretty much own it up there.

Don't forget all the snowmobile trail work that gets done on Sundays. We get most/all of our trail work done on Sundays in Oct/Dec. I'd lose more than half of my guys if they had the option to hunt that day.

Also, be prepared for a shorter hunting season: they'd have to knock off a week of the general firearms season to make up for the additional kill numbers.

Like I said: unintended consequences.

Back
Top Bottom