Maine to Pennsylvania

Driving from Maine down to my in-laws farm in PA for Thanksgiving. Given the fact they have a 700 yard corn field I want to bring my rifle (AR-15 I built) and test it out.

Obviously the states between Maine and PA are not very friendly and I have read the other threads on this topic but had a few other questions. I know about FOPA but from the stories I have read I may not want to count on that. Here are my 3 questions:

1. Bringing my ar through states with magazine capacity laws - if I dont bring any mags is it still a "high capacity rifle"?

2. If I bring just my upper and use my brother in-laws lower are there any transport issues with an upper?

3. I also want to bring my reloads (69gr Sierra Match Kings) which are hollow point boat tail bullets. Any issues going through New Jersey?

Thanks in advance guys!

Lock your guns, ammo, and mags separate from each other. Ensure they are not accessible. If you stop or deviate from the highway, you are are risk.

1. It is an Assault Weapon strictly banned either by features or Model
2. Upper is not a firearm, you are depending on the intelligence of the officer to understand this.
3. http://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-hollowpoint.shtml

Personally I enjoy driving.

*I* would probably go west through NH and VT, then go straight to PA through NY. Only one hostile state and the drive can be done in a long day of driving.

Your mileage may vary ;)

Personally I enjoy driving.

*I* would probably go west through NH and VT, then go straight to PA through NY. Only one hostile state and the drive can be done in a long day of driving.

Your mileage may vary ;)

This, ill just add that all he really has to do is lock his shit up (hard cases with locks), out of sight, and keep the paraphernalia out of sight. If he transits NY via Matamoras he'll cut out NJ entirely. This assumes, of course, a good vehicle without busted lights, invalid reg, stickers, etc. And absolutely no "tells", gun bumper stickers, etc. And watch speed limits in NY state.... the gun thing likely wont be a problem if he buckles down, but getting stopped or getting a ticket can be because they can be dbags about speed enforcement. When route planning stick to major highways and blend in with the herd, stay off back roads and out of the sticks when in commie territories.

-Mike

Driving from Maine down to my in-laws farm in PA for Thanksgiving. Given the fact they have a 700 yard corn field I want to bring my rifle (AR-15 I built) and test it out.

Obviously the states between Maine and PA are not very friendly and I have read the other threads on this topic but had a few other questions. I know about FOPA but from the stories I have read I may not want to count on that. Here are my 3 questions:

1. Bringing my ar through states with magazine capacity laws - if I dont bring any mags is it still a "high capacity rifle"?

2. If I bring just my upper and use my brother in-laws lower are there any transport issues with an upper?

3. I also want to bring my reloads (69gr Sierra Match Kings) which are hollow point boat tail bullets. Any issues going through New Jersey?

Thanks in advance guys!

1) No.
2) No. An upper is not a firearm.
3) Possibly. Read this: http://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-hollowpoint.shtml

Key points seem to be:
Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1. A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
  2. A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
  3. A person going directly to a target range, and;
  4. A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."
As with other ammunition and firearms, a sportsman would have to comply with the provisions of N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f and g when transporting hollow nose ammunition to a target range. The ammunition should be stored in a closed and fastened container or locked in the trunk of the motor vehicle in which it is being transported. The course of travel should be as direct as possible when going to and leaving from the target range with "only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances." N.J.S.A 2C:39-6g.

Back
Top Bottom